Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fostering Fish Mother turned into fish fanatic!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fostering Fish Mother turned into fish fanatic!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Turpentine, the activated carbon or AC, should not be rinsed repeatedly. They are meant to be replaced periodically within 2-4 weeks of use, never more than 1 month as their ability to adsorb chemical pollutants in the water starts to reach the maximum point. They can be recharged but the methods involved cause too much hassle to be economical in the long term. If you want a filter material that has the same capability as AC, try using Seachem's Purigen. It does the same job and can be recharged with the use of a 1:1 mix of water and bleach.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...s/Purigen.html

The only thing is, you have to place this product in a fine meshed filter bag before placing it in your filter. I find that the best part about this product is that the color changes as it adsorbs more and more chemical pollutants.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I have got to agree that Purigen is a good product.

I would actually not recommend you to do a recharge of the Seachem Purigen with bleach as I would rather have you throw in a new batch of purigen every 6 months. My point being is that you would have to be real careful to remove all bleach components from purigen before adding it back into the filter, and one mistake would result in loss of everything in the tank. That said, some do it as it saves them quite a bit due to the amount of purigen they add into the filter.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Good rinsing and then soaking (eg overnight) of bleach-recharged Purigen is a sensible cost-saving idea worth carrying out. But novices must avoid doing it all cost.

Generally speaking, novices must never do what an experienced veteran does, simply because a novice will not have that added store of knowledge so necessary for doing things the right way. In other words, the same sound idea will produce entirely different results (usually disastrous) in the hands of a novice.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Good rinsing and then soaking (eg overnight) of bleach-recharged Purigen is a sensible cost-saving idea worth carrying out. But novices must avoid doing it all cost.

Generally speaking, novices must never do what an experienced veteran does, simply because a novice will not have that added store of knowledge so necessary for doing things the right way. In other words, the same sound idea will produce entirely different results (usually disastrous) in the hands of a novice.
    speaking of what I seen. Purigen is good stuff. Even when I've never used it before. The online reviews normally is singing praises to it.

I really do strongly agree to what you mention. Experience also comes with many heartaches
    New hobbyist best follow rough guidelines and accumulate experience.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fish-keeping is more difficult than people think, lol. It is a very challenging hobby. We have to take our hats off to those who have made it and managed to keep fish for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by felix_fx2 View Post
    I really do strongly agree to what you mention. Experience also comes with many heartaches
    New hobbyist best follow rough guidelines and accumulate experience.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Ok. So today I installed an air pump. Guppies are definitely happier. Although I think it stressed everyone a bit all around. I do plan on getting a better filtration system in the future...I know this is just an "adequate" one. I also changed out the carbon filter today in case this was a problem. So far so good! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337226822.836694.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    How does it look? Did I install it correctly? I anchored it down, but it seems like it has a lot of force! Bubble galore!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

From the picture you took, it seems right. How big is the tank, and at how many litres/hour is the air pump?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    It's a 20 gal tank. And that's a good question. The fish guy said it was appropriate for my size tank. I will check in the daylight tomorrow and check back in....all lights are out now and it's off to bed. Even the tetras turned off their colors.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not only Tetras need sleep, humans too need to take a nap at times.

I see you are doing well with your fish so far.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    It's a fusion 200. That's all it says. No liters per min or anything stated.

My girls are swimming about today like there's not a care in the world! Yay! I'm so happy! They are back to feeling good! Thank you all for your help! Happy fishies! They play with each other and swim about doing a dance of sorts...very cool.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

A quick search on Google and I found out that the air pump is appropriate for the tank size, though no where does it state the output/litre. Nonetheless, don't be overtly concern about the force.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Thanks! Crazy work day and I haven't even had the time to think about the simplest task of google! easy as apple pie right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Found a snail!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337539733.869440.jpg

What should I do???

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Cook the snail...lol...just a joke to lighten you up...

Remove the snail manually...maybe it hitch hike from plants or driftwood....

By the way,its always good to quarantine plants and decoration you bought from lfs with anti snail solution prior putting them into aquarium... From the picture,the snail looks line pond snail?? It will eat plants so manual remove any you see..

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Found TWO of the buggers! UGGGGHHH! And they move pretty fast! Not at all what I expected! Are they algae eaters normally? Are they beneficial in a tank if you don't have plants?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You should probably remove them, especially if they bug you (no pun intended). These snails probably don't clear algae at all.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Given that I have loads of plants I don't feel too bad getting rid of them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Once my 3ft tank was plagued by these pests. That was when I had my big shoal of Neon Tetras. I remember I had to pick them out feom the plants and discard them every other day. It's a real chore. They propagate real fast, talk abour swift snails. I won't want any snails in my tank, unless it's for cultivating "big bad boons" (Russian Daphnia Magna).

Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
    Found TWO of the buggers! UGGGGHHH! And they move pretty fast! Not at all what I expected! Are they algae eaters normally? Are they beneficial in a tank if you don't have plants?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

These are pond snails. I used to have them tons in my tank. They breed like rabbits Just remove them

Advice from boss Felix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast