Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Canister Filter.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Very old links of other DIY items. Got some other links but the host upgraded the fourm software.
    Yah, saw that before, the current one looks a bit shitty. Bring you click here and click there and nothing much shows up.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Let's wait for Ts to post. I also lazy to dig lol
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any idea the blue aging tub is water proof tight ? i see some for sale with a metal lock bracket

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you for all the materials. Shall save them for reference again in the future. So far so good. I force water in and there seem to be no leakage for the moment. Think of putting the pump in the container itself as I read that It will be easier on the container as suction stress the container lesser than compared to placing the pump in the tank and pump the water into the container.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by derekthy View Post
    Thank you for all the materials. Shall save them for reference again in the future. So far so good. I force water in and there seem to be no leakage for the moment. Think of putting the pump in the container itself as I read that It will be easier on the container as suction stress the container lesser than compared to placing the pump in the tank and pump the water into the container.
    If you are using plastic containers, the bottom just poke holes and let it drip. You don't have to rain down like waterfall. A slow pump usually do the trick.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    If you are using plastic containers, the bottom just poke holes and let it drip. You don't have to rain down like waterfall. A slow pump usually do the trick.
    Sorry. I don't understand you

Anyways, it looks like this now. It's not fully done yet.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

One suggestion I'd give you to aid you along is to have a bleeder valve on the lid, so that any trapped air can escape easily. If you are going to use this as a canister, do not pack it too much. If you impede water flow through this box, the lid may just give way.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It's looking good .
    Don't place it too low from the tank, most of the time DIY canister give way due to water pressure.
    The seals are actually quite neatly done, you have good fingers for DIY.

Since it seems wet, i assume you have tested it? don't shy youtube video please

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha. Looks like it leaks !!! Haha. The latch not strong enough to contain the pressure and leaks at the cover area. The fittings I done are good thought. Back to the drawing board! Will update again this weekend with new modifications to fix the leak problem.

Should I compile a list of cost, materials and parts used when I complete it ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry. I don't understand you

Okay, basically you have an eye for DIY. But like the rest pointed out, this container cannot take pressure. And you cannot use silicone because you would want to open it. Your idea is there, I was referring to a bottle instead of a container, that is why you could not picture it. Now you would have the thought that it's not long enough. It's not secure enough on top. You could stick to this first and replace with a taller one later assuming you find the right container later. Idea here is to get your prototype working first.

The rule to design is: If it does not look right, it is confirmed not right. If it looks right, it is almost confirm it is right.

Here is another thing, it is too light. Hence you find just the tubings along you'd face difficulties keeping the container still. Gravel could help to weight it down as one of the media layer. Considering the pump behind, it should be alright, maybe you can conduct a test run and see. The pipes and holes are very well done. So plus plus point to you on that. Now there is no air going in? During your test, first test loosen the cover, 2nd test tighten your cover, observe your flow for 5-10mins in each tests. You can consider what stormy said in #27 which most likely would be the case.

Actually if air were to go in as in the loosen test, you can just poke a few holes on top to let air in but the small pump must not pump a lot.
    Yes, do a costing at the end. Some people might just want to pick up where you left off.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hahaha. Looks like it leaks !!! Haha. The latch not strong enough to contain the pressure and leaks at the cover area. The fittings I done are good thought. Back to the drawing board! Will update again this weekend with new modifications to fix the leak problem.

Should I compile a list of cost, materials and parts used when I complete it ?
    Would reducing your media help then?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi derekthy,

Where did you get the fittings from and how much did they cost? I am thinking of make 1 my own if the cost factor is low. My choice of container is a air tight cookie jar. I think it may be able to handle the pressure better.
    Here is one done by someone:
    Link

The design I have in mind is something like this: Link

The idea of using a pre-filter as a canister filter seems better and more cost effective.

Just to clarify, the leaks are coming from the lid of the lock-lock container not the fittings; Right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Anu182, Derekthy last post was 18th August 2012. Not sure whether he is active now. From the picture, it looks like the fitting from Gardena, a garden equipment brand locally found at those diy shops.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Anu182,

It has been more than a year since I started that project. After the test for leak, I put the project on hold. It leaks at the lid if I place it too low which increases the pressure.
    If place at the same level as the tank, it won't leak but pressure will be too low for it to work properly. As of now, I'm too lazy to continue and will be too tired after work.
    There are no leaks from the fittings. Also, the fittings are bought from a neighbourhood homeware store. Cost about a dollar to two dollars each. The most expensive part
    is the container itself at about 7 dollars plus. I cannot remember the exact cost.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/...anister-filter

DIY TALL canister filter, that forum contain lots of DIY stuff, from tank to filter. for those who love DIY-ing at home, that forum is perfect for you to get inspiration and tips.

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore

If your decision to DIY has to do with cost, rather than itchy fingers, please do consider again.

Unless you are able to find a tub and cover with o ring and material like those canisters out there, there is a high chance that the DIY canister will fail due to immense pressure created by the elevated height of the tank, as well as the power head.

I believe with everything in place, you can get a second hand cheap canister filter in the forums.

I've seen <$20 canister filters in our marketplace forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by anu182 View Post
    Hi derekthy,

Where did you get the fittings from and how much did they cost? I am thinking of make 1 my own if the cost factor is low. My choice of container is a air tight cookie jar. I think it may be able to handle the pressure better.
    Here is one done by someone:
    Link

The design I have in mind is something like this: Link

The idea of using a pre-filter as a canister filter seems better and more cost effective.

Just to clarify, the leaks are coming from the lid of the lock-lock container not the fittings; Right?
    If the DIY is workable and can take pressure it would not cost much from a actual cheap canister or a used unit.
    Likewise if what you envision, place and display since it is nicer looking that way less worry of preassure causing a leak over time. that way can validate the cost and effort as a display to showcase your DIY canister.

btw just wondering, your airtight cookie jar and the fittings, how will you secure it and prevent leaking? as i know most cookie jars are round seldom come by square ones and will pose difficulty.

About using a prefilter, not cost effective to use as a canister replacement.
    1: Prefilter cheap, and quite a number of them are based right off the mould of the canister versions.
    See Ehiem Subfilter (Ehiem's prefilter),

2: You'll need a powerhead to drive it right? adding the price of that yet to the total costs?

Anyway, speaking the truth. i also tried to make before just for the fun of it the costs went up to about $17+/-.
    Container lock and lock square (forgot model) existing
    power head about $10 (roughly)
    filter wool $3
    course sponge $3
    PVC pipes from hardware shop, $0.80 per ft, i got extra for the in case and in case.
    Silicon (1 tube), existing from other play play projects

Just for reference those quick release pipe fitting are not made to hold pressure over time.

That point of time that tank i wanted to use it was having a Boyu EF-05. Bought at $23 from poly art.
    But turns out my envisioned DIY canister quite ugly when in use so never display it (i only want compliments from my relatives and not they laughing at my DIY canister ugly ) and throw everything but the powerhead.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its more of itchy hands but being a student, I want to find the cheapest way too.

Read that the gasket for the cookie jar needs to be replaced with a thicker rubber to handle the pressure.
    I think the cookie jar will do better in terms of pressure and defiantly in looks
    Was think of the pressure on the quick release too..

Currently set the project a side and looking for a cheap canister... (this does not mean project r.i.p )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12