Just happen to find some time, reviewing AQ website, I'm glad to realise about AQ stance in environmental conservation, so would like to bring this new awareness in relation to photographic art, and gives a wider perspective and genre as a visual communicator. Do you know that:
  • Ansel Adams, is the first to make photography an art?
  • Due to his outstanding artworks, has made him one of the most highly respected person in photographic history?
  • Many master and successful photographers till now, hold high regard and inspiration for him?
  • He's one of the most outstanding nature conservationist during his time?
  • He's used his power and knowledge of visual communication to influence the public, and earned great respect from the governments?
If not, take a brief tour to his life and works. Many highly successful landscape/nature photographer in our time whom are inspired by him includes Galen Rowell, William Neil. Take a look at their website to have a feel and inspiration.

Besides aesthetic and technical enjoyment, I hope this will help you add new meaning and perhaps, enrich your experience in your photographic exploration. Great photographers developed deep feelings and curiosity for their subjects, thus turning them outstanding. Eg. includes Takashi Amano(if you consider him), National Geographic photographers,...

Example. I've personally worked with some member of Nature Society some time ago. I compiled a stunning visual presentation of the photograhic shots of the Chek Jawa that was that time, destined for destruction and development. It was just about 2 weeks before they officially launched their development. I'm quite desperate that time, since government are so adamant despite several pleading from the public. Fortunately, I managed to communicate with the Director of the land authority to show such presentation. Not long in a week time, they announce their decision to preserve this as marine park. And the whole group of us were so happy about it.

Though my effort is insignificanct compared to the NSS member passion, but sometimes it's the power of your skills, as a visual communicator(photographic art/or any form of visual art) that can move people heart deeply, and influence their thinking. Ansel Adams has done it, just like the rest of the outstanding photographer.

So the next time when you're pressing the shutter, be emotionally connected to your subject. It is what they feel and think that make them great, not what they know technically. Who knows one day, your work might turn up useful?