Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Aphyosemion sp. Oyo

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, recently purchase a bag of eggs from the mass order. Today I see some fries swimming. Now what should I do? Do I need to feed it? Can feed Walter worm?
    Last edited by stormhawk; 10th May 2012 at 08:17.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oyo

Walter worms are too big for them at this stage. Vinegar eels, infusoria, baby brine shrimp or daphnia should be alright. It's crucial that they eat and are not overfed at this stage. Once they are large enough to eat tubifex, it's pretty much ok.
    Cheers,
    Bernard
    Kept (no more ) Betta persephone, B. miniopinna, B. sp. palangkaraya, B. uberis, B. channoides, B. burdigala
    Pseudepiplatys annulatus, Nannostomus eques

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Aphyosemion sp. Oyo

Start off with green water and vinegar eels. Walter worms/microworms should be fine as a first food depending on the size of the fry.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You can try feeding them newly hatched fairy shrimps. I think they are the "IN" thing now for fry food.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Fairy shrimp look like brine shrimp, where to get it from?
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can get them as eggs from overseas sources, or wait till Green Chapter has theirs going on strong. I've seen the culture box and spotted many nauplii, so they should be pretty productive soon enough. They have the dry cysts for sale so they'll work as well as BBS eggs do.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 12th May 2012 at 07:24.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Look like a good alternative to the BBS and easier to hatch
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hatch rate is not consistent, because what you see is basically the dry eggs mixed in with soil that they collected from the ponds where they culture these fairy shrimp. The Thai sellers are probably selling Streptocephalus sirindhornae. The other species you can find is Dendrocephalus brasiliensis but I don't think that species is present here. The ones at GC are S. sirindhornae.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    ...or wait till Green Chapter has theirs going on strong. I've seen the culture box and spotted many nauplii, so they should be pretty productive soon enough
    GC uncle don't have any plans to sell Streptocephalus sirindhornae cultures, so you can stop eyeing at whatever goes on in that green green tub. As is, I don't think he has enough to feed his own fish fry and I'll admit that those danged nauplii are super duper small... even newly hatched BBS appears larger!!

He does, however, sells the cysts (resting eggs) to whoever takes the effort to attempt them (but his stock is very limited).
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gotten a couple of sets of fairy shrimps eggs from the Uncle in Green Chapter. I must say I am rather impressed with the hatch rate of these shrimps. Very useful especially if you have newly hatched fries during busy periods like Chinese New Year. No need salt water, no need aeration. These fellas really do come in very handy.

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SirBest View Post
    Gotten a couple of sets of fairy shrimps eggs from the Uncle in Green Chapter. I must say I am rather impressed with the hatch rate of these shrimps. Very useful especially if you have newly hatched fries during busy periods like Chinese New Year. No need salt water, no need aeration. These fellas really do come in very handy.
    The adults are stunning animals in their own rights as well. They remind me of Anomalocaris of Ordovician period.
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I love the way they move gracefully in green water. But I was just wondering whether did any hobbyists manage to spawn the adults to give another batch of eggs?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by downxxer View Post
    Hi all, recently purchase a bag of eggs from the mass order. Today I see some fries swimming. Now what should I do? Do I need to feed it? Can feed Walter worm?
    Hi,

Been a while since this topic started. How are the Aphyosemion spec. Oyo going anyway? Would like to hear from you on any updates.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Here's mine...

8 - AUS Cap Lopez. 2 young pairs, 2 bluddy stunted, 2 unsexed
    4 - Ap Oyo. Still in growout tank. Should have a pair... I think
    0 - Ch Penda Nboko
    0 - Ch loennbergii

Not the best results but sure beats having one fry of each species.

The Aphyosemion elberti Ngong ADK 10-313 that Kwek Leong passed me has produced a small group of 2cm young adults but none have colored up yet, so I'm hoping that it isn't all-female.

If things goes as planned (naah.. that will never happen), I'd be able to sell/distribute some of the elberti eggs from F2 onwards (probably next year, so don't hold your breath).

Also, pardon the temporary lack of participation in the forum as many things are still 'work in progress' at my fishes' "new home"... kekeke...
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I tore down the Ap. Oyo grow-out tub and d@mn... I see 3 boys and nothing else!!! They are approx. 2.5-3cm and if somebody out there has a damsel to swap, I'd be delighted.

Haven't the time to check on the AUS Cap Lopez but I know there are at least 2 pairs in the tub somewhere. The males have colored up very nicely and will need conditioning before i attempt breeding them comes monsoon season.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    I tore down the Ap. Oyo grow-out tub and d@mn... I see 3 boys and nothing else!!! They are approx. 2.5-3cm and if somebody out there has a damsel to swap, I'd be delighted.
    Whoops... I think that's what every breeder dreads the most.

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    Haven't the time to check on the AUS Cap Lopez but I know there are at least 2 pairs in the tub somewhere. The males have colored up very nicely and will need conditioning before i attempt breeding them comes monsoon season.
    Yeap, still waiting for the monsoon season to arrive. Most of the eggs from my recent Betta coccina spawn turn out to be infertile and I think it has got something to do with the climate. Only left with 4 fry still attached with yolk-sac in a plastic petri dish. Fingers crossed.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 1st Oct 2012 at 16:03.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

A brief update to my post of 25th July.

Aphyosemion sp. Oyo ... I *think* I might have a pair but they dashed into the undergrowth before I got a good look at them.

Aphyosemion australe Cap Lopez... was 2 young pairs, 2 bluddy stunted, 2 unsexed but... oh gawddammit!!! I know I had a male in the tub but... double confirm chop chop... I'm left with 3 plumb females!! *%&)(*&^)(%#@

Anyone by chance have a male AUS Cap Lopez????
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have to say this... really d@mn disappointed losing the lone AUS male especially when the monsoon season is now right at our doorsteps... *sigh*

Was hoping to at least raise a small brood to 'safety net' the population... haizz...

Worst case scenario, if a male Cap Lopez is nowhere in sight is... drop in a Gold or Orange AUS to see which color phenotype is dominant. Sorry orh, their off-springs will not be available for distribution, at least not after I'm certain there are no fertility/sterility issues.

*sigh*... that's one sure-fire way of losing population codes!!!
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

What happened to the rest of the australe? Population codes or not, I still think both the chocolate and the orange variants are pretty.

...And oh, congratulations for the oyo, at least there're chances you might have a breeding pair of this not-so-common Aphyosemion.
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 6th Dec 2012 at 01:02.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The rest of the aquarium strain AUS are doing fine although this batch seems bloody stingy with their spawn... a few eggs to negligible to none!! Also, I've introduced my nicest and most robust Orange AUS male to the 3 Cap Lopez females and that's only in hope of getting some nice Chocolate AUS. Not, I repeat NOT, my preferred solution but for now, it's better than flushing the coded females down the loo (A pity, after having raised them to adulthood).

Not so sure now about the Aphyosemion Oyo... I'm back to 3 males, I think. Have to check but there are too many things to do and so little time.

Fortunately, the only silver lining through this glum wet season is when GC unker told me a dominant male Terranatos Dolichopterus has taken stake in a peat filled container. A second breeding container sounds like a damn fine idea!! Hope he has enough time to prepare & feed them live food though (since the GC Christmas sale is now on) so that he can collect some eggs and I can recoup part of the princely sum paid for these 2 pairs. [you know, X'mas & the coming CNY are always the most stressful and 'expensive' period]
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast