Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Hi everyone

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    For such a small tank, you need to get a No. 2 HOF filter. If it is too strong, it will cause too much water disturbance, which will stress your fish highly with too much moving current. You can adjust the water flow. But the best way is to fill the water up to the level which will remove the 'waterfall'. If you let the water drop into the tank in a stream, it will cause too much vertical current. The level I recommend is best for oxygenation since the water surface will be disturbed a lot but with minimum disturbance to deeper levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChromiumX View Post
    my fish tank is just only 30cm by 20cm
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i am now using the OF Super Mini Hang-On Filter, but is it enough to filter the entire tank??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

No problem. Just do not overfeed the fish. Feeding fish is fun, but having a healthy tank is more fun.
    i am now using the OF Super Mini Hang-On Filter, but is it enough to filter the entire tank??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

But the OF HOF does not seem to be able to filter the whole tank, and 1 side of the cotton seem to be red in colour and should i get a air pump? how much would 1 cost about
    Last edited by ChromiumX; 11th May 2012 at 19:04.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Can you snap a picture of your tank and filter and show it here?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Tetra...you are the wise grasshopper!!!

I am getting ready to set up my new 20gal. Do you think adding elements from the old tank will help suffice as the biological filter? Could I use my old filter system in the new tank or is this a no no? Use half the water and do a solute combine? I understand the whole cycling a new aquarium but this is for existing fish? Bah!! I hate being a newbie!!! Yes. Sweet Cheeks was looking rough in that picture. It was the second day after being changed from the dirty cold tank that he had been in. I think he looks much healthier now. I must catch a new picture of him soon!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you are only using the new bigger tank for your existing fish, you can transfer all the water, the whole filter, and the other items to the new tank and add good water to top it up. Meanwhile your fish must be put in a container filled with the same water and then transferred as soon as you have transferred the water over.

You have to do it QUICKLY though, so as to ensure the beneficial bacteria inside the filter don't die during the change-over. Don't dismantle the filter when you transfer it over to the new tank, making sure the existing water remains in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
    Tetra...you are the wise grasshopper!!!

I am getting ready to set up my new 20gal. Do you think adding elements from the old tank will help suffice as the biological filter? Could I use my old filter system in the new tank or is this a no no? Use half the water and do a solute combine? I understand the whole cycling a new aquarium but this is for existing fish? Bah!! I hate being a newbie!!! Yes. Sweet Cheeks was looking rough in that picture. It was the second day after being changed from the dirty cold tank that he had been in. I think he looks much healthier now. I must catch a new picture of him soon!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    Alright!!! Yes! Sounds fabulous! I will set it up! Do you think I should let the water set for more than 24 hours in the tank first? Maybe 2-3 days? I can't wait to give him so much more room to swim! I am also excited to get him a floating log for him to rest in atop the water! Right now his favorite places are perched next to the heater or under the hanging filter!!! I have an exercise mirror for him that he likes to go to "see" other fish...I remove it so he doesn't get too worn out!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you are using the same water from the old tank and topped up the new tank with good water, you can immediately put the fish into the new tank. Like I said, you must do all those things quickly in order not to kill the bacteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Turpentine View Post
    Alright!!! Yes! Sounds fabulous! I will set it up! Do you think I should let the water set for more than 24 hours in the tank first? Maybe 2-3 days? I can't wait to give him so much more room to swim! I am also excited to get him a floating log for him to rest in atop the water! Right now his favorite places are perched next to the heater or under the hanging filter!!! I have an exercise mirror for him that he likes to go to "see" other fish...I remove it so he doesn't get too worn out!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That filter you have is sufficient for your tank. The only problem is your water is not cycled yet. So you should not put any fish in it yet. You should google under "how to set up an aquarium" or "aquarium cycling" to find out more about it.

An air pump is not required if you have a filter.

But the OF HOF does not seem to be able to filter the whole tank, and 1 side of the cotton seem to be red in colour and should i get a air pump? how much would 1 cost about

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

is there any way to speed up the aqurium cycling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i think i know the reason why is the water so cloudy, last time i use sand instead of pebbles and the water is much more clearer than now, or should i wash those again?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Your Ribbon Dracaena aka Lucky Bamboo is land plant. Before it dies take it out...
    Reference: http://www.onlineplantguide.com/Plan...x?Plant_id=804
    AQ post: http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...lant-ID-thanks!

Fish-less cycling: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishless_cycling

IMO, depends on hobbyist. I always "seed" some guck (and BB of course!) from existing filters and add fish (yes fish only, NEVER shrimp) within the week. You can get this FREE lol.. but then all my tanks have plants...

Read this post
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...shless-cycling
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so should i use sand?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

so should i use sand?
    Substrate choice is totally up to you.
    but you still need cycle with some item that gives ammonia to start the process.

btw, there is this product call Badun (a blue box) which i actually do not know whats inside. but it helped to clear cloudy water as i also hate cloudy water. Perhaps some clever member will Google and tell us?

Got some forum members use items that aid cycling. EG: BT9, Nutrafin Cycle .... ect...
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Before one does any 'speeding up' it is better to first take the normal route to travel, ie. to wait for the period of time in order for one to learn what the process is about. The are many variables, so it is not so straight forward as simply 'speeding it up'. Before one has learned the subtleties of water conditions, it is much better to first get a grasp of basic things. I for one do not like to use any chemicals to hasten the cycling process,as there will be unknowns to be encountered in the process.
    is there any way to speed up the aqurium cycling

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

overnight the water suddenly became much more clearer this morning

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You need to top up the water as it evaporates. The amount of top up is minimal, so it will not affect the water clarity much.

But if you add a big amount of water, it may turn cloudy again due to the biological imbalance. Your water should become clearer as the days pass.
    overnight the water suddenly became much more clearer this morning

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i only change 1litre of water everyday

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12