Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What Bio Filter Medias are you using?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Biohome

73 37.24%
  • Eheim Substrat Pro

59 30.10%
  • Mr Aqua CR

20 10.20%
  • Power House

5 2.55%
  • DAZ CR

0 0%
  • Seachem Matrix

49 25.00%
  • ADA Bio Rio

17 8.67%
  • Others

20 10.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hi bros

how about those bio-rods... dog shit imitations? $2 only...not too x???
    thanks

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jc92195 View Post
    hi bros

how about those bio-rods... dog shit imitations? $2 only...not too x???
    thanks
    Those are used mostly in sump and ohf i believe.
    Lots of people are using Marine Pure Bio Balls now and there is the moving bed media , K1 recently there is a new type of biochip.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I know this may sound silly but are these media suppose to be in the filter?

I've seen photo of tank setup which the pack of media is just placed in the tank.

Does it still works that way?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Kazuo View Post
    I know this may sound silly but are these media suppose to be in the filter?

I've seen photo of tank setup which the pack of media is just placed in the tank.

Does it still works that way?
    They can be used either in a filter or just placed in a tank... the difference is in a filter the tank water is constantly recirculating and flowing through the media, so the beneficial bacteria that live in the media get a more constant supply of waste/nutrients and oxygen to process, hence performing more effective filtration and nitrification work.

If just placed in a tank, beneficial bacteria will still colonize the media (as they do on all surfaces of the tank), but as the supply of waste/nutrients and oxygen may not be as consistent, the bacteria's overall efficiency may also tend to be reduced.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wanted to replace one of the tray of Eheim Mechpro in my Eheim 2075 with a biomedia... went to seaview to check out Biohome Ultimate which seems highly recommended... But one of the staff hard sell me with the Azoo 4 in 1... he says Matrix, Marinepure and Biohome all outdated liaoz... these can only trap waste but the bacterial cannot break it down... In the end i told him i go back research more first... but during my brief 10 mins at the biomedia sections, i saw quite a number of pple grabbing this Azoo 4 in 1...

btw, he says this Azoo will lower the ph... and must take out the white color type from the 4 in 1 if want to keep dwarf shrimps

Seems like seaview pple keep recommending Azoo products... which is much cheaper than other brands...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

One of my favourite home-made media is air tubing cut into beads. If we check old air tubing, we can find that the inner walls are usually covered with a layer of dirt or algae. I suspect there are also bacteria colonies. This led me to think that it is a good media material. I had previously used cut up drinking straws in the same way, but I found that they are a bit too flimsy to handle. Cut up air tubing is much to my liking as it has more weight and a nice thickness, unlike ceramic or other rings, they being too thick and thus wastes space.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ryangiggs View Post
    Wanted to replace one of the tray of Eheim Mechpro in my Eheim 2075 with a biomedia... went to seaview to check out Biohome Ultimate which seems highly recommended... But one of the staff hard sell me with the Azoo 4 in 1... he says Matrix, Marinepure and Biohome all outdated liaoz... these can only trap waste but the bacterial cannot break it down... In the end i told him i go back research more first... but during my brief 10 mins at the biomedia sections, i saw quite a number of pple grabbing this Azoo 4 in 1...

btw, he says this Azoo will lower the ph... and must take out the white color type from the 4 in 1 if want to keep dwarf shrimps

Seems like seaview pple keep recommending Azoo products... which is much cheaper than other brands...
    Well, i've no comment on whether the Azoo 4-in-1 media is better than the other brands of media or not (its up to buyers to research and make their own decisions), but as someone who has worked in sales and sales management for many years before, that type of super keen product recommendations by shop staff usually tend to be greatly influenced by... *ahem* "incentives".
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ryangiggs View Post

Try google for the review. I remember reading on some oversea forum saying the Azoo dont last very long as it break down.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Guys, remember to keep your media in a dark area . I have read about bacteria not performing well in lighted area so my theory is even if you are using cheap media , it may work well if they are kept performing in a dark area .

Right now trending in the saltwater forum , the Marinepure Ceramic Block measuring 8x8x4 is the go to media for sump tank usage , with the ball version follow closely behind. HOWEVER , the block version will crumble overtime , so user should use the set and forget method , meaning after placing it in the sump , to not move it often.

Another trending media in the saltwater forum is the old classic Sera Siporax 15mm or 25mm sized filter media used for Pond usage . A Brazilian forum exposes the benefit of using this classic media for successfully keeping hard coral and this method is being followed in the US forum too . A liter of Sera Siporax will treat 100 liter of seawater in removing phosphate and nitrate . How the Sera Siporax user found out that by arranging the media vertically and using egg crate or light diffuser , it provide the ideal space for bacteria instead of haphazardly throwing the media in the sump. Meticulous arranging of this media is the key to success found by their user . Maybe Eheim media user might have to relook to re-arranging their o-ring media vertically instead of dumping it in the media tray . Use a satay stick to assist in arranging the media .

As for Azoo 4 in 1 , I have a colleague using this solely in 4 of his canister filter for a single 4ft community tank but I do not see any advantage . Myself , I am hunting for the Sera Siporax Pond media for my reef tank . Looking at purchasing the 50 liter pack as I want to try keeping hard coral too . May approach the distributor and ask if they could ship in this version .

For those keeping community tank fishes might look into Sera Siporax to reduce their phosphate and nitrate level efficiently. Look for the Pond version 15mm or 25mm size. Do not expose the media to fish waste solid , instead use the filter wool or even a pre filter to capture the solid. The media is there to house the bacteria and shouldn't be clogged by fish waste or uneaten food as it might clogged the media pores . Look at the linked image below for in sump use .

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...yRhEqr3ss_M%3A

Hope this helps !
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Guys, remember to keep your media in a dark area . I have read about bacteria not performing well in lighted area so my theory is even if you are using cheap media , it may work well if they are kept performing in a dark area .

Right now trending in the saltwater forum , the Marinepure Ceramic Block measuring 8x8x4 is the go to media for sump tank usage , with the ball version follow closely behind. HOWEVER , the block version will crumble overtime , so user should use the set and forget method , meaning after placing it in the sump , to not move it often.

Another trending media in the saltwater forum is the old classic Sera Siporax 15mm or 25mm sized filter media used for Pond usage . A Brazilian forum exposes the benefit of using this classic media for successfully keeping hard coral and this method is being followed in the US forum too . A liter of Sera Siporax will treat 100 liter of seawater in removing phosphate and nitrate . How the Sera Siporax user found out that by arranging the media vertically and using egg crate or light diffuser , it provide the ideal space for bacteria instead of haphazardly throwing the media in the sump. Meticulous arranging of this media is the key to success found by their user . Maybe Eheim media user might have to relook to re-arranging their o-ring media vertically instead of dumping it in the media tray . Use a satay stick to assist in arranging the media .

As for Azoo 4 in 1 , I have a colleague using this solely in 4 of his canister filter for a single 4ft community tank but I do not see any advantage . Myself , I am hunting for the Sera Siporax Pond media for my reef tank . Looking at purchasing the 50 liter pack as I want to try keeping hard coral too . May approach the distributor and ask if they could ship in this version .

For those keeping community tank fishes might look into Sera Siporax to reduce their phosphate and nitrate level efficiently. Look for the Pond version 15mm or 25mm size. Do not expose the media to fish waste solid , instead use the filter wool or even a pre filter to capture the solid. The media is there to house the bacteria and shouldn't be clogged by fish waste or uneaten food as it might clogged the media pores . Look at the linked image below for in sump use .

https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=s...yRhEqr3ss_M%3A

Hope this helps !
    Eh, I don't quite understand when you mean arrange the siporax vertically..... Can show a picture?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Biohome is such an awesome product. They have my vote

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here it is.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...-u-not!/page80

I meant stacking the media .
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Here it is.

http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/s...-u-not!/page80

I meant stacking the media .
    Thanks for the link man...!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,I have 2 filters which are 2075 and 2236.

Filter arrangements for 2236 are...

Top tray-white filter wool
    Eheim Bio Mech

Middle tray-Eheim Substrat Pro
    Seachem Purigen

Bottom tray-Seachem Matrix

Media arrangements for 2075...

Top tray-white filter wool
    Eheim Bio Mech

2nd tray-Eheim Substrat Pro
    Seachem Purigen

3rd tray-Seachem Matrix

4th tray-Seachem Matrix

I am getting interested in Eheim Lav and considering the possibility of putting them in my 2236 and 2075.Which filter media do I need to phase out if I decide on putting the Eheim Lav in my filters?

Is the Eheim Lav good enough to replace any of the filter medias in my Eheims?
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have not tried the Eheim Lav before .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh I see,is it a relatively new product?
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    I am getting interested in Eheim Lav and considering the possibility of putting them in my 2236 and 2075.Which filter media do I need to phase out if I decide on putting the Eheim Lav in my filters?

Is the Eheim Lav good enough to replace any of the filter medias in my Eheims?
    Since Eheim Lav is a bio-media, it should be a substitute for bio-media in your filter... like the Seachem Matrix.

Any particular reason why you'd want to change your existing bio-media?

Doesn't seem like many people use the Lav bio-media though, i guess most people tend to go for the "better" versions like Substrat Pro or Seachem Matrix (or any of the other more expensive brands of bio-media).
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RenesisTurbo View Post
    Oh I see,is it a relatively new product?
    Have not found a need to use it yet .

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

1) Biohome Plus
    2) Eheim Substrat Pro
    3) Seachem Matrix

Biohome Plus is my absolute favourite, a sure winner for its surface area and porous structure.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I added MarinePure (Block and Sphere) to my sump, that is also pretty good.
    When i do some cleaning of my sump i lifted the block up, i feel alot of water inside dripping out of the big block.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast