Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

My first planted tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    2012-04-06 19-12-44.436.jpg2012-04-06 19-00-43.281.jpg2012-04-06 19-00-14.011.jpg2012-04-06 19-00-28.003.jpg
    the anarchis doesn't look to good, but its way healthier than it was when i got it yesterday though, im guessing its because there are new stems coming from the dead ones. The healthier cambomba is in my 10 gallon with the mom guppies. And the healthier anarchis is in my other 10 gallon with the dad guppies. I made 2 small hiding places from the petrified wood for the bamboo shrimps im saving money for. I like the one at the end of the tank, it isnt very noticeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My first planted tank

That little table-like rock structure reminds of Stonehenge in England, lol. Nice.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

it does, to bad i cant get them to stand straight i could make a mini stone henge

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Exactly, was thinking the same! LOL.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

bro,

your lights looks dim. how any T5HO tubes are you using?

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

How thick is the substrate? Looks rather thin.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

the gravel is thin about 1", ill be adding 2" soon, just waiting for someone to have time to bring me as i cant drive... As for the light, need to buy some. I only have 1 of these fluorescent Marineland Natural Daylight F15T8 about 18"long that came with the hood , and a normal 60watt light bulb..I cant figure out what bulb to get for the hood, i know the one i have isn't good at all.. Since the tank is probably 55g, need 2watt per gallons at least...any suggestions on what lights to get? Since im missing the other hood for the other side, i was looking on google and i can get a screw in fluorescent aquarium light for the other side, any suggestions there?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure what equipment are there in your tank. If you intend to have a planted tank with fish, you would need the following:
    1) filter ( external type recommended)
    2) co2
    3) lights using T5HO tubes x4. Or Led lamp with about 100w type
    4) gravel. Get those smaller gravel to trap nutrients from fish waste and help to hold down the plants. The one that you have seems to be pebbles for potted plants.*
    And if you are in US, I guess a heater is needed during winter to maintain at a temp at 24~ 27c for best result.*

try it out and share your results.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

ok thanks i will

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To me, the most important factor that either brings joy or disappointment to fish-keeping is Oxygen. More specifically, optimal oxygenation. Good oxygenation alone will help alleviate or minimise the negative effects of most common bad environmental aquarium problems. Like another forummer said, I am an oxygen fan. .
    Quote Originally Posted by GuppyGirl View Post
    ok thanks i will

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I have a 6 inch bubble wall, that works great. I Love it and the fish do to. But i saw online that to much air is bad for the plants..so I took it out, but ill put it back in, its small. I dont think it will hurt anything?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

An aquarium needs to have a good and proper balance of plants and fishes. If there are more plants, then the fish's needs have to 'give way' to the plants. If the fish is more important, then their oxygen needs warrant more priority. This is why in a beautifully planted tank, you can usually see only a few tiny wee wee fish in it. But in my tank, I give full priority to my adored fish, though I'll set up a separate tank/s for aquatic plants, with carbon dioxide and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuppyGirl View Post
    I have a 6 inch bubble wall, that works great. I Love it and the fish do to. But i saw online that to much air is bad for the plants..so I took it out, but ill put it back in, its small. I dont think it will hurt anything?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

agree with tetra kid. cute set up though. good job GG..