Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tend to betta that has jumped out of tank?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy How to tend to betta that has jumped out of tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi fellows. My betta jumped out of his tank while I was out last evening. When I found him on the floor, his body is still moist. I returned him to his tank immediately, but for the next couple of hours (that night) he kept:

• orientating himself into a vertical position,
    • undulating his body slowly like a snake
    • kept his pectoral fins shut tight against his body

This morning. He's a lot better, i.e. swimming normally & flexing his fins as per normal. But there're wounds on the border of his eyes, & the rays of his fins appeared to be bleeding, & the edges of his fins are torn with some growth on them (similar "growth" on his eyes' outline), e.g. like "incompletely torn off meat that's still attached".

What can I do for him, i.e. besides the usual water management, to make him heal better?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to tend to betta that has jumped out of tank?

you can add in some anti-fungal medication or ketapang leaves. This will help to prevent the wounds from getting fungus infection. It will heal by itself after a few weeks

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    you can add in some anti-fungal medication or ketapang leaves. This will help to prevent the wounds from getting fungus infection...
    Any good anti-fungal medication to recommend? I have the ketapang leaves in its tank already.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasjiang View Post
    ...It will heal by itself after a few weeks
    Although the open wounds may heal, will the damaged fins ever grow back to their full length & original color?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is strange for your Betta to jump out of the water considering they normally live near the water surface. My Betta always remain near the surface when resting. Maybe there could be some lizard around, or maybe a bird flew past the window and frightened it.

As it fell on the floor, its injuries could be internal as well, maybe a bone fracture, or some organ rupture, etc. Since Bettas are kept for their beauty, it is not likely for it to recover back to its original condition. If his injured condition becomes worse say in week or two, it may be better for you to aquire another pet Betta to replace him.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Personally, I use melodic for thorn/nipped fins and minor wounds. It's very good IMO. Clean water also helps in the recovery. So do regular water changes with aged water and clear uneaten food often.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Re: How to tend to betta that has jumped out of tank?

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    It is strange for your Betta to jump out of the water considering they normally live near the water surface...
    This is not the first time I've heard it happened to a betta, i.e. the jumping.

...Since Bettas are kept for their beauty, it is not likely for it to recover back to its original condition...
    I don't understand, i.e. how does being kept for its beauty impact whether the creature has a ability to grow back the damaged portions of its fins (or not)?

...If his injured condition becomes worse say in week or two, it may be better for you to aquire another pet Betta to replace him.

I'm not trying to "top-up fishes" here. Will try whatever I can to maintain its physique.

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    Personally, I use melodic for thorn/nipped fins and minor wounds. It's very good IMO. Clean water also helps in the recovery. So do regular water changes with aged water and clear uneaten food often.
    @Emokidz, I googled but can't find out what this "melodic" resemble? Do you have a picture of it & where I can purchase it?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Whoops. Typo.. Think the autocorrect thing changed it without me noticing. It's Melafix.. under the API brand.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It can also be that there's a 'spike' of something, eg NH3, making the water unbearable to remain in? But no matter what, it is best to cover the Bettas's tank for 100% safety against them jumping out. I have kept Bettas for a long time too without them jumping out. But better be safe.

If the maimed Betta can recover his former bodily functions, it may still be possible for him to be used for breeding, but for it to restore its full former glory of beauty and splendour, it is doubtful.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

...but for it to restore its full former glory of beauty and splendour, it is doubtful.
    Don't fishes possess the ability to heal back their damaged fins? Assuming the whole fin isn't chopped off or something?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Emokidz View Post
    melafix from API you mean? it has aloe vera extract if i remember correctly. and for betta that jumps out, i normally use concentrated ketapung extract to cure. no other medication is needed. just put betta in for 5 days without feeding and then do a 100% wc with clean water. after that you can feed the betta.
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Of course fins can grow back in time, but like I said, it overall it depends on how badly the fish is injured. If the internal and structural injuries are bad due to the serious impact of the fall when it hits the ground, though there may be healing in time, it is unlikely to be restored to its former glory.

If it functionally recovers, it can still be used as a breeding male, provided the natural functions are still capable of such.
    Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Don't fishes possess the ability to heal back their damaged fins? Assuming the whole fin isn't chopped off or something?

Feedback Score
    10 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

It is strange for your Betta to jump out of the water considering they normally live near the water surface. My Betta always remain near the surface when resting. Maybe there could be some lizard around, or maybe a bird flew past the window and frightened it.

As it fell on the floor, its injuries could be internal as well, maybe a bone fracture, or some organ rupture, etc. Since Bettas are kept for their beauty, it is not likely for it to recover back to its original condition. If his injured condition becomes worse say in week or two, it may be better for you to aquire another pet Betta to replace him.
    Hi bro, actually it is because they live near the water surface which is why they are more likely to jump out. It will be highly unlikely for a bottom dweller eg a pleco, to swim all the way to the surface and jump out. I find that sometimes they jump out for no particular reason, and it will be good to cover your tank. Bettas are really good at jumping.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by icefire View Post
    ...and for betta that jumps out, i normally use concentrated ketapung extract to cure. no other medication is needed...
    Will a single piece of Ketapang leaf be enough? How concentrated do your make yours? I was under the impression that these leaves only make the water acidic; didn't realise they have healing properties too.

...just put betta in for 5 days without feeding and then do a 100% wc with clean water. after that you can feed the betta.
    May I know what's the significance of not feeding it for these 5 days?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The problem with jumping fish is that once they hit the floor, their mucous coat goes into overdrive and it will pick up all sorts of things off the floor, including dust etc and this can be deadly for the fish.

Often, depending on how hard they hit the floor, especially ceramic floors, they might be beyond saving. Falling from a height and hitting the floor hard can mean the end of the fish. Bettas jump for various reasons, which is why a cover is somewhat necessary. Melafix is good for fishes that can be saved. All I can say is, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Ketapang leaves do not have "healing" capabilities. It is via the action of acidifying the water as the leaf decomposes, that retards the growth of fungi and bacteria, hence aiding the recovery of the injured fish.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

@stormhawk, in your opinion, should I still get & apply Melafix?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, since it'll come in handy when you need it. I'd suggest you get a small bottle and observe your betta. The stuff that might be hanging off the fins etc could just be dirt, but given the other injuries, a dose of Melafix might be a life saver.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Many years ago, I had a betta (just an ordinary low priced one) which jumped out of its container. The container was placed on a corner table easily over 4 feet (1.2m) tall. I discovered it in the morning so I don't know how long it was on the floor. It was behind the table, completely covered with dust and hard and curved like an ikan bilis. Without thinking I put it back into the container before going into the kitchen to tell my wife of the incident. When we got back and much to my surprise, it was struggling. I used my fingers to clean the dirt and dust off, changed water, etc. It continued to live for a long while (i.e. did not die of its injuries or adventure in the next couple of days or weeks). No fin damage but then it was not a show betta with long trailing fins. Don't know if it suffered internal injuries.

I put it down to the fact that bettas are labyrinth air-breathers. Other types of fishes would be goners. But it was still a bit of a miracle. I did not know then of ketapang or used medicines. Bottom-line, I would not write your betta off. Ketapang is a good idea. I hear it is beneficial and in any case, it is so cheap. You might want to put the leaf (or bits of it) in rather than extract by soaking or boiling. Difficult to control colour but I read the effect is better.
    Last edited by fisherw; 23rd Apr 2012 at 01:05. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ralliart12 View Post
    Will a single piece of Ketapang leaf be enough? How concentrated do your make yours? I was under the impression that these leaves only make the water acidic; didn't realise they have healing properties too.

May I know what's the significance of not feeding it for these 5 days?
    how big are the containers are you using to cure? cause for my those small breeder tanks(for single betta) i'm using 2-3 big pieces of leaves(cut into small pieces)....
    Too much of a fish SIAO to quit fish keeping/fishing..

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Yes, since it'll come in handy when you need it. I'd suggest you get a small bottle and observe your betta. The stuff that might be hanging off the fins etc could just be dirt, but given the other injuries, a dose of Melafix might be a life saver.
    Wait, so Melafix can help "sooth" internal injuries as well? But any way stormhawk, I'm very wary of adding medication (or anything) to the water unless really necessary, hope you understand.

Btw, it's been a few days, should I still apply Melafix now? Or since I observed that the growth around the ring of the eyes, & the growth on the torn edges of the fins are already gone, should I still use Melafix? The fish has resumed normal swimming profile.

Update: wow, I just read the description for Melafix:

Heals open wounds & abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes regrowth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water.

It's like some magical potion.

The problem with jumping fish is that once they hit the floor, their mucous coat goes into overdrive and it will pick up all sorts of things off the floor, including dust etc and this can be deadly for the fish...
    When I found the fish, coincidentally it has jumped into a slot between 2 piles of my stacked items on the floor. So, I don't think it has "travelled" all over my room's floor.

...Often, depending on how hard they hit the floor, especially ceramic floors, they might be beyond saving. Falling from a height and hitting the floor hard can mean the end of the fish...
    The enclosure is placed on the floor & its water level is 15cm or less.

...Ketapang leaves do not have "healing" capabilities. It is via the action of acidifying the water as the leaf decomposes, that retards the growth of fungi and bacteria, hence aiding the recovery of the injured fish.
    Talking about this, will Ketapang leaves (' acidity) retard the growth of good bacteria? I suppose it doesn't discriminate?

Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    ...I put it down to the fact that bettas are labyrinth air-breathers. Other types of fishes would be goners...
    Yes, this is lucky for the fish & me. Otherwise, if the height & grime on the floor didn't kill it, the lack of dissolved oxygen will.

Quote Originally Posted by fisherw View Post
    ...Bottom-line, I would not write your betta off. Ketapang is a good idea. I hear it is beneficial and in any case, it is so cheap. You might want to put the leaf (or bits of it) in rather than extract by soaking or boiling. Difficult to control colour but I read the effect is better.
    Yes, I will not write him off either, i.e. must appreciate its tenacity to live. Btw, I never do anything special to extract the "essence" from the Ketapang leaf; I just rinse it a bit, let it dry, then put it into the water already.

how big are the containers are you using to cure? cause for my those small breeder tanks(for single betta) i'm using 2-3 big pieces of leaves(cut into small pieces)....
    Are you concerned that the one big piece of Ketapang leaf will make the water too acidic?

Btw, so...what about the not feeding for 5 day reasoning?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I roll up each leaf and push it in stalk end last into a clean PET soft drink bottle. Stalk end last so that I can reuse the bottle for another batch by upending the bottle (without any or very little water in it) and withdraw the 'used' leaves by gripping the stalk with a tweezer or something similar. Because this method enables you to control the amount you pour into the tank, it does not matter how many leaves you use, how long you soak or how dark the water gets. The darker, use less and vice versa.

I understand some microwave the leaves in water to extract the essence faster and discard the leaves or soak and then collect the dark water without the leaves.

More info here:

http://www.catappaleaves.com/c/160/w...atappa-leaves-
    http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/aquariums.php

Google catappa or indian almond as ketapang is a local term.

Adult or mature leaves are rather huge so sometimes one in a small tank is overdoing it. Suggest cutting the leaf and using a fraction of it. Also one whole leaf may get the water in a small tank really dark. There are probably other benefits (i.e. more than the chemical extracted) in using the leaf rather then just the extract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast