5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

pH reading too low, need some advise

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently have a 2ft tank substrate is Gex soil and 1ft tank substrate (forgot the brand) with a reading of 5 on ph..are these normal??

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: pH reading too low, need some advise

Some of your plants might melt and fishes will die in time to come due to the low pH level in the tank. I had the same problem couple of months back when I first started out also. Before I move on, maybe you can help enlighten us on what else you have added into the tank, more specifically, every detail of the tank (driftwood, filter media, etc).
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro, in the 2 ft tank i used substrate from Gex light green package.. And from 1 ft tank i used soil w/c i bought from C328

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Im using Eden 501 and GeX slim HOF for 1 ft tank

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm, still doesn't look like much information. So anyway, here are some items which I thought of when you first mentioned about the low pH value of your tank's water:

1. Acidic water
    Quite unlikely that the water you use is acidic since tap water is more alkaline due to the chlorine added in it. You could get a test kit to test this out, just for your information.
    Solution: Nothing much here. You might just want to do a routine check-in with your plumber to ensure everything is alright and working well.

2. Driftwood
    DWs lower pH in the water.
    Solution: Remove some driftwood in the tank. The pH value may not increase drastically, but at least it will be less acidic.

3. Peat
    Might come on in coconut husks, etc. They lower pH as well.
    Solution: Do the same as you would with the DWs and remove some of them.

4. Soil
    I am not particularly sure at which pH value the GEX soil maintains so I can't help you out on this one. My guess is that it doesn't have much effect on the really low pH your tank is experiencing.
    Solution: Gradually add in coral chips. Coral chips/pieces hardens water and they will drive your pH level upwards thus neutralising the acid in your tank. You can either add the pieces into your soil or into the filter. Just make sure that the chips don't get into the fan chamber as it would spoil the engine.

5. Carbon
    Do you have any carbon in your filters? Carbon will also create soft water parameters.
    Solution: As you would with your soil.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks bro for a very detailed explanation.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

No problem. There are times where you just need to experiment around, so don't give up when one or two things fail on you. Have fun!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm not sure about soil but you can use baking soda to up the pH. One or both of your substrate is not pH neutral.

Use buffer media like CC to maintain pH.
    Rearing L-numbers : 3 x semi adult L333, 7 x Adult L66, 1 x 10" L190, 1 x 4" L027 XP, 10 Adult L46, 2 adult L273
    Filtration : 1 x Eheim 2075, 1 x Eheim 2032
    Media : Substrat pro, Mech pro, Bio mech pro, Biohome, Matrix, ehfi lav

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi bro, can use a ph bluffer or add some coral shells in it. correct me if i am wrong, this is what the lfs people told me...
    Its a fishy world out there... huat ar...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

hi

Have kept a few types of fishes before. Apistos - ph 5 to 6.5 best, below 4 - all die. Guppies, ph 7 & above. I recently suffered great losses as I did not expect ph to drop so fast. The guppies began to float to the surface & their tails & bodies shrunk. I added sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) & the effect was immediate. The effect of coral chips is not so fast but it is more natural & my wife will not complain that I take her baking soda!!!

To add to the other comments in this thread, the ph will go down naturally due to fish waste & food decay - normal process of organic materials

I have a glass pond which I decorate with red lava rock - I have been checking around and have not got a definite answer whether they are acidic or not. My experience is that they are rather neutral.

With regards to ph buffer, it "normalises" water to neutral 7.0. The problem I have with ph up & ph down is that I find it difficult to estimate the quantity to use.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Mind if I ask, what fauna are you keeping and what is the pH values that you are planning to achieve?
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more