Country
    United States

Wink NEW TANK w/ CAT FISH!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    HELLO ALL!
    A friend of mine who moved to a smaller apartment is giving me their 75 gallon fish tank with 2 LARGE cat fish (he does not know what kind they are, and i havent seen them yet so neither do i).
    I am very excited yet know close to NOTHING about caring for them! My friend says they are very low maintenence and prefer to have a fair amount of algue in the tank. I am hoping to gain more knowledge on how to best care for my new catfishes through your help!
    Also - - I read that catfish can be very territorial but i would like to put other fish in the tank with them, is this a good idea? what kind of fish would live best with the cat fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: NEW TANK w/ CAT FISH!!

Before we can help you, we need to know what those catfish are. Pictures will help.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I figured that, i am getting them this coming sunday. i will post pictures here ASAP. I CANT WAIT!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Other than the tank and the 2 cat fish, what else is given?

Filtration? Your excitement and anticipation is making me feel the same. Lol.

Anyway, folks 75 gal is what 270 liters? I'm guessing 120cm by 45cm?

Just my observation, usually "monster" tanks that has big cat fish has got those gar, flowerhorn, aro and some fish I have no idea. Guessing thy will outgrow the tank though. But hey, i'm just blasting. There's discus! My fave in bigger tanks. Or flagtail prochilodus but then again i'm just saying. Aint helping arent i?lol.

Once the tank comes in, members will most likely go trigger happy with ideas.

We're excited for you too. Can't wait to see the tank.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Question Re: NEW TANK w/ CAT FISH!!

I asked Friend what comes with the tank, he said "everything is there" when asked to elaborate, he said he has both a top and bottom filtration system, a heater, a bubbler, and other equiptment that he says he can explain when i pick up the tank.
    MORE IMPORTANTLY...he said they are not really catfish, they are SHARKS! He said he doesnt know the name of them as his x-wife bought them for him. He described the SHARKS as large (one over a foot long, one a little less), all black, large top fin (all black), and sort of a flat head.
    I am now a little nervous, last fishtank i had was when i was about 5 with gold fish and they died (very quickly). I am very much a beginner! am i going to get bit? Surprisingly, even though i am kind of scared now, i am even more EXCITED. SHARKS?! man o man, i hope my chihuahua doesnt try to go for a swim! LOL

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sounds like iridescent shark catfish (Pangasius/Pangasianodon hypophthalmus):

While they are often seen in the shops, and can be quite attractive when young, they aren't suitable for most home aquariums, because they require lots of space (unlike many other catfishes, they cruise about in the water, and don't hang around on the bottom), do best when kept as part of a shoal, and are easily spooked. They also get very large, up to 1.3 metres (4 feet) in length.

The species is quite commonly raised in captivity in Southeast Asia, but more for human consumption than for pets:
    FAO Fisheries & Aquaculture

Here's some more information:
    PlanetCatfish
    ScotCat

I'm hoping that my guess is wrong, but I think you ought to be mentally prepared.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

I showed him the picture you posted and he said thats not it. says the top fin is much larger and it is all black and less "fat". Also the shark that is a little over 1' foot is about 5 years old. so we googled BLACK SHARK. below are some pictures that he says it looks like (but is not sure if it is it):
    http://aquariumfishparadise.com.au/Black-Shark.php
    images.jpg
    us_pets_47906_2.jpg

still says they get to be huge (2feet)...oh man. what am i getting my self into? LOL!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

i just went on youtube.com and looked up BLACK FISH 75 GAL TANK and there are quite a few videos on there. many tanks had other fish in the tank.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

the fish look friendly. looks pretty too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, black sharks are actually cyprinids (carp), and can be thought of as giant versions of red-tailed black sharks or bala sharks. They do require lots of space, but are generally fine with fishes too large for them to eat. Tinfoil barbs might make suitable, similarly active tankmates, if you have the space for a large tank.

We'll see what you actually have when the fish arrive! It's quite unnerving, honestly, but it is kind of exciting.
    Small is beautiful.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

is there albino shark look alike?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was just on PFK last evening and found that someone needed help IDing a similar fish like this (if you're on the forum, the thread is located here: http://www.predatoryfishkeepers.com/...Fish-ID-needed). The best guess was Osteochilus melanopleura. It looks good though!
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

ok, they're here! & swimming happily in a 75 gal tank! heres the kicker..im preetttyyy suree these guys are iridesent sharks (catfish) as @Pseudogobiopsis had mentioned previously. here are some pics..they arent so great i took them with my phone and these guys are very fast!
    IMAG0239.jpg
    they are both darker on the top, with a light/silvery belly. one is about 2inches longer than the other. and they seem to really get along with each other too. the swim in circles with each other, follow each other around, rub past each other, and i havent noticed any aggression towards eachother. however the larger one did get kind of fiesty and tried to jump when i moved the bubbler

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Are there any other fishes in the tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

nope, just the two. they seem very fond of each other too! beautiful swimmers, im dazed by them! can these guys have other tank mates? maybe ones that are similar in size?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I would think it would be best to keep fishes of similar sizes since these fishes would be predatory in nature. I think endis and gars will give a mix of fishes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

does any one know the odds of whether or not these fish will become huge monsters? ive been googl-ing and many sites say they can reach up to 4ft ...EVEN IN AQUARIUMS! eeeekkkk. The larger of the 2 is 5 years old and hes only about a foot long. Also..if i put other fish in the tank should i try to buy the fish already full grown? most fish in stores are babies and would be very small in comparison to these guys.