Country
    Singapore

ID weird fresh-water-coral-like thingy

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,
    I recently found these weird coral like things sticking on my glass wall as well as on some leaves. They are mostly concentrated in 2 clusters on the wall. They are on average about 0.5cm long, and apparently attach themselves with thin stalks. They're all white and each have a few long feelers that sway in the water. Some of the longer stalks branch out into more stalks, each with its own feelers at the ends. When I poke the feelers with a chopstick, they shrink back into the stalk.

What are they???
    Sorry, but I have no camera to take pictures

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    These are Hydra - freshwater relatives of corals and sea anemones. They will appear sporadically in tanks but do no harm unless you have small fry. Stop feeding your fish for a couple of days and they will eat the hydra instead.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have baby cherry shrimp just hatched in both shrimp-shape and larvae stage, are they vulnerable?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i would guess newly free-swimming shrimp fry will be fair game..... my books recommend that a 0.5% salt solution be maintained in the tank for about a week to whack the hydra...... but I suspect that if you could simply stop feeding for a few days and let the adult fish/shrimp handle them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    okay, thanks for your help. I scrapped them off already, but then I read that even small bits of polyps can survive and recover, so hopefully the adult shrimps will makan the remaining bits soon.
    Oh, the rare old Whale, mid storm and gale. In his ocean home will be. A giant in might, where might is right. And King of the boundless sea.