Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DIY Canister Filter.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys. Hands getting itchy and now trying to make a canister filter. Where can I find cheap air tight containers? Tried lock and lock but it is rather expensive. For a 1 litre plus lock and lock, it is already SGD$6.90. Are there any alternatives?

Currently it looks like this:

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Canister Filter.

That is already very cheap, considering the good quality and tight seal, which is a must for such a project.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You won't find any cheaper, maybe at Daiso but I doubt it. Most people rely on Lock n Lock containers for their DIY canister projects.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

good idea, but wont just getting one prefilter off the shelf be easier? considering you'll still need a motor?
    i got a 1.5litre prefilter for only $20+

Low tech tank FTW!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can easily save space in the canister by placing the pump in the tank. However, the hinges of the Lock N Lock container may not hold from prolonged usage.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like I have no choice but to stick with lock and lock now. Will look for alternatives other than lock and lock. As of now, I'm using a HOF. I do not have a Canister filter so I'm making one because it's not cheap and with this, I can make several and link them up.

I am think of doing 2 with the first one filtering all the solid particles and the second one doing biological filtering using ceramic rings. any other suggestion ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't mind the cost, a set of OHF trays will be more cost effective and just as good as a canister filter. With proper placement of the media, you can have both mechanical and bio filtration capability. It is far easier to fiddle around with an OHF as compared to a canister, and the wet/dry effect coupled with the dripping can cool your tanks and provide adequate filtration.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

First of all, what is the reason you are "messing around" with canister filters, lol?

Granted that canister filters are the "in thing to be seen with" in fish circles, I would not go for it unless my tank is big, eg. 4 ft or bigger. But even with a 3ft or 4ft tank, I will still prefer to use two units of power Hang-On filters running at the same time, with the added advantage that one acts as a built-in backup in case one of them fails.

Canister filters are expensive due mainly to their powerful motors for huge tanks where Hang-On filters are inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthy View Post
    Looks like I have no choice but to stick with lock and lock now. Will look for alternatives other than lock and lock. As of now, I'm using a HOF. I do not have a Canister filter so I'm making one because it's not cheap and with this, I can make several and link them up.

I am think of doing 2 with the first one filtering all the solid particles and the second one doing biological filtering using ceramic rings. any other suggestion ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

First of all, I agree with what all of you said. Just hands itchy, want to do something and experiment around. I appreciate the thought of trying to help me save money too. Thank you! But since I have already started off doing part of it already, I don't want to waste it. I hope you guys can help me answer my questions in the previous posts.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You should go ahead with your project. Since you are experimenting, it is very good. But even if you build your own canister filter, it is very good. Saves cost while you learn all about those filters. What you learn will be very useful later on in your hobby.
    First of all, I agree with what all of you said. Just hands itchy, want to do something and experiment around. I appreciate the thought of trying to help me save money too. Thank you! But since I have already started off doing part of it already, I don't want to waste it. I hope you guys can help me answer my questions in the previous posts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    You should go ahead with your project. Since you are experimenting, it is very good. But even if you build your own canister filter, it is very good. Saves cost while you learn all about those filters. What you learn will be very useful later on in your hobby.
    Thank you very much for your encouragement!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Well, its not about being "in" but the pure fact that canister filters have better filtering capabilities, more media and better water flow. And also to hide it away from view. I suggest you can look at 2nd hand filters by the bros here or those cheaper china brand like jebo. Certainly will have lower risks then a lock & lock, time spent and risks of leaks just doesnt make it worth while in the long run.

Personally, the Cheapest and safest diy way would probably be using a large container as a sump concept, with diy overflow pipe and a return pump. Hope this helps

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you very much for your encouragement!
    Have you tried a 1.5L Bottle? Inverted, slice the top, bottom like a funnel?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Look at this DIY 1.5L Hydroponic Planting Technique. Now try to draw some idea and see if you can modify it to a canister filter.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

With your flair for DIY, I am sure you have some good ideas to share about DIY filters.

By the way, your rack project is getting more and more interesting as the episodes progress. Always on the lookout for the next episode, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Have you tried a 1.5L Bottle? Inverted, slice the top, bottom like a funnel?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/show...3-Filter-D-I-Y
    This guy has some awesome diy filters. See if it'll fuel your ideas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    With your flair for DIY, I am sure you have some good ideas to share about DIY filters.

By the way, your rack project is getting more and more interesting as the episodes progress. Always on the lookout for the next episode, lol.
    Thanks.....think need to rest a bit for now before I continue.

DIY is about exploring ideas, to do something better or to do something cheap. But sometimes, cost may not be a factor. For example, if you think the current filter ain't that good, you might want to come out with a version of your own. And it's what Jovel's video is trying to show here. But if you just want to explore, you are most welcome to do so. Only a few outcome will there be. You are successful. You failed. You stopped half way. But DIY is also about other people who can replicate what you are doing and get a similar result (note that our tanks and setup differs hence the build might have similar concept but the build itself might be different).

Uncle google is your friend. If the search result is not what you want, add "Aquarium" behind, if they show different thing like food "-food" behind the search string. This is how you maximise the search result. Occasionally you just click on Images on Uncle google and you might see something that you like.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good to play around. Understanding how a item works will benefit you in the future.
    Now, before you complete this you might want to read up DIY more.
    http://www.aquariaforums.com/aquarium-diy-plans/

However, some DIY is not cheap but in the hobbyist view is better then whats offered in LFS.

BTW: side note the hose your using is not 100% water tight, it will leak under higher pressure.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ha Ha...Felix, that link not very good.

Here is another project on the youtube you can just see see look look. Now the filter media and the bottle can be a 1.5L size.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very old links of other DIY items. Got some other links but the host upgraded the fourm software.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast