Images
    Country
    Singapore

recommend food?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I set up a simple (no CO2, low light) 2x1x1ft medium-planted tank with (so far) 2 otos, 5 zebra danios, 6 white cloud mountain minnows.

Can recomend me a good, value for money, food for my fishes? I already have some Hikari Algae tablets for the otos. I tried some "slowly sinking" pallets, but I think more than half sinks into the gravel or java moss before the fishes can grab them in mid-water. I guess it would be better to get those floating pallet types?

also, I find that in the morning before work when I look at the tank, the fishes seem to be coming to water surface for air, does it mean not enough O2 produced by the plants during the day? now my light is on about 10hrs from 1200-2200hrs.

Can I get still a pair of dwarf corys too? I kinda like them!

Thanks for any help rendered!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Are the fish greeting you or really gasping with their mouths open? Maybe you should observe from a distance. My fish get all excited and swim to the surface whenever I walk near the tank. See me = FOOD yum yum! I don't think it's got to do with O2 or CO2 content in the water unless the water is so still that there's no gas exchange at the surface. Do you have a filter for the tank? You can position the outlet/spraybar such that it will blow across and slightly agitate the water surface. Since you're not injecting CO2, there's no fear of CO2 loss. You can even place it such that there's a small waterfall effect.

As for food, I feel it's better to have a variety. Nobody likes to eat the same thing everyday. I alternate between flakes, pellets, broken-up pieces of algae waffles, and bloodworms (special occasions).

I think the cories are cute too. I think a pair of them wouldn't add too much to the bioload.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Victri,

Thanks for your advice. The fish are just like swimming up to the surface, take a quick "breather" or something like that, then back into the water. In the morning, I notice most of them near the top of the tank. Was wondering if it's problem 'cos remembered pri sch learnt that if fish get air from atmosphere means water not enough O2...

I have a small Eden internal filter. I also have a overhead filter but I never used it, you think it's better? But if I use that, then no place for my CPU fan to blow already. probably just position the internal filter higher so that the water outlet is slight above the water surface huh?

I get your point about the food. So which brands/models are good? Any recommendations on where to get corys? Gans? Is the difference bet cory and loach the size?

Hey thanks, I know I got many questions... :P

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I like to use dried shrimps (which I grind beforehand) for my tetras. they float for a while before sinking which gives the fishes time to eat most of them. According to Diana Walstad's book, shrimps also contain every element needed by your plants for growth so they become a source of fertilizer for your plants as well. You can get them at fish shops, about $10 for a reasonable size bag.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:f574157d9b="toledosun"]I like to use dried shrimps (which I grind beforehand) for my tetras. they float for a while before sinking which gives the fishes time to eat most of them. According to Diana Walstad's book, shrimps also contain every element needed by your plants for growth so they become a source of fertilizer for your plants as well. You can get them at fish shops, about $10 for a reasonable size bag.[/quote:f574157d9b]

Isn't the shrimp flakes too hard for the tetras ?

Currently I feed my middle swimmers Tetra flakes and frozen blood worm. I also like to know what other food you guys feed your fishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BTW, How much light can I use before I need CO2? It's for 2ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:88df04fa="stocker"]BTW, How much light can I use before I need CO2? It's for 2ft tank.[/quote:88df04fa]

The lighting and CO2 requirement will pretty much depend on what kind of plants you plan to keep. A low-tech tank can do pretty well with about 2watts/gallon or less. Best if you do some reading up on light and CO2 before you go meddle with them. Potentially lots of problems if you don't know what you're getting into. There's a FAQ in the forum with pretty good info and links.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:70fc5a7e53="victri"]
    The lighting and CO2 requirement will pretty much depend on what kind of plants you plan to keep. A low-tech tank can do pretty well with about 2watts/gallon or less. Best if you do some reading up on light and CO2 before you go meddle with them. Potentially lots of problems if you don't know what you're getting into. There's a FAQ in the forum with pretty good info and links.[/quote:70fc5a7e53]

I understand what you say. So I more or less decided to have a low-tech tank, right now I am using a 18W FL, making it about 1.5wpg for my 80% filled 15gal tank, should I be increasing it? I have low-light plants and they don't look like they're dying, at least to me..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:c429ff18e8="Gan CW"]
    Currently I feed my middle swimmers Tetra flakes and frozen blood worm. I also like to know what other food you guys feed your fishes.[/quote:c429ff18e8]

I am using "tetramin pro", everyone in my tank (platies, danios, minnows) seem to like it pretty much. Will prolly get some frozen blood worms to "treat" them...

Feedback Score
    I use Wardley's slow sinking crumbles.
    Great stuff!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:e3d60e3f1d="stocker"][quote:e3d60e3f1d="victri"]
    The lighting and CO2 requirement will pretty much depend on what kind of plants you plan to keep. A low-tech tank can do pretty well with about 2watts/gallon or less. Best if you do some reading up on light and CO2 before you go meddle with them. Potentially lots of problems if you don't know what you're getting into. There's a FAQ in the forum with pretty good info and links.[/quote:e3d60e3f1d]

I understand what you say. So I more or less decided to have a low-tech tank, right now I am using a 18W FL, making it about 1.5wpg for my 80% filled 15gal tank, should I be increasing it? I have low-light plants and they don't look like they're dying, at least to me.. [/quote:e3d60e3f1d]

From what I read, 1.5wpg should be sufficient if most of them are low light plants. You might want to break up the 18W to 2 x 9w to get an even spread of the lights.
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Gan,

that's why I grind it first, all soft & powdery after that so not a problem. It's quite ideal actually because it spreads out and float down slowly. that attracts their attention and they'll start dashing about for the food.