Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: growing willow moss emersed

growing willow moss emersed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    is this possible and what is the best way i should go about doing it
    do i just pleace the moss over some drifwood, wrap it with glad wrap and let it attach it self to the wood

thanks

Err... the wrap is a bad idea... use nylon string to tie it down (fishing line) as it doesnt disintegrate or rust (unlike cotton and wire respectively)

cant the moss just attach itself to the wood naturally
    without being tied down

cannot... it will not stick to the wood.

i did not put the wood in water
    it is emersed

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    You can't use glad wrap simply because the plant would not be able to "breathe". Dun forget plants needs to exchange CO2 and O2 for photosynthesis and respiration.

Personally I like to use cotton string. It is much easier to handle compared to nylon fishing string. Unlike riccia, mosses will attach itself to the wood after some time.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    let it emerse and if you can put a spray bar on top of it then use it to make it wet and not too dry.. and soon the moss will attach itself to the wood/stone. but the water from the spray bar must not be too strong that it will move the moss from the wood or stone..
    If I have a dollar & you have a dollar & we swap, neither is better off. BUT if I have an idea & you have an idea & we swap we are both richer

I think Teo's doing that way at their farm...check out the 'misty' section...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    a easier method, get a container (best an empty tank) place the mosses into it with a little water.. then use the glad wrap and cover the top.. this will retain the moisture it... it might take a while before it grow emersed.. but it should work.. I'm using the method with crypts

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: growing willow moss emersed

I have seen Java, Taiwan/Mini, Christmas Moss but what is Willow Moss ? Anyone got a picture of it ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Bro,

What i did for the williow moss is that I bought stainless steel plate from NA, lay them over it with a netting and over time it will grow over it completely without any sight of the net at all. If you want it to be on the drift wood, tie it with fine fishing string. It will be cover in no time.

You need to keep your water temp at 25 is possible as they will grow very fast.

Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    this is something which puzzles me. We are told that moss needs cold temp, below 28 deg Cel. Yet, when we talk of growing it emersed, our ambient temp is definitely way above 28, unless we're talking of growing it in an air-con room!