Thread: Cardinal tetra disease?

Feedback Score
    Images

Cardinal tetra disease?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all, need some help here. Recently after I introduced 2x otto, 1 of them die after few days, the other one doing ok. I supposed it was unhealthy when I bought it. I did acclimated as usual. Meanwhile, over past few days, cardinal tetra dying one by one. They were introduced 1month ago. Suddenly see it at the bottom of my tank, there's no sign or symptoms.

Today manage to capture one dwelling at the bottom and isolated. The eyes turned white and pop up. Please advise what's wrong with it. Could it be disease from the otto? How can I try to treat it? Thanks.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/w...227_211939.jpg

http://s735.photobucket.com/user/ghc...12015.mp4.html

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Cardinal tetra disease?

What is your water parameters? Temperature? Planted? And what filtration are you using?

With only picture, it is hard for the pros to guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images

I don't use any test kit, but it is well.cycled. Room temperature, around 29-30C. Canister 1500lph, for 130liters tank.

Sent from my HUAWEI KII-L22 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The length and breathe of the tank? And what is your water change regime?

Ps: how do u know your tank is well cycled?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images

Hi genki, is a 2ft tall tank, 60 length, 45 breadth, 60 height. I have been running the tank for few months and all fishes are ok. Angel fish even spawned, so I think it is cycled.

Feedback Score
    Images

Weekly 30-50% water change.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, without test kit measurements its difficult for anyone here to narrow down the causes... for all we know there could have been periods of ammonia or nitrite spikes in the tank which affected the weaker fishes (these fluctuations still happen in cycled tanks, could be due to waste accumulation over time, drop in filter efficiency, sudden changes in parameters from larger water changes etc). Running a tank for a few months doesn't guarantee a tank is fully cycled or will not go through another cycle.

Stronger larger fishes may not exhibit visible symptoms as quickly (though it may still pop up later if conditions continue deteriorating), so you may only see the weaker smaller fishes get affected first.

If you observe fishes starting to die frequently over a short period of time and exhibit noticeable signs of problems (like pop eye, which is usually triggered by infections due to adverse water conditions), then its definitely an indication to check parameters to narrow down the possible causes, quickly find the issue and solve it properly, otherwise you will just be guessing all the way and maybe doing lots of things which may or may not actually help the situation.
    :: Urban Aquaria ::
    www.urbanaquaria.com

Feedback Score
    Images

That's possible, I'm feeding a bit more recently. I will continue to monitor....thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by gimhchng View Post
    That's possible, I'm feeding a bit more recently. I will continue to monitor....thanks

Try to feed it some occasional live food. But avoid Tubifex worms, as it may contain unhealthy organisms. I catch fruitflies for my fish and they love it. That's the only live food I give my fishes, including the goldfish, but of course for goldfish, fruitflies are only tiny snack bites.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When was the last time you change the filter wool in the canister? Sometimes alot of organics trapped in the filter wool will affect water conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Images

Oops, forgot to reply tetrakid. CEO at home phobia with insect and worms, so difficult to feed live food...tried Ocean Free freeze dried blood worm, ok initially but it turns smelly and powdery within a month or two, so throw away...Now only feed flakes food.

Feedback Score
    Images

I reset my tank back in October last year, and added a Sunsun prefilter, I wash the prefilter every 2 weeks, didn't touch the main canister...never change the filter wool or sponge so far...

I highly suspect it's due to the Otto I introduced that time....everything ok since the last casualty

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Great. Sounds like under control!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk