Images
    Country
    Australia

How to medicate bloated fish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    One of my alt. compressicep has bloat. Can anybody tell me what medication to use. Last time calvus had bloat and died. []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Is that a case of dropsy? any pine cone like appearance on the stomach of the fish (up turned scales pointing outwards instead of backwards?)
    if it is then quite difficult to cure cause due to water retention organ failure. Can try to add epsom salt, (read somewhere that u can feed yellow powder haha), and one of the interpet solution for anti-internal parasite which claims to cure dropsy. Hope that helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    It just looks big and bloated around the stomach. Perhaps I should kill it rather then seeing it suffer.[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i don't know why people say epsom salts cure dropsy
    it's like one of those internet myths or something *shrug*

if you can, catch him out
    dump him in a salt solution (try 3tbsp per 20l) and see his reaction
    if he becomes uncomfortable remove him and place him in a holding tank
    if the fluids are stuck in him the hypertonic solution should help his body to remove the excess water
    rinse and repeat until he's fine

alternatively you can salt the main tank, 1tbsp per 20l to see how that works

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Australia
    The fish died yesterday. I was thinking of about the salt solution too but I think it was too late. I'll be chnging the water a bit more often this week to remove unwanted things in the water.

Epsom salt doesn't cure dropsy. It decreases the osmotic pressure, preventing the fish from water retention. It also acts as a laxative to clear constipation

Of course, we all know that dropsy is only the external symptom of different kinds of disease, eg internal bacteria, kidney failure etc.

So, we can only treat it as recommended and hope for the best

My treatment of dropsy in bettas is: Interpet's anti-internal bacteria + Epsom salt. I've cured a number and some of them were well enough to spawn again

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/8/2002 9:03:31 AM

Epsom salt doesn't cure dropsy. It decreases the osmotic pressure, preventing the fish from water retention. It also acts as a laxative to clear constipation

Of course, we all know that dropsy is only the external symptom of different kinds of disease, eg internal bacteria, kidney failure etc.

So, we can only treat it as recommended and hope for the best

My treatment of dropsy in bettas is: Interpet's anti-internal bacteria + Epsom salt. I've cured a number and some of them were well enough to spawn again
    ----------------
    ah
    no magic bullet
    but imo the anti-internal bacteria would have done just as well in conjunction with aquarium salt