Country
    Singapore

"Worms in Shrimp Tank"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Recently I found that there are lots of "White worms" crawling in my tanks. Are there any way to get rid of them? They look irritating.... I am unable to change water now as my shrimp just gave birth...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: "Worms in Shrimp Tank"

I also got such problem.... The advise i got is not to overfeed the shrimps and siphon the substrate once every week. It does help a bit....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Laversiner View Post
    Hi Guys,

Recently I found that there are lots of "White worms" crawling in my tanks. Are there any way to get rid of them? They look irritating.... I am unable to change water now as my shrimp just gave birth...
    Mind showing how the worm looks like? It might not be harmful worm.. If not harmful, just leave it since it doesn't hurt the shrimps... Unsightly or lose shrimps.. Have to weigh the damage...

Don't siphon the soil.. Might cause shrimp or shrimplets to die... Ammonia spike when disturbed.. Normally shrimp keepers try not to disturb the soil...
    钱不是问题!问题是。。。我没有钱。。。
    花钱像拉屎一样简单,赚钱像吃屎一样难。。。

http://alvinchan80.blog.fc2.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    I also got such problem.... The advise i got is not to overfeed the shrimps and siphon the substrate once every week. It does help a bit....
    Not to overfeed i agree but siphon?? Who advise you that may I know cause I would like to learn. Have you done it yourself since you mention you were advise to do it?? Please don't just say you are advise to do such a simple sentence not to mention once a week...... Either you are aiming to reset your tank in 6 month times or you just shoot without trying it out yourself....

Have you try siphon before and look at the tank condition?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Acually green chapter has traps for sale for these worms just put food in it and wait for a few days.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Laversiner View Post
    Hi Guys,

Depend on the type of worms you are talking about wiggling or flat arrow head one be more specify on it. Wiggling one most likely mean you filter wool is clog with dirt time to service it. If those arrow head bugger known as planaria..... You can try what xconnect mention get a catch pen from green chapter (but for your info last heard out of stock) or you can siphon yes you read me correct SIPHON the bugger out and hmmm than dump than in a small
    Container of saltwater. I wouldn't advise shooting it directly into your toilet bowl why hmm i watch too much sci-fi keep getting the bloody feeling they will attack the butt!!! Sorry mod edit if you want blame my doctor flu medication...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I notice another kind of worm that just pop it's head out of the soil, red in color. They don't look like planaria.
    I think those worms are pretty harmless too. <- Not sure about this?
    Those white wrigglers can just leave them alone. They actually eat the remaining food left in the soil.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    Not to overfeed i agree but siphon?? Who advise you that may I know cause I would like to learn. Have you done it yourself since you mention you were advise to do it?? Please don't just say you are advise to do such a simple sentence not to mention once a week...... Either you are aiming to reset your tank in 6 month times or you just shoot without trying it out yourself....

Have you try siphon before and look at the tank condition?
    Yes, I did siphon my tank twice a week for the past 3 weeks. So far nothing happen in my tank. Sorry that if i offend anyone here. I got this advise from my friend who kept shrimps. I am keeping sakura shrimps now and I did not know siphon is bad for the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, I did siphon my tank twice a week for the past 3 weeks. So far nothing happen in my tank. Sorry that if i offend anyone here. I got this advise from my friend who kept shrimps. I am keeping sakura shrimps now and I did not know siphon is bad for the tank.
    So are you using soil or sand or gravel?? The seriousness of it is when you do something like that i am sure alot of shrimplet will get buried below. Even shrimp will get buried not to mention creating a dust storm causing spikes.

If you do have a good method to share how to you did it. It will benefit everyone also.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I am using GEX substrate, those red packaging from local LFS. The siphon that I am using is a DIY type. The available siphon in the market is way too big for my tank so I DIY a mini one just for siphon the worms hiding in the substrate. Usually i just siphon about a 1/4 of the tank floor each time. I try to take photo of my siphon and post here.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am using GEX substrate, those red packaging from local LFS. The siphon that I am using is a DIY type. The available siphon in the market is way too big for my tank so I DIY a mini one just for siphon the worms hiding in the substrate. Usually i just siphon about a 1/4 of the tank floor each time. I try to take photo of my siphon and post here.
    Yea thanks it will be good if you can share a DIY alot of us like to DIY it could solve alot of problem for hobbist whom tend to overfeed.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I agreed. I want to learn too.

Quote Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
    Yea thanks it will be good if you can share a DIY alot of us like to DIY it could solve alot of problem for hobbist whom tend to overfeed.

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I want to learn three.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ok, hope i do not get shoot here. Here is how I did my mini Siphon.

In the photo below:
    It consist (from left to right)
    1. Dripper (can be purchased from Arts Friend, I got mine from Bouna Vista Mrt side)
    2. Normal Air tubing which can be purchased from any LFS
    3. A bottle which you can fill in water and squeeze the water out, sorry, i do not know how to describe ( I got from Daiso, IMM).

Lets start on the Dripper first, Cut the bulb head off as shown below. On the tip side, use a pen knife to make the tip as round as possible.

Use the air tubing, connect one end to the bottle tip and another end to the dripper tip.

The final product looks like this

How to use it:
    Adjust the bottle cap, not too tight and not too loose, the adjustment must be just nice that when you squeeze the air out from the bottle and hold it, put the dripper side into the tank, onto your substrate, place the bottle below the tank, release (unsqueeze) the bottle, the water should start to flow from your tank into the dripper and into the bottle and this should continue to flow as what a siphon should work, if it does not perform as what a siphon would do, re-adjust the bottle cap again to get it correct. When siphoning, if too much substrate got into the dripper, lift the dripper a bit higher so that the substrate would fall back to the tank, then lower the dripper into the substrate again.

How it works:
    As the diameter of the air tubing, the dripper tip is very small, the flow would not be so great as to create cloud in your tank, also the suction flow is very weak where your substrate would just raise up around 1 cm and then fall back onto the tank, but the flow is just nice to suck out fine particles and these white worms.

Why i did it such a way. My tank is really small, 8 inch in length, my substrate is about 1 cm thick. The height of my tank is the same length as the dripper. So you all can see how small is my tank.

I believe this DIY siphon should work for tiny tank like mine, if for the nano tank or bigger tank, you might need to modify it to suits your tank.

Last but not least, I hope i have not offend anyone especially the seniors here, I am still a newbie and I have learn a lot from all of you here. I would be slowly migrating all my shrimps to a bigger tank soon. Peace.....

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool i will diy ylthis thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Great DIY finally someone that prove what he said and not just shooting out for the sake of "my friend told me so" apologies to you of my earlier post sound harsh cause it could be a very drastic storm cloud if some newbie don't know and do it end up killing all his shrimps. Once again good DIY and thanks you very much for sharing. I see some of the item need to go daiso shopping and DIY and try it out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Not a problem. It is worth to share if this idea works for all.

I would like to emphasize that the DIY siphon works well for my small tank, for any tank that is bigger and taller, you need to modify to suit your own tank needs, the one shows on photo is just to serve as a general reference.

Cheers. Happy shrimp keeping

Most likely in front of the computer screen if the status is green.
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Great job! Hahaha when you initially mentioned siphon the soil I think many of us imagined the traditional siphon with the blue hand pump at the end.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This is related to the typical hand pump siphon sets commonly found to the LFS. The bottle has to be squeezed to create a vacuum and suck in the water and dirt. The only difference is that seudzar made it in a mini version. Nice work seudzar.

If I may suggest, the use of a filter net over the end of the dropper's bulb might be useful in preventing the substrate or shrimplets from being sucked in.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Now I know why you describe it as siphon. Think more of a vacuum but the "head" indeed made to me mimic of the suction end of one.

Good job there with this pictorial.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast