Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planted Tanks for Community Services

Planted Tanks for Community Services

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Long time no hear from me. I've been hovering around. Anyway, back to the topic.

I just came from A&G home which is a home for troubled teens. For now, it takes in girls, so it includes unwed teen moms and so on. They have a large area given to the raising of fishes. For the moment, they are researching into ranchu raising.

'Aqua-studies' as the guy in charge there termed it. Its a kind of life-skill for the girls there. Notably, some are not really into academic so these things suit them well.

So... basically if you people here are interested in setting up a planted tank like we did for Gan and Toh, but this time in a girls home and at the same time, teach the girls everything there is with planted tank, more than welcomed. Please reply to this post. By the way, Gan knows him too. Small world.

Not limited to planted tanks, any other kinds of fishes also can. Tropical fish research. Basically he was also asking if there are any professors out there in life sciences willing to teach these girls in aquaculture.

Hope you guys reply, really good way to give back to society with what we love in my opinion.

The girls home is at Telok Kurau.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    heng, thats a good idea..... we see what the rest has to comment

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Telok Kurau is somewhere near eunos? This is a good idea.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Can I help out? Maybe manpower?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Sounds like a good idea.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Fantastic! It'll do wonders for the hobby. Do count me in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    planted tank is one thing, but if they have space for a pond, how about arowana raising and koi keeping..
    or a planted pond

Haha... nice to hear plenty saying its a good idea. But anyone willing to volunteer time? I could help lias and all. Thanks for those volunteering their time. Yes, telok kurau is near eunos. Near the SCDF camp. Lorong J.

But do consider the time put in. It's more than just going there, set up the tank and leave. It's actually imparting the skills to the girls. There are those who can go for the long run and those who can only commit short term, so we need to factor those in and maximise what we have. Short term doesn't mean they cannot contribute. But we'll need a handful of people who'll go down like weekly to help the girls sharpen their skills.

By the way, their compound is big. How else would they be raising ranchus. *hee* Arrowana and stuff may be possible in the long run. Now they are learning to raise discus, ranchus and angelfishes.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i support any effort to get young ladies interested in the life sciences. spilopterus, if a meeting or session can be coordinated you can include me in (my travel schedule permiting)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I shouldnt have problem with time. I've always wanted to do some social work, but I am only good at scolding people. Perhaps this is a good and easy way for me to begin with.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    When would all this be starting? I'm away for reservist soon. It's pretty convenient for me to get there. Anyone near AMK without transport can go with me. Not too sure of the time schedules, but I'm pretty sure can work something out. I've also kept ranchu for awhile, so maybe can contribute a bit.

I used to be a troubled teen too.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It it great if doing what we love can contribute to a good cause. Count me in !

I guess we need to start by knowing what is the budget (even if it is zero)and the scope of work (what type tanks and if there are space for pond etc).

Maybe someone can organise a visit to the place and then we can discuss the next step.

Gan

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why not a show of hands who is interested in doing such community work? Be it setting up and maintaining planted tanks at Old folks home or teaching troubled girls how to raise fishes?

We can form small committees to schedule and share work and look for sponsors for individual project? With more people, we would be more flexible, resourceful and not loaded up.

So i guess this is the list of people so far (not restricted to this girl home, also for futher community projects, but we shall start with this? ) :

1. spilopterus
    2. Gan CW
    3. victri
    4. budak
    5. loupgarou
    6. vinz
    7. redtail
    8. lorba
    9. simon
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Images
    Hi

Can count me in?
    More than willing to help out but skill and knowledge wise very limited only... :P
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Count me in too

Wow, nice to see so many people volunteering. I'll get into contact with the guy and get things rolling ASAP. Thanks man!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Any place for me?

1. spilopterus
    2. Gan CW
    3. victri
    4. loupgarou
    5. redtail
    6. Sky Devil
    7. TTS
    8. kennedy_ng
    9. budak
    10. vinz
    11. lorba
    12. simon
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Okie guys, I've contacted Andrew, the guy in charge there. He suggested we meet up then can discuss further what we can do and so on. Would this friday evening be a good day? Don't really need everybody to go down. But maybe at least one of the AQ people (mods or editors and so on) to go down and discuss.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I'll try to make it. Victri, I need to hitch a ride then

If you guys need the plants, maybe some of us here are willing to give stem cutting. At least they have something to start. Anyway, please put the list of plants so that those whom might have them could contribute in that way
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Sorry. I'll be away for reservist 6-18 Feb. I can only join you guys after reservist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast