Images
    Country
    Singapore

LFS reluctant to sell test kit?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    About 2 - 3 weeks ago, while my tank was cycling, I went to two different LFS to buy ammonia, nitrite, nitrate test kits.
    Surprisingly, they were very reluctant to sell.
    Kept trying to convince me that it's not necessary and a waste of money.

Isn't that strange?
    I was confused.

At the first place, I didn't argue. So didn't buy.
    At the second place, I just insisted and bought.

Have any of you faced this before?

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: LFS reluctant to sell test kit?

Hi Yvonne, its rare to hear that... haha i thought they are very glad to sell stuff...

For my case, i only have Ammonia and Nitrate test kits as i no2 was out of stock during that time. IMHO, cycling of tank is very important for livestock... if you are keeping shrimps, the best is to get all the ammonia, No2,No3 to be zero to play safe as they are a lot more sensitive compared to fish.

I just keep hardy shrimps and some fish, so far so good....

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Exactly! I want to buy something from your shop, and you don't want to sell?

Not only that... both the shops said that I was wasting my time with my fishless cycling, and that I could have added fish earlier. Said that my tank was ready.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

where are this shop? in the west? all this test kits have shelf life wonder why they want to hold it up for. Mind disclosing the area you got?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Both shops are in the east.
    (Not very, very east.)

The only possibility I can fathom is that they wanted me to start stocking my tank and buy fish from them.
    But if I buy a bunch of test kits, it would be more expensive than cheap fish.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Guess some don't see the point of measuring the nitrate levels. Correct me if I am wrong, but you probably won't get insane levels of nitrates when you start the tank. And besides, you can always curb the levels with plants like frogbits, hornworts, etc.
    Need something to scratch that itchy hand of mine.

Don't act smart. Be smart!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, not worried about nitrates.
    But I wanted to monitor ammonia and nitrite levels during the cycle.
    And I want to be able to check the levels anytime, even after the tank's established.
    Also thought of testing ph (at that time, still hadn't decided what fish/shrimp/lobster to get).

Just good to have these available.
    I'd thrown out my old ones because I wasn't sure if they were still effectice/accurate.
    Just surprised and how hard it was to buy new ones.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

bro why dun you juz whack a Master test kit? I got mine, API brand, inclusive of pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Buying juz ammonia, nitrite n nitrate seperately would already cost me almost the same as what i paid for my master test kit..

go for master test kit if u can, more worth it imo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, I was looking for either a all-in-one test kit or individual.
    Didn't really matter to me.
    But they just didn't want to sell!!! It was ridiculous.

And I didn't want a long discussion. Just want to go in, take, pay and leave.
    End up having to justify my cycling.
    Irritating.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yvonne,my friend got himself a tank of dead gold fish due to same advise. The traditional style lfs even tell him there is no need to wash sand, no need to add anti chlorine, just add water and add fish...Plug in air pump tah dah... A tank of dead gold fish after 3 days...My friend's kid was devestated by the deaths..i helped him to set up properly and no problem so far.

Some lfs just employ workers to sell fish and they are not hobbyist. However,i wish to add that, there is no such thing as cycling the tank ten years back,as long add anti chlorine, people can keep all type of fish.

However since then a lot of research has been done that cycling process is essential for having a safer environment to add fish/shrimps and minimise possible deaths. Thus,IMHO,i believe its always better to play safe especially when lives are at stake...

Maybe the lfs you encounter is more towards traditional style...haha

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    So far. No lfs said no to test kits for me. But check if I use, else try to get me I buy and never mention cycling.

Btw, I normally just grab what I want. Go counter pay, end of story.

Personally, I do not like asking unless I know the sales person.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Never had an issue with LFS not wanting to sell me test kits!

BUT... to a certain extent... test kits are a waste of money. Usually only test at the beginning of cycling. Once tank is established, should be fine and no need to test again. Test kits can test >100 times and you probably only need it for like 10 times?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi there,

The API all in one test kit in terms of value, one should get that instead of individual purchase. Saw that at Polyart. Package nicely.

As for LFS telling you no need to buy test kit is very strange. That cost roughly between $10 to $25 bucks if I am not wrong. Did they try selling you fauna? And if so of what value?

As some member mentioned, I know what I want, I just go in, grab, pay and then home sweet home. So far only 2-3 lfs I've been to, we chat.

I have not encounter lfs telling me can add fish straight away. No need anti chlorine etc. If I happened to come across, I will challenge. Record it down. If fish die, compensate everything including my loss and suffering. =P My heart pain okay see dead fish.

Anyway, be careful. Cycling a tank is important. You are about 75-80 percent there.

Having a test kit assures you. I let my niece or little nephew be a chemist once a while and let them test it. So it can be fun for them watching the colour change.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They did try to sell me fauna. All sorts. I was put off by the numbers they said I could stock in my tank, because it would definitely be overcrowded.

Yes, my cycling went well because I got some media from an established tank to seed my own.
    That really helps.

I agree, it IS nice to involve the children.
    My kids help with water changes, feeding, testing...

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

You can try online to order the test kits. No questions ask (hmm...maybe not....some particulars like name, address...etc during payment, if you are to buy) and will deliver to your place.
    ~~Steven ~~
    Another Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    2ft Tank ~~~Terappin Moonlight Gourami~~~
    4ft Tank ~~~Oto Nerite Snail Platy Zebra Danio Glass Bloodfin Cardinal Tetra Albino Cory Khuli Weather Loach Rainbow Shark~~~

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, I think I must simply not chat with the salespeople at the shops.
    The thing is, being inexperienced, I assume I can learn something from the "professionals" there.

Thanks for the online buying suggestion. Minimize annoying conversations.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by xXXXx13 View Post
    You can try online to order the test kits. No questions ask (hmm...maybe not....some particulars like name, address...etc during payment, if you are to buy) and will deliver to your place.
    Heya bro,

Actually that is not a bad idea at all. Especially items that you need to buy in bulk. Like when you are setting up a new tank. Carrying 3 to 5 bags of 9L soil is not a pretty sight; at least for people like me that don't own a car.

But I find it strange that some LFS are still doing this. It's a difficult business I admit. Everyone has to survive. Understandable that they need to push their products out but to mislead the consumer is just not right. Rarely see LFS actually pushing their products. You ask for a product, they show you where it is. If they don't have it, they tell you straight and ask if you are willing to try an alternative.

If the staff know their product well, they should advice new hobbyist on what to do; the proper way. This builds trust and confidence between consumer and the LFS.

Of course, if consumer comes into a shop asking discounts for every darn item, it frustrates the LFS. Nothing wrong in asking for discount but I've seen people pushing way too far for it.

PS: Actually, Yvonne there are some LFS that I know of that have really experience staffs. Real hobbyist and really care about the hobby. I shall not name them but as you explore the LFS here, you'll find them.
    Last edited by VSGenesis; 16th May 2012 at 21:35.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Then what is the purpose of stocking a particular range of products and not selling it? Are they open for business or are they open as a form of attraction. This is very strange. Aren't lifestock and their related consumables suppose to go hand in hand?
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Could it be that they see that you are a lady therefore they think that you are not serious in the hobby and therefore just to push you some fish and fauna?

Sorry I maybe wrong cause i know nowa day a lot of lady are into serious fish keeping and it is a good trend.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sis, maybe you might want to alert the members on the ship and we will be more careful when dealing with the sales people in the shop. I have a set of ammonia and nitrite test kit if you need to use, you can have it.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast