Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fostering Fish Mother turned into fish fanatic!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Wink Fostering Fish Mother turned into fish fanatic!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello from Chicago, USA. Recently my son left town to say, "Mom...take care of Sweet Cheeks". I had no clue! A sweet little Crown Betta in a soiled tank of 5 gallons now has a 10 gallon filtered heated planted fish wonderland with some cardinal tetras and two fancy guppies! I am learning loads every day, and try to educate myself on diet and tank needs to keep this guy the happiest he can be! He enjoys a diet of frozen brine and freeze-dried mysis along with flake food. He snubs his "nose" at those nasty pellet things my son said he would only eat before...I can't imagine why!

I pray that I am doing everything right...I added aquarium salt the other day for the first time...I've read mixed reviews...he has a torn pectoral fin...I was told this would help heal him. He seems to be fine but I am still very concerned. I would like to move up to a 20gallon tank as well. It seems more humane. More space for my little prince to swim about!

Any comments would be appreciated!

Swim on fishes!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Fostering Fish Mother turned into fish fanatic!

Applause! To me bettas should be housed in aquariums just like other fish. It is very sad for me personally to see them sold in those tiny tanks. I'm suprised the guppies arent being attacked by the betta.

As for salt, i'm not experience enough to comment but small dosage should be fine?

Hope to see a picture of sweet cheeks. =

And welcome to AQ.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi, nice to see you in this forum. It's wonderful to know that you have been brought closer to the fish world. There's really more than meets the eye in fish-keeping. And it is an extremely satisfying and life-enriching hobby, especially when one does things right.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Yes I am thoroughly enjoying myself! I can watch my guys for hours it seems! One thing I notice is the activity of my Betta becomes a bit more active after a water change?!? Any insights?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice to know also that you are obviously love fish.

Bettas are not normally very 'active' fish in the sense that they are always 'up and about in the tank' like guppies and tetras for example. If they show signs of being overly active after a water change, it may be that they are feeling uncomfortable. But no matter what, always do only partial water change. Big water changes abruptly changes the water's condition in which the fish is acustomed, causing it discomfort. And change only with old water which has been left standing for a few days, not straight from the tap. Also always check to make sure that the filter is on and running all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
    Yes I am thoroughly enjoying myself! I can watch my guys for hours it seems! One thing I notice is the activity of my Betta becomes a bit more active after a water change?!? Any insights?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Yup. Done and done. 20% change once a week with water I have treated from the tap the previous week. I cover the gallon jug so no debris can get in but not fitted so air flow can still move. I think he is just more active because the water is moving. Once it settles down he seems fine. I think I'm just a nervous new mom. It's only been a month since I've taken over the care of Sweet Cheeks, and I want to give him the best possible home.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ah, I see that you have been doing the right things.

Since you have a big tank with few fish, everything should be fine. As long as you do not leave food that is uneaten behind, and don't add chemicals or salt, there should be no problem, and your tank should be fine with the small water changes. In fact, if there's only a few fish in a big tank, water changes is not such an imporant matter.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I have been told that aquarium salt is good for them? But again I read so many mixed reviews. Use it for help in healing wounds. That is what my main question was...should I add some salt because of his little torn pectoral fin? He has quite the hearty appetite...so I know that nutritionally he is getting what he needs, but from a veterinary stand point, swimming around in standing water is quite nasty to me! I think this weekend is the move to the 20 gal tank. I will set it up tomorrow....and let it sit for quite some time then transfer my guys over....if I use the water they are currently in that shouldn't be too much of a shock I hope. A 50% solute change instead of the normal 80/20. Maybe I'd better do it in 2 stages.

Again, I am still torn up about the whole aquarium salt issue....

How long have you kept fish and what do you have?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Sweet Cheeks jumped ship today. Found him on the floor. I feel sick. ;(

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Have reared Guppies, Ryukins and Ranchus (Goldfish), a Luohan (Cichlid), Angels (Lionheads), Cory Sterbais, mixed Tetras, Bettas. Loved fish since a little kid. I have also used salt since a long time ago, learned that from my old uncle long time back.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Do guppies like to hang around the top or is this stress?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If they remain for long hours close to the top, they might be suffering from an illness, or lack of oxygen. Typically, they will go all over the tank from top to bottom, but primarily in the middle and upper water levels. If you see them skimming the surface with their mouths and breathing rapidly, that means they need more oxygen in the water, so additional aeration will be good.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    They go all over...but stay primarily towards the top 1/2 of the tank. No skimming noted as you advised...but will keep eyes open and aware. I imagine with the tank change all are still pretty stressed with the new environment.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I believe stormhawk was right about lack of oxygen. When fish are stressed, they don't usually go to the top, they'd rather hide at the safe bottom. If they are starved of oxygen, they will stay at the upper level 'at all cost'.
    They go all over...but stay primarily towards the top 1/2 of the tank. No skimming noted as you advised...but will keep eyes open and aware. I imagine with the tank change all are still pretty stressed with the new environment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I have both filters running...what else should I do for more oxygen? I have the old filter and the new filter going so I have the bio going.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    So I have the bio filter from the old tank...now I'm worried about my guppies.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry for replying late, gone for breakfast.

What type of filters are you using? HOF or internal (bubbling) filter? Can you show a picture too?
    I have both filters running...what else should I do for more oxygen? I have the old filter and the new filter going so I have the bio going.
    Last edited by tetrakid; 16th May 2012 at 08:11.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

A biological filter also needs to be maintained in good and healthy condition.

The most important thing is for oygenated water to pass through the bio filter. If the bacteria are also starved of oxygen, they will quickly die off, and then you will be left with no bio filter, though the sponge is still there. That is why I place TOP priority on good oxygenation in any tank.

So I have the bio filter from the old tank...now I'm worried about my guppies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I have a plastic bio filter...I use right now the Aqueon filters which has the plastic bio filters that bacteria adheres to the prongs. No sponge.

I rinse my charcoal filter once weekly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yours is a HOF (Hang-On Filter), which is hung on a side of the aquarium. The blue part is the bio filter cartridge, inside which exists the bio media (material for the bacteria to hang on to). What I said about sponge applies, no matter what media material is used for the bio work.

Your particular brand of HOF is designed such that water drops into the tank, and which apparently have no 'lip', like in some HOFs which I like.
    I have a plastic bio filter...I use right now the Aqueon filters which has the plastic bio filters that bacteria adheres to the prongs. No sponge.

I rinse my charcoal filter once weekly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast