Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: DIY Cabinet

Feedback Score

DIY Cabinet

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,saw a forumer in one of the website build a cabinet to cover-up his rod iron stand,thinking it's a good idea.May I know have anyone of you guys done this before?Any lobang to recommend for a carpenter to do this? Thanx

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    if you happen to know any renovation contractor, they will be able to build one for you. else find one at any industrial estate/park. no worries of the built cabinet collapsing as the metal stand is supporting the weight of the tank. having a waterproof finish, such a lacquer, will help to preserve the wood from rotting due to water splashes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY Cabinet

[quote:3497b932="gab"]Hi,saw a forumer in one of the website build a cabinet to cover-up his rod iron stand,thinking it's a good idea.May I know have anyone of you guys done this before?Any lobang to recommend for a carpenter to do this? Thanx [/quote:3497b932]
    I am the one who converted a discarded Ikea shelf to cover up the WI stand. I was asking around for a 2ft cabinet and the cost is > $150, unless you know the carpenter. I decided to keep the $ for a proper 4ft w/cabinet in future and just DIY it. Not perfect but good enough to convince my family to let me keep the stand in the living room

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Seriously, DIY is easy. Dun know about you guys but for me ,
    Its the tools needed that we usually dun have.
    Looking for wood is no problem.....Yellow pager have dozens of wood shop to choose from. Wood size are no problem either...maybe need to order first.

I'll be so happy if i have a sanding machine and the jig-saw....and definitely a work bench....i would kill for a vice clamp.I really hate sawing...free hand...arghhh!!
    So much time is saved and the finish look more chio and professional.
    Makes me feel like i'm back in school doing my technical project...heheh

Feedback Score
    I think putting doors onto cabinets are great great ideas!

Anyone done it, both DIY or custom make before? Please share!

Thanks alot! Please share

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:029b5b4e27="Irwan78"]Seriously, DIY is easy. Dun know about you guys but for me ,
    Its the tools needed that we usually dun have.
    Looking for wood is no problem.....Yellow pager have dozens of wood shop to choose from. Wood size are no problem either...maybe need to order first.

I'll be so happy if i have a sanding machine and the jig-saw....and definitely a work bench....i would kill for a vice clamp.I really hate sawing...free hand...arghhh!!
    So much time is saved and the finish look more chio and professional.
    Makes me feel like i'm back in school doing my technical project...heheh [/quote:029b5b4e27]
    DIY is really fun and satisfying. Can't agree with you more. The main problem being lacking of proper tools and workspace. I have a drill but had to buy a special drill bit ($14) for the kitchen door type hinge. Also bough a jig-saw from Carrefour (<$100). I hate sawing as well, and wish I have a sanding machine as well !

Maybe someone can organise DIY sessions and everybody can bring their tools, materials and DIY together. I can think of lots of things to DIY - cabinet, lamp, tank hood/cover, fan, LED night light and external CO2 reactor. I would love to like to diy a computer monitor tank !

Feedback Score
    Ya ya! But its could be really tough unless you have the specific measurements and tools.

Feedback Score
    Gan CW, if we can have the prefab wood (All lacquered and all), maybe we can do it Ikea style.

Maybe we can ask the wood shop to drill and lacquer?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:0a0ba321="Gan CW"]DIY is really fun and satisfying. Can't agree with you more. The main problem being lacking of proper tools and workspace. I have a drill but had to buy a special drill bit ($14) for the kitchen door type hinge. Also bough a jig-saw from Carrefour (<$100). I hate sawing as well, and wish I have a sanding machine as well ![/quote:0a0ba321]

Guys, I can T-loan out my circular saw, jig-saw and folding work bench on condition that it will be used with caution! and adult supervision (in case some of you are still young)... these tools are definitely NOT toys! Disclaimer: I will not be held accountable if you sustain physical injury!

I've a powered spray-painter as well for that lacquer finishing, on condition that you clean and declog the nozzle and/or other attachments. Too bad my sander konked!

Metal work can be finished with a hand-held grinder, similar to those for grinding ceramic tiles or cutting iron rods. You'll have to buy your own grinding wheels tho... It's NIB and doesn't come with wheels.

These tools can go out to ONE person, so that I don't have to waste time chasing the many for their return. Others will have to liaise with that person and have their projects done in a group. Sorry it has to be this way since I've too many un-returned "toys".

I won't be around, since I've nothing to teach and nothing to show... you're borrowing the tools, not me!

One more thing... I hate PMs... email me instead at [email protected] and avoid subject headers like... "Hi" or ambigious titles... my email proggie auto delete these spams!

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee