Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Seeking treatment advise for white spots in planted tank.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Seeking treatment advise for white spots in planted tank.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Just notice I've got multiple fishes starting to have specks of white spots.
    I do have malayan shrimps, wood/mountain shripms and cameroon shrimps.
    What medicine treatment should i do/use ?
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Seeking treatment advise for white spots in planted tank.

Are the spots very fine? Because sometimes it's easy to mistake velvet (Oodinium) for white spot. Typically most medications to deal with either white spot or velvet will contain a form of copper.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Have the same problem now. Haven't been successful in getting rid of it. Number of casualties is 5 fish so far. Action taken remove canister and put hof filter (sponge based) and dose with 5ml seachem para guard for every 40ltr of water.
    Still wait and see as of now.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just an update on this. Used Paraguard from seachem on week 1 & 2 but wasn't succesfull. Lost a total of 10-15 tetras on this period.
    Switch Costapur from Sera for the 5th day now (3rd application since it's alternate days as per the prescription). Some fish are not salvageable probalby due to the wrong treatment on the first 2 weeks (they got spot all over). After first application lost 1-2 tetras and then the death toll stops. Right now can see a few fish with white spot (2 tetras and 1-2 otto), but they seems to be much better (they come out from the cabomba bushes, swimming around and eats).

Hopefully i can completely get rid of this disease in another 2 weeks time (finger crossed)

On future, i will apply the medication on the tank everytime I put new fish for a week, just in case.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Costapur is an efficient medication for dealing with white spots, but not in a tank with shrimps.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you mean they will harm the shrimp ?
    All my shrimp are still ok ( 5 cherry and 4 yamato), so I thought they are ok for shrimp. This is my 4th time medication (7th day since it's alternate days according to the instruction). Maybe they have been acclimatized to the medication before so not so sensitive , or maybe this type is not so sensitive compared to the other shrimp and should not be generalized ?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The user pamphlet that comes in the Costapur box mentions that it is unsafe for inverts.

http://www.sera.de/fileadmin/gbi/021...-01_%20INT.pdf

There is probably a certain degree of tolerance for malachite green oxalate (the key chemical in Costapur) for cherry and yamato shrimp. However, long term exposure is not wise.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Well I do know of some hobbyists' practices, especially for planted tanks, are such that if they even detect any of their fauna which is sick, they rather scoop the affeed party out, dump it then to dose medication into the tank which would affect the rest of the fauna and flora.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Try increasing your water temperature to around 30 degrees celsius. I tried mine without using any medication, as I have a heavily planted aquarium with lots of cherry shrimps and malayan shrimps. After a week or so, with adequate water changes and 30 degrees celsius water temperature, the white spots on my Lamp Eye fishes just gone totally, and now it has not re-occur.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

For me I used ich-x from C328. You can ask the aunty for the shrimp safe ich treatment. But unfortunately it would be a tad more expensive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I got a bottle from some local brand pura....nice packaging talk along but is also methyl blue! Already have that...now 2 bottles!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Forgot to add, besides increasing the temperature to around 30 degrees celsius and above, add sea salt to the aquarium water gradually, this is to kill the free swimming parasites where its lifespan had already shorten by the increase in temperature. Recently, one of my tank was infected because of a new introduction of 50 cardinal tetras which inevitably succumbed to the "neon tetra disease" and cause fishes in the whole tank to be infected with the White Spots. I did the same thing but this time I add "Mircrore-Lift: Herbtana" which would boost the immune system of the fishes in the tank to fight against the disease. It smells nice of Tea Tree Oil. Maybe you should try. You can get this at Seaview Aquarium. It shows signs of recovery on the 2nd to 3rd day, especially on my discuses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzyboi View Post
    Try increasing your water temperature to around 30 degrees celsius. I tried mine without using any medication, as I have a heavily planted aquarium with lots of cherry shrimps and malayan shrimps. After a week or so, with adequate water changes and 30 degrees celsius water temperature, the white spots on my Lamp Eye fishes just gone totally, and now it has not re-occur.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jemswira View Post
    For me I used ich-x from C328. You can ask the aunty for the shrimp safe ich treatment. But unfortunately it would be a tad more expensive.
    this item is actually a powder right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyboi View Post
    Forgot to add, besides increasing the temperature to around 30 degrees celsius and above, add sea salt to the aquarium water gradually, this is to kill the free swimming parasites where its lifespan had already shorten by the increase in temperature. Recently, one of my tank was infected because of a new introduction of 50 cardinal tetras which inevitably succumbed to the "neon tetra disease" and cause fishes in the whole tank to be infected with the White Spots. I did the same thing but this time I add "Mircrore-Lift: Herbtana" which would boost the immune system of the fishes in the tank to fight against the disease. It smells nice of Tea Tree Oil. Maybe you should try. You can get this at Seaview Aquarium. It shows signs of recovery on the 2nd to 3rd day, especially on my discuses.
    Can show a picture of the medication please.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

go to this website: http://www.microbelift.com/products/...na-freshwater/

Quote Originally Posted by Bieffe View Post
    Can show a picture of the medication please.

Feedback Score
    -1 (0%)
    Country
    Antarctica

add some salt