Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What Bio Filter Medias are you using?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Biohome

73 37.24%
  • Eheim Substrat Pro

59 30.10%
  • Mr Aqua CR

20 10.20%
  • Power House

5 2.55%
  • DAZ CR

0 0%
  • Seachem Matrix

49 25.00%
  • ADA Bio Rio

17 8.67%
  • Others

20 10.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Question Re: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    ralliart12 ~
    I assume that you're using your 2224 for a 2ft tank with fishes that do not eat alot and poop alot? Though i don't know how to determine the surface-area-per-unit-of-bioload, i believe that as long as you don't keep fishes like plecos and african cichlids than it's safe to say that it should be ok even if you have just one tray of Biohome...
    au contraire, my fishes eat a lot of live food & I have many of them in this one tank, so there's the "eat-alot-&-many-"small"-poop" factor.

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    ...BTW I just had an idea that we can soak the old clogged up medias in hydrogen peroxide for about 15-20mins to unclog it !! After that rinse the media over running water to clear out the ramnent waste that is still in the pores of the medias. From my understanding from my mom who is a retired nurse, they use hydrogen peroxide to clean difficult to clean wounds which have alot of puss like bed sores or sores due to diabetes and she says that it is very effective in clearing up the puss from the wound. I believe the solution should be able to do the same for our biomedias and somemore, the solution is safe for our fishes.
    I frequently use H2O2 to clean my aquarium equipment & occasionally use it to kill algae. But if I were to use it to mass-reset my media, I'll need a lot of $6-bottles from Guardian/Watson's.

Actually, I don't really know how H2O2 can unclog "pores"?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

The only way to know for sure whether your biomedias are enough a not is to test for ammonia. Do post your results here if do you decide to buy a test kit to test it out.
    Last edited by aquarius; 28th Aug 2012 at 16:18.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ralliart12 ~ Because Hydrogen peroxide has the ability to clean wounds and sores very thoroughly, IMHO it will likely be able to do the same by going into the tiny pores to get rid/breakdown the dirt in there, thereby "unclogging" the pores. Anyway i'd advice against fussing too much about it or giving yourself extra work by doing regular unclogging of the medias because we should be spending more time admiring our fishes and plants, instead of always doing extra/unnecessary maintenance work.

Something i want to highlight........ For a VERY long time, i've noticed that alot of people using the stackable transparent type Overhead Filter, do not stick a black oyama sticker around the filter casing/box to prevent light from getting onto the medias. After some time, the medias become badly infested with algaes thereby competing with the BBs for space. I can understand that it is nice to see the water dripping down over the different levels of filter medias but IMHO this makes all the biomedias badly clogged and defeating the purpose and efficiency of the biomedias. Another thing is it also makes the job of unclogging the medias with hard-to-clean or get-rid-off algaes much more difficult/troublesome, thereby wasting your money.
    Last edited by aquarius; 28th Aug 2012 at 17:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys,

I have a big bag Eheim Substrat (not pro) that looks like broken white pieces of corals which I dare not use because I really thought they were corals. Recently, I test it with vinegar (together with real coral for control) and found it to be inert (did not bubble like the coral) but I'm still not fully convinced if it'll increase pH in the tank.

According to Eheim's website,

http://www.eheim.asia/prod_e_media_bio.html

It states that Substrat Pro and Lav are "pH neutral" but did not state so for the Substrat and Biomech.
    Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Has anyone ever had adverse changes in canister flow rates when using ADA Bio-Rio? I just got myself an Eheim 2217 and 6L of Bio-Rio. But after realizing how fine it is, i'm afraid it'll seriously kill the flow rate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Navanod ~ If you've tested it with vineger and there is no bubbling, then it is inert..... no worries about it. For Ehiem brand of medias, i believe if it increases the ph, it'll definately indicate it in the packaging but you'll need to be more cautious especially with those brandless or asian brand medias.

Cheesetian ~ I believe if you're using the ADA Bio Rio, the flowrate will slow down more than if you're using brands like Ehiem Substrat Pro, Bio-rings, Seachem Matrix or Biohomme (just to name a few brands), if you were to compare them litre for litre. I don't know how much it'll slow down cos i don't use ADA medias but for me it becomes a hassle because you'll need to do more regular filter maintenance.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I just bought a 1L pack of Power Material Bio-Ceramic, anybody using this CR? Let me know your thoughts, tks!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gid View Post
    I just bought a 1L pack of Power Material Bio-Ceramic, anybody using this CR? Let me know your thoughts, tks!
    I'm using it on a HOF on a 1ft tank. Water stabilized in 1 week
    Sharing is Caring

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This PM Bio-Ceramic look like mini biohouse... and biohouse is more effective in wet/dry situation and CR more effective submerge.
    Sometimes, i wonder why they function so differently yet look so alike in structure....
    Truth lasts for Eternality and lies are just waiting to be discovered.

http://bravobb-aqua.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi sorry if I am off topic, but I am looking for coral chips to be placed in my HOF. I read that this helps to increase PH (I dnot want to use chemicals). I went to C328 but could not find this. can bros advise where I can get these and brand/cost?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi limyw,
    First, the coral chip helps to stabilized PH, not increase it so don't expect to see high PH after using it...
    Second, you can always ask the shop owners for coral chips... i am sure they will tell you where to get if they want business... open your mouth please.....
    Truth lasts for Eternality and lies are just waiting to be discovered.

http://bravobb-aqua.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by limyw View Post
    Hi sorry if I am off topic, but I am looking for coral chips to be placed in my HOF. I read that this helps to increase PH (I dnot want to use chemicals). I went to C328 but could not find this. can bros advise where I can get these and brand/cost?
    the coral chips at c328 are at the rack on the left outside the shop where the small tanks are. walk in and look down

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Does Anyone know where is the cheapest lfs do sell Biohome plus after reading all the reviews from the seniors here?? I saw some places sell like 50 over?? damn exp

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

To be honest don't waste your money on Biohome Plus. According to the product info, the difference between the Standard and the Plus version is that the Plus version comes with nutrients to speed up bacteria colonisation. When the manufacturer says "nutrients", I take it to mean that the media is seeded with Ammonia which acts as food for the fast establishment of BBs upon contact with water. If that is the case, you might as well use mulm from an old filter to seed the media and it's free. Save that money and use it to buy some nice fishes.

I live in East Texas, around a little historical town called Jefferson.
    Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Ok, so I am new and have been looking around for a thread that has attracted some 'media' guru's.... This one fits the bill!
    So, I think after all the videos on youtube and reading this thread I think I know what media is.... But how do you know when you need it? And how do you know what you need?
    Like Up there I saw stuff about ceramics, I know that in that area it is either ceramics or plastic and that plastic stuff is worthless unless it is moving up against one another.
    I also saw sponges and... luncheon meat? What exactly are all these different things used for, and how do you know all of these types of water readings? I know how to get the pH useing a formula from chemistry.. but they never did teach us how to get it out of the water...
    Soo I'm kinda lost, and it's all my pump's fault because it stopped working and then I tried to learn how to clean it and found all of this, and then my mom got home, tapped it, and it started going full force again!!!
    By the by, the big compartment in my pump, it's just a normal walmart hangon pump(I think, it was a gift from a friend)... something is supposed to go there, riiiiight? Because I was kind of wondering why there is just a big empty spot... Oh and any suggestions for flat filters? My filter is one of those worthless wheel things and I wanted to put together my own.. just better.
    Also I'm sorry if I make no sense or if this is alot at once, it's just that once I find something that I don't know, I really want to know.
    Plus i think it is worth it, considering how much I stare and laugh at my guppies and loaches.
    And wow, I go off topic really fast, sorry for the bother... Should I copy this and split it up then post it in several different questions in different places...? Again sorry...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have personally used quite a number of medias over the years started out with sponge as a filtration media, move on to cheap cr and slowly was exposed to many filtration biological media with fanciful writings as to how much of water it can treat , surface area the amount of nitrification it can handle and etc etc etc. I will say it all depends on your bioload and the kind of filtration system you have to out the filter media to good use, so much so i trusted Bh plus i did a test by removing my cheap cr and replace with Bh plus result was good no3 reduction , i move on to build a monster fish community thinking all those fanciful big names in media players, matrix which was being run in a incline canister environment worth slow flow rate to my surprise there's not much of differences in nitrification at all so Google and found many people in the west found the, are good in packaging but not to used, sold introduce to a expensive bio volca media and fantastic water achieve , did some search its because of the bacteria that's lives in the volcanic rock which sets this apart from normal rocks, and i decide to decomm all the exp rock n use those cheapo rocks and indeed there are differences.

My personal preferences is this bio volca rock, momotaro, bacteria house , pot scrubbies in my canister so far so good, only will say put the right media in the right filtration system know hoe they work you can turn pot scrubbies to a inexpensive bio media .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hey guys

i am using only coral chips, jap matt and mika wool for bio media in my OHF.
    my tank is 4ft 67 gallons.
    i keep my fishes for 4 years laio, all havent die yet. they die due to fighting instead.
    is this ok? i ask bcos i wanted to keep more fishes. now 12 cichlids , i want to up to 15 cichlids. so i am worry jap matt cant do the job.
    i saw some cheapo china brand CR can i use them? i am very cheapo too... i always buy cheap cheap things... and i enjoy to see them work.

thanks

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by HB@wheelz View Post
    Ok, so I am new and have been looking around for a thread that has attracted some 'media' guru's.... This one fits the bill!
    So, I think after all the videos on youtube and reading this thread I think I know what media is.... But how do you know when you need it? And how do you know what you need?
    Like Up there I saw stuff about ceramics, I know that in that area it is either ceramics or plastic and that plastic stuff is worthless unless it is moving up against one another.
    I also saw sponges and... luncheon meat? What exactly are all these different things used for, and how do you know all of these types of water readings? I know how to get the pH useing a formula from chemistry.. but they never did teach us how to get it out of the water...
    Soo I'm kinda lost, and it's all my pump's fault because it stopped working and then I tried to learn how to clean it and found all of this, and then my mom got home, tapped it, and it started going full force again!!!
    By the by, the big compartment in my pump, it's just a normal walmart hangon pump(I think, it was a gift from a friend)... something is supposed to go there, riiiiight? Because I was kind of wondering why there is just a big empty spot... Oh and any suggestions for flat filters? My filter is one of those worthless wheel things and I wanted to put together my own.. just better.
    Also I'm sorry if I make no sense or if this is alot at once, it's just that once I find something that I don't know, I really want to know.
    Plus i think it is worth it, considering how much I stare and laugh at my guppies and loaches.
    And wow, I go off topic really fast, sorry for the bother... Should I copy this and split it up then post it in several different questions in different places...? Again sorry...
    Hi wheelz,

firstly, welcome to AQ, what you have read actually over here in Singapore are very much easily accessible by many of us. after reading your post, realised its merely a misunderstanding of language.

i may not assist in your answering in sequence but hope i can clear some of your doubts here.
    sponges and luncheon meat. there is no connection. its just an analogy and certain ways of fun chatting here.
    all those parameters you have seen are usually measured by test kits. pH, simple, we use pH meters, pH pen or test kits which uses various ways of measuring (pH "liquid", and, litmus paper? hope i do not remember the name wrongly)

the pump that you have mentioned we have no idea what it is, wallmart is in US and we do not have them here. Locally, to speak of a western common aquarium brand that we use alot is eheim. But we do have a fair share of other brands from various countries and they work as well. It is also to my understanding, in fact locally (or in fact in asia), aquatic products are cheaper than some other countries (considering they are "imported goods"). If you like to, i do see that ebay have a fair share of aquatic products that you can purchase from and your local shipment and freight is much more cheaper than overseas international shipping.

as for ceramic rings of plastic stuffs. this are very personal and everyone have their own way of set up. many types of filters etc. all works in their own way and all are effective in their own areas of usage.

hope i am able to open the door to our local scene of fish keeping. cheers!
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

order your fishes here. get quotes now!

email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

of course, not forgetting, you have come to the right place where there are many experts to answer your queries out here and share their experiences. ^_^
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

order your fishes here. get quotes now!

email: [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm using ISTA quartz rings on the first tray of my Fluval 306, Matrix on second and ISTA lava rocks on the third. Thinking of removing my first tray to use BioFoam instead, The prefilter is still course sponge and i have twin sponge filters on the intake pipes.
    Equipment:-
    Classica Bow Front, Fluval 306 Canister + DIY PVC/EHEIM piping,Aquazonic 5W UVC,Green Element Plant EVO Quad 24" 6500K,DIY dimmable Dawn/Dusk LED strip,ANS CO2 regulator with solenoid + UP Aqua Super Diffuser,Boyu FS-55 fan w/ DIY Digital Thermostat
    Creating an underwater nirvana & loving it!