Country
    Singapore

[HELP] Weird tank parameters after ~2weeks into fishless cycling

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros, am new here btw.

Just some info, i'm currently using a 2 ft tank, 83litres or about 20 gallons with OHF and a dolphin pump, just a very normal n simple set-up i got from my in-law

i started with some fishes initially to cycle my new tank, but after they died, i just left my tank as it is. I had also added this "general aid" solution which makes the whole tank turns pale green after adding, i addded this becos of very severe finrot of the fishes.

Have added in some BB almost daily (should i stop..?) and here's my readings after ~2 weeks:

Ammonia: 0.5
    nitrite: 5
    Nitrate: 10

What is wrong here...? Does the general aid solution have anything to do with my weird readings...? I did a WC change recently and the color of my water is not as green as before.

Have been testing the parameters and cant seem to bring down ammonia and nitrite...but funny thing is there is nitrate!

I have some normal substrate, a piece of driftwood and two plastic plants.

EDIT: JUST TO ADD, i have been adding ammonium bicarbonate since e day i went fishless (2-3 days already), and adding it till my ammonia level is around 4ppm, but the funny thing is it never went down to zero before...does this means that my BB are not matured yet...?

Pls do help i really do wanna get my puffers in asap

thanks!!
    Last edited by kotaaro; 15th May 2012 at 14:05. Reason: added some more info

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [HELP] Weird tank parameters after ~2weeks into fishless cycling

whats inside the OHF?
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

erm im fairly new to this so pardon me if im not using ther correct terms.

inside the OHF i have this blue fliter sponge, with these rough/coarse gravels with a hole in the middle, and 5 pieces of these "balls" with contours which is used to trap more BB i suppose?

Btw im using API Freshwater Master Test Kit to test my water parameters.

Thanks for the prompt reply bro. really appreciate it.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

stop adding things into the tank and let it cycle on itself.

good luck
    CRS - CRazy about Shrimps
    - Alan Phang -

You can't explain it simply, you don't understand it (well enough )..." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

really..? So im on the right track..?! So i just let e tank run for a few more days?

btw how often should i perform a test in the water parameters? 1 week once? 3 days once?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro,did you add in anti chlorine?or any water conditioner? did you age the water prior adding into aquarium?

Chlorine in tap water alone will cause death.

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi wongce, yes i have alwaz added anto-chlorine to my water prior to WC. Yes i age my water as well.

Thing is, im using this $1 Ocean Free Anti-chlorine and i don't think it is doing it job properly...

Been reading up and realised that ppl have been recommending SeaChem Prime?

Is that expensive btw?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From my experience, OF is ok,Seachem prime works ok too, price about 10+ times of common OF anti chlorine with some perks like less amount used,stated converting ammonia to less toxic substance..

I got both, but as last time OF out of stock in my neighbourhood lfs.

There is no need to put in general aid if there is nothing wrong.

What is your substrate?? A picture will really help a lot for the seniors here to help you out...

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the info

my substrates are just normal stones/rocks/pebbles that i got from my in-law.

a bunch of those, if worth mentioning, are actually "coloured" small white stones that have faded colorings, wonder if my puffers go bite on those would anything happen to them...?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Bro,did u wash the pebbles properly?maybe there is some poisonous residue??i think u better soak the pebbles/everything that is second hand in hot water. Then flush with cold water for few times but Do not put plastic or anything that will melt in hot water.. Some even resort to disinfect stuff with low amount of bleech just in case...

I used to have those coloured pebbles too,a bit of headache as their coloured skin tends to peel off after sometime...its better to use real sand or glass marbles/pebbles which are inert. Just my opinion though...

Link to my Blog

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If the colored pebbles are coated in a lead-based paint, your puffers may die from poisoning. In puffer tanks you don't need a lot of gravel. The use of coral sand or something similar is more than enough. Remove the colored stuff and only keep the natural stuff in the tank.

Do not use the General Aid any more. If it stains your water green it probably contains malachite green, which is capable of staining the silicone joints a pale green color. Since you have no fish in the tank, adding any sort of medication defeats the purpose. Like what Alan says, let it cycle on its own. It will reach the full cycle soon enough. You don't have to test the water every day. Once a week will do.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

sorry for this late reply.

hmm ok i shall remove the coloured stones then.

The general aid was added while my fishes were still alive, but since they aren't now i just let it be. But i have made a 50% WC after they died to bring down the concentration of the general aid.

Right now my tank has this light hue of green, the general aid is also from Ocean Free, the bottle states 2 capful but i only did 1 because of the colour..would that affect my cycling..?

I juz did a check on my water paramaters ytd nite:

Ammonia: 1-2 ppm

Nitrite: 5ppm

Nitrate: 10-20ppm

Ammonia dropped back to 1-2ppm as i have added ammonium bicarb the previous night to about 4ppm.

I will be adding ammonium bicarb everyday i suppose until my nitrite level drops?

Thing is, my nitrite level has ALWAZ been this high...am i doing anything wrong...? Or should i just wait patiently...?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

just to add, i have only a thin layer of substrate for my puffer, only about 1cm at most, all are stones, would it be better if they were sand instead? Or is this fine? I'm only laying a thin layer of the stones i have now to cover as much area as possible.

Thing is, if im considering sand in the future, how do i add them in....? During WC?

Do let me know whether my current substrate is fine, if it is i will juz leave it as it is. And also to my qns above this post.

Thanks alot!!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

bro you still don't get it you can stop adding the bicarbonate already just let the tank contiune to cycle. Are you going to load your tank with 10-20 pc of puffer? if not just let the tank cycle with the current BB it will eventually reach the point of zero. By doing that adding of the bicarbonate you are not helping to build BB but merely restarting your cycling.......

Like mod Stormhawk say better remove those stones or pebbles or whatever. Just lay some coral sands or gravel will do. Also do remove those plastic plants

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ahhh thnx for the reply! no i'm only going for ard 2-3 puffers max. i tot i have to add bicarb every now n then...

Ok thanks, i will remove my plastic plants and the coloured stones. Do i also need to remove the DW i have in the tank right now?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

LOL! No need to add anything. Just wait. Good move in removing the stones.

Anyway, your reading of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings; except for nitrite looks okay I think. Trying to achieve 0? Reminds me of my 2nd week test. Ammonia was okay, nitrite spiked, nitrate below 10ppm Nitrate is good for your plants actually. My last test on my tank reading was 0.25 - 0.5 for ammonia and nitrite. 10-20 for nitrate. It's all good.

PS: Becareful of the sms lingo. Some Moderators here bites or they let lose their Demon Hunters on you. LOL.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ahh ok i will take note of that lingo thanks!

Yes im trying to achieve zero on both ammonia and nitrite (but i'm having a hard time doing that!!! )

btw just to add, i removed most of the coloured stones and my plastic plants n DW ytd, so tank is now empty with only the natural stones in it.

Thing is, i notice my tank water is now a little brownish and greenish, but i don't see any algae or whatsoever.

Is my tank okay...? I have not tested the parameters yet, going to wait till this week. Can i still carry on the cycling with this water condition?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I agree with this. It is very common for beginners to be eager to buy a lot of chemicals at the beginnning of their hobby. I think that is the biggest mistake. Chemicals are only good when one is reasonably experienced or already advanced. If it is just starting off in the hobby, it is best to avoid any chemicals, though the tempation is high when one sees the glorious array of chemicals on the shelves.
    Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    stop adding things into the tank and let it cycle on itself.

good luck
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do you have plant in the tank ?
    Some surface floating plant or just dump in some cheap stem plants in the water and with the light on will help, and let nature take its course.
    And the plant is cheaper than the chemical : )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

i do not have live plants in it. Only two plastic plants which i took them out ytd, hoping for a more successful cycling process.

Btw, if i were to get life plants (they seriously look much nicer than the plastic ones), which one should i go for?

Juz to add, i will be converting my FW to low end BW for my puffers.

Do le advise. thanks!

Wow tis forum is great! i'm actually getting lotsa response compared to others!!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast