Country
    Singapore

New to planted aquarium - Looking for hardy low tech floating plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I totally new to this setting up of planted aquarium and had read through some posts here, have some queries to clarify, do highlight to me if i missed out anything....

My tank is a 2ft by 1.5ft by 1ft, has 2 baby albino Senegal, 1 common pleco, 2 red clawed lobsters... very little lighting from the tank light placed on the other top tank as i tried putting a tank light above this tank - the Senegal (darting around in the tank or hide) & lobsters (trying to hide by digging or hide and refuse to come out) seemed very frightening so decided not to have it.

As the tank is placed near the door, certain amount of sunlight will still reach the tank but dont think that light sunlight is sufficient.

I read that duckweeds, water lettuce, frogbits, hornwort are plants that can float and requires very little light and still can survive. Right?

Are there any other plants i should consider? Please advise.

Would greatly appreciate if someone can tell me where can I get these plants...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: New to planted aquarium - Looking for hardy low tech floating plants

you can find water lettuce at C328, the normal kind.

Frogbits from fourmers
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Any of the other hardy plants - ferns and nanas still do decently in the tank that gets some light. Remember, that light is equally important for the plant to grow. You may see stunted growth if deprived of sufficient lighting, and worst case is the plant dying eventually. If you're truly interested in a planted tank, invest in some lights.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ferns and nanas need to grow in soil right? Are there any lights that are not so strong or bright (worried might frightened those staying in tank)? Can recommend?

by the way, just chk.... water lettuce, frog's bits, hornwort requires little light right?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

The nanas and ferns don't exactly need to be planted into the soil. Most times they are tied to rocks or wood and are then placed into the tank. Soil will of course provide the necessary nutrients but these plants can do without it since they are much less demanding. The lights won't scare the current inhabitants of the tank so you need not worry about it. You can always opt to get a LED light system. Initial start up might be slightly more expensive than the usual PL or FL lights, but because LED lights consume less electricity, they are more user-friendly in the long run.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

nanas and ferns are good if you are going low tech. both don't really need soil. as what is already mentioned, they are usually tied to driftwoods. i think they look better in the tank rather then having all floating plants.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Barcopa just came into my mind, it is a very hardy plant but alone it is not pretty.
    Else can try java ferns/needle leaf ferns on driftwood, what mincedmeat mention is correct the rhizomes need to be exposed. The thinner roots can go inside substrate (7/10 times it gets trimmed before getting there) .

bichirs like camping around driftwood when idling and red claw crayfish (i think their this and not lobsters, google "red claw crayfish", "Cherax quadricarinatus" or "yabby") likes a cave to "own" else they will start mining around for a DIY cave.

mincedmeat bro, good led like hk75's are the real costly one . Maybe running cost is pocket friendly but doubt bloodymiko will need if he/she goes low requirement plant.

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

you guys are so helpful.... really appreciate....

jus to chk, since both java fern and nana can be tied to driftwood, would it look nice if i were to get both plants and tie it to same driftwood?

as for Barcopa, can it be tied to driftwood too? if not, how can it stand alone? Beside driftwood or cave?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If all you want are hardy floating plants then the easiest is probably Salvinia. If your tank has a source of sunlight the floating plants will survive.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i have shifted my tank nearer to the door where more stronger sunlight will shines in during noon... so i supposed there is a source of sunlight

is it easy to get Salvinia? Uncle at LFS will know what type of plant this is when i tell them?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

It is fairly easy to get Salvinia but some shops may not know what it is if you told them the scientific name of the plant. I got my Salvinia natans from Green Chapter. They have other floaters too or you can check the Marketplace to see if anyone is giving away or selling floaters. Frogbits aka Limnobium laevigatum, Pistia (miniature form) are also suitable floaters. There's a striped form of the frogbit which is quite attractive.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Green Chapter has online webpage and has a shop located at Clementi area right?

Marketplace is a great place too.... saw forum members here giving away their plant trimmings FOC... so kind....

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have Salvinian natans and frogbits too. If your staying nearby can also get from me i got too many lol.
    btw Pista aka mini lettuce.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Appreciate so much.... I'm staying in Central, your place is near me.... I'll contact you in a while... Thank you!!!

And glad that you helped to clear my doubt.... as i was searching for info on pista and found it rather similar to mini water lettuce.... so was trying to find out more before posting my query here Thank you again.....

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bloodymiko View Post
    Green Chapter has online webpage and has a shop located at Clementi area right?

Marketplace is a great place too.... saw forum members here giving away their plant trimmings FOC... so kind....
    That is correct. They also post as a Merchant on these forums.

The Marketplace is indeed great. If you want other easy low light plants, I'd suggest Java Moss. As long as the tank is kept cool but has a source of sunlight or light, it will grow. Just that it might get messy over time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I saw that java moss is very easy to keep in low light tank and it will still grow.... although the speed of growth might be slightly slower due to lighting...

But will it clog up the filtration system? if yes, is there any way to ensure that it won't clog up the pump and damage the pump etc.?
    Last edited by bloodymiko; 6th May 2012 at 09:54.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That depends on what you use for filtration. I seldom find moss trapped in the filter, because I use a sponge cover over my inlet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    That depends on what you use for filtration. I seldom find moss trapped in the filter, because I use a sponge cover over my inlet.
    i see.... mine doesn't have any sponge cover, it just sucks water in directly.... so don't think can fix sponge over it....

but it's alright.... will keep this java moss in mind for my other tanks once i get this tank nicely done up first....

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    Barcopa just came into my mind, it is a very hardy plant but alone it is not pretty.
    Else can try java ferns/needle leaf ferns on driftwood, what mincedmeat mention is correct the rhizomes need to be exposed. The thinner roots can go inside substrate (7/10 times it gets trimmed before getting there) .

bichirs like camping around driftwood when idling and red claw crayfish (i think their this and not lobsters, google "red claw crayfish", "Cherax quadricarinatus" or "yabby") likes a cave to "own" else they will start mining around for a DIY cave.

mincedmeat bro, good led like hk75's are the real costly one . Maybe running cost is pocket friendly but doubt bloodymiko will need if he/she goes low requirement plant.

But it looks nice mah, the LEDs I mean especially with the blue lights. Looks comforting at night.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I have Salvinian natans and frogbits too. If your staying nearby can also get from me i got too many lol.
    btw Pista aka mini lettuce.
    Hi Felix,

Thanks for your plants! so kind of u to offer.....
    Hopefully all of them can survive...