Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: New member to forum, old member of the hobby...

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

New member to forum, old member of the hobby...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    As the subject says, I'm new to this forum, but not new to the hobby of fish keeping/raising. Historically I have always gone with heavily planted tanks as I enjoy growing the plants almost (almost!) as much as the fish. That is, until recently, where I decided to take my hobby a little further and have set up a few tanks purely for breeding fish -- primarily different types of guppies and recently some C. habrosus.

With that said, I have to admit the main thing that brought me back to the forum is my search for C. Hastatus, which it seems several people on this site breed. I live in the USA (Wisconsin to be exact) and finding these cute little guys has been nearly impossible!

Lets see, what else... oh, tanks. I have 2 tanks in my office, a 10G and a 30G, both heavily planted. In the basement in my mini fish room I have 2 x 20G longs and 4 x 10G's set up with 4 strains of guppies and the corys, along with a strain I'm trying to create on my own.

The 10G in my office currently is heavily planted, to the point it needs to be thinned again soon. Attached is a photo of it before it got overgrown. It contains some otocinclus, a ton of plain cherry shrimp, 6 celestial pearl danios (now grown to 12 of them), 2 hillstream loaches, and 2 guppies. I have also attached a semi blurry photo of one of the loaches as I think they are super cool.

The 30G tank is mostly planted with stuff removed from the 10G tank and is full of a very cool strain of guppies I love, along with some more cherry shrimp.

Anyhow, think that should suffice as an introduction.

--Robert

10g_tank_early.jpghillstream_loach.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New member to forum, old member of the hobby...

Hi Robert,

Welcome to AQ.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Robert,

Welcome and would love to see the office tank (30g)
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Oh sure, ask for a photo of the one tank that isn't quite photo ready at this moment! I'll have to top it off and try to get a decent photo of it, heh. That particular tank is currently being overrun by a strain of guppies that is by far the fastest breeding AND growing strain I have ever seen.

Anyhow, I'll see what I can do about getting a decent photo sometime soon.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi robert !!
    welcome and i want to see more of your tank photos

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ok, due to work constraints I don't have time to "pretty up" the 30G tank so I snapped a quick photo with the ipad. It is a bit blurry, partly 'cause there are a ton of baby guppies swimming all over the place.

The large plant to the right is an aponogeton of one type or another. The plants to the left in the foreground are mostly a mixture of other plants from the 10G tank. The plants floating at the top are mostly frogbit, with some duck weed mixed in.

The picture doesn't do the tank justice, but it gives an idea of it.

aquarium_30g_ipad.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

FYI, the long delays in my responses are not because I am not responding. Quite the opposite, I have been replying as soon as I receive a question on this thread. Unfortunately, it appears that one of the blacklist sites that vBulletin uses does not like my IP for some reason. Because of that, anything I post gets filed under the category of MUST MODERATE or something to that effect.

I may try to get some photos of the C. Habrosus I have happily swimming around in one of my bare tanks. They tend to be pretty active little buggers so I'm not sure how clear of a photo I can get.

--Robert