Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

use bio homme ??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Is using sintered glass filter (like bio homme) benificial for planted tanks ?? They remove ammonia and nitrate as they act as a housing for BB...but if too much is removed, wont that be bad for the tank as the plants need some nitrate correct ??

There is a recommendation based on volume of water and amount of sintered glass to use. So for planted tanks is it the same amount to use or less or more ?? Can anyone here shed some light for me ??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Don't really understand your question.

What is BB? Bacteria? Bactor Bacteria? Please be clear.

Also, I'm confused by what you mean by remove ammonia and nitrate. If I assume correctly that BB is bateria, then I am not aware of such bacteria that removes nitrate. I believe the nitrogen cycle converts ammonia to nitrite, then from nitrite to nitrate. The nitrate then is stable and consumed by the plants. So far, the only means of removing nitrate directly from the water is by chemical means, as far as I know.

The nitrate is the final state and will build up continually in a non-planted tank. In planted tanks, the plants will use up the nitrate when they grow. Typically, if the growth rate is so good such that the nitrate level is reduced to almost zero, the hobbyist will supplement it via fertiliser, be it liquid or substrate type. I think this is what you're actually wondering about.

Actually, all this information is readily available in the net. You'll realise that doing some basic research on your own will yield a lot of information. Please take some time and effort to do some reading first. Only when you are still confused despite reading up, then post your queries here. You'll get more answers from the community when it is clear that you have done your homework.
    Cheers
    Boon Yong

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    BB, shortform commonly used on the aro forums for beneficial bacteria.

Blur One is quoting from the BioHome literature. BH claims to be able to get rid of nitrite and nitrates. Reason being that another bacteria that converts nitrate to nitrogen gas will colonise the media as well.

I use BioHome, but I don't know if my nitrates become nitrogen gas.

Sintered glass is often recommended for planted tank filters. BioHome is ok to use.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    biohome rox!2 thumbs up!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yeah. a lot of us use biohome (including me). but none of us actively have measured nitrate removal via independent controlled tests..

I guess the fact they look cool..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm using a 1kg pack of the red version but NO3 still high.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks to those who replied.... I did research and got very confused that is why I asked. The net is a great place for information but with information overload, it can get confusing. Once again thanks...looks like I will get some biohome for my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    There are 2 groups of bacteria in the nitrogen cycle.

One group are the aerobic ones which convert NH3 to NO2 to NO3 (nitrification) in the presence of oxygen. These bacteria are the ones we try to cultivate when we cycle a new tank.

The anaerobic ones (eg Pseudomonas species) will convert it from NO3 to NO2 to N2O to N2 (denitrification). This have to happen in anaerobic conditions, ie in the absence of oxygen. This usually happens deep in the substrate. If the filter media has deep pores where O2 level is low, denitrification can occur too.

I guese what occurs predominantly in the filter is nitrification. Whether you get denitrification, it'll depends on the conditions in the filter/filter media.

BC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Given the high levels of O2 in "typical" planted tanks, i guess de-nitrification is unlikely even in the deeper recesses of the filter media.

Bio-home's webpages show their usage in both ornamental fish ponds and aquacultural fish ponds. Both unlikely to have high oxygen levels.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.