Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

View Poll Results: What Bio Filter Medias are you using?

Voters
196. You may not vote on this poll
  • Biohome

73 37.24%
  • Eheim Substrat Pro

59 30.10%
  • Mr Aqua CR

20 10.20%
  • Power House

5 2.55%
  • DAZ CR

0 0%
  • Seachem Matrix

49 25.00%
  • ADA Bio Rio

17 8.67%
  • Others

20 10.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: What is your Favourite Bio Filter Media

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Do not handle the block too often as it gets brittle as time goes by , you might break it the next time you handle it .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Do not handle the block too often as it gets brittle as time goes by , you might break it the next time you handle it .
    Yup, not going to touch it often as I felt the edges shed/break off a little while i removed it that day during cleaning.
    Hopefully, i will touch it less than once a year.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

All kinds of biomedia serve only one function, which is to provide a suitable platform for good bacteria to cling on to.
    The more surface area available, the more bacteria can reside within. Since bacteria builds up in time, they will clog up the tiny pores in certain media, making it difficult for water to flow through to nourish the bacteria. Because of this, I prefer simple ceramic rings or similarly structured media, my favourite being small-sized ceramic rings.

Another of my favourite medium is sponge. With sufficient water pressure to effect good flowthrough it is a wonderful medium.

I never clean the buildup on my media except to siphon up the muck settled on the bottom, since the buildup on media are dense with bacteria.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Lava rock cheap cheap good for budget fish keeper.
    I'm A Newbie Pls Don't Flame Me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

though slightly off topic,
    I just would like to check with follow hobbyists on effectiveness of eheim Mech pro or any brand ceramic rings for mechanical filtration. are these useful?
    every time i clean the filter I wonder what good they are doing in the filter I don't see any dirt or debris in those compartments, I feel coarse filter foam is much better than these rings.
    I already removed these rings from 2080 and planning to replace it with a coarse foam or sponge in my 2075.

any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have previously used ehiem mech pro with my ehiem filter and I am now using Azoo media in a sump tank. To be honest, I am not able to provide an independent assessment which of these two are better because I can't setup controls properly to do the comparison. (However there is an interesting thread over at plantedtank.net 'Matrix without Seachem' where a guy tried to measure the difference between Seachem Matrix and normal pumice stones.)

But I am beginning to subscribe to the theory that since we can't decide which media has got more surface areas therefore I am adopting the approach used by some of the hobbyists here and elsewhere - which is to over-filter. Do check out this - http://www.oscarfish.com/water/179-a...lony-size.html

Also different mechanical media have different functions. I used coarse wool at the start of the filtering so that I can trap the large particles and prevent them from clogging the surface areas of my other media.

Thereafter the rest of the filtering compartments are filled with as much filter media as I can put in so that they provide the housing for the bacteria.

Sorry to OP.. did not mean to hijack the thread. Just wanted to share as I am also on the eternal quest to hunt for the best media!

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SGDiscus; 4th Jan 2017 at 16:04. Reason: Left out some pointers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

@SGDiscus

I absolutely agree with your ideas about 'over-filtering'. Actually, I tend to think that there's no such thing as 'over-filtering'. To me, having a huge reserve capacity of surface area, as in a big sump, is a plus. When the bioload is low, excess bacteria simply dies off. When the bioload increases, thus creating more available nutriment, the bacteria colonies will propagate accordingly. Thus, a big sump is the ultimate in fish water filtering.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    @SGDiscus

I absolutely agree with your ideas about 'over-filtering'. Actually, I tend to think that there's no such thing as 'over-filtering'. To me, having a huge reserve capacity of surface area, as in a big sump, is a plus. When the bioload is low, excess bacteria simply dies off. When the bioload increases, thus creating more available nutriment, the bacteria colonies will propagate accordingly. Thus, a big sump is the ultimate in fish water filtering.
    Sump is good, i agree with you. But occasionally need to suck up the dirt that build up over time. I just dont like the water level of the sump and tank. Need to align properly and easily overflow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, the most pekchek thing about sumps is the water overflow and flooding in the event of pump failure. It is possible to create a vertical sump with two tall barrels, with one barrel acting as a standby overflow receptical.

If I have a sump, I will not suck up the bottom dirt, because I treat that dirt as a precious adfitional medium for bacteria. Since the sump is hidden from view, that dirt won't make any difference.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Digress a bit, which is the same reason why i opted for a overflow system and my inflow (oppsite end) have a small hole drilled to create airlock in case of pump failure.

Return compartment with the max lvl operating water lvls marked.

Only downside is the bottom of the tank under the overflow will accumulate debris from the wave maker under the overflow. Still trying to slove this , i even added a eheim internal filter there.

Purigen is also a good addition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Internal filter in the sump? Wow, can post a picture of your sump setup? I also mark my water level lol. Trying to align the water level.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by skytan View Post
    Digress a bit, which is the same reason why i opted for a overflow system and my inflow (oppsite end) have a small hole drilled to create airlock in case of pump failure.

Return compartment with the max lvl operating water lvls marked.

Only downside is the bottom of the tank under the overflow will accumulate debris from the wave maker under the overflow. Still trying to slove this , i even added a eheim internal filter there.

Purigen is also a good addition.
    Nice. I agree with you. My tank maker also has a hole drilled to break the siphon. Also he measured properly so that the return compartment is enough to handle when the pump stops. In fact, i always switched off the pump when I change water.

I also added an internal filter (cheap one) at the return compartment for final filtering.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Images

I just bought biohome to replace my normal ceramic rings in canister filter. Seachem matrix claim 1L treat 200L water, S$19. Biohome claim 300g treat 900L water, S$10. Not sure which is better, but decided to try biohome.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

There are 4 types of Biohomme available as far as I know . Cant remember the type though as I have not been to the lfs for a long time and had not have an active tank right now . I know this as I saw all 4 types of Biohomme media at the Jalan Kayu lfs ( forgotten the name though ) .
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

the 4 types are 1)Biohomme , 1) biohomme plus , 3) biohomme ultra , biohomme ultimate

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by aquarius View Post
    very imformative. Thanks for sharing

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi...I am using Ecco Pro 300.

Are my placements of the filter media correct?

Top Tray-White fine sponge
    Eheim Substrat Pro
    Seachem Purigen

Middle Tray-Eheim BioMech

Bottom Tray-Seachem Matrix
    -50 assorted normal Platies, 12 assorted Corydoras, 30 Ember Tetras and 14 Kuhli Loaches in a 90 x 45 x 50 tank.(Eheim Ecco Pro 300)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm currently using a mixture of plain sponge, Seachem Matrix and Biohome Plus. Considering my stocking levels, I probably could have not bothered with the Biohome Plus, but found it really stood the test of time and my water perameters always come back perfect (as long as I keep up with my water changes!)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789