Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Pipe Fishes

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Saw some Pipe Fishes for sale at $18 each at Eco Culture. The fish look just like those found in saltwater type. Very tempted to get it. Anyone kept this fish before?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    there are freshwater (actually brackish) pipefishes as well. however, you need a constant supply of minute live food (daphnia, mysis shrimp, etc) to keep them surviving.... the ones at Eco are very small..... probably the best solution is to keep them in an establish tank with plenty of microfauna amongst the plants and mosses.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    They are at least 11-13cm long and still consider small? How big or long can they grow? So it's not suitable for a planted tank since they are may not do well in freshwater? I tried searching the web but all I get are references to the saltwater types.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yah, my algae-infested hairgrass used to be excellent.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    even at that size, their mouths are hardly big enough to eat anything larger than daphnia.... and as far as i know, they only accept live food... I have seen freshwater pipefish over a foot long in public aquaria, and these are kept in tanks with a constant supply of brine shrimp/mysis. (see pic below)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    you got to understand their body is designed to be VERY long, so 10 cm is nothing. The ones I had used to be so long that I managed to cut one of their tail while trimming the hairgrass, even though I could see the head quite a distance away!

budak, actually when they open their mouths it could be quite big, mine managed to swallow the smaller adult brine shrimps.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yep, the fish look like the picture above but they are more like white in colour.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I once bought a pipefish from Long Hu 2 years back. Around 15 cm and it takes small fish already. But I still feed it Brine Shrimp. I kept it in my brackish water tank. And it cost me $5

I saw some yesterday at AMK ave 3's aquarium. The aquarium is in a market. But don't the block number. They have pretty small and cute ones. Around 2 inches plus
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:6e7cc7ae7b="budak"]even at that size, their mouths are hardly big enough to eat anything larger than daphnia.... and as far as i know, they only accept live food... I have seen freshwater pipefish over a foot long in public aquaria, and these are kept in tanks with a constant supply of brine shrimp/mysis. (see pic below)

[/quote:6e7cc7ae7b]

Budak's intended pic:

koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Got their sciencific name: DORYICHTHYS MARTENSII

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I had one some years back. Trust me, I will clean up all your shrimps (as big as adult malayan shrimps) in no time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But it look so thin to me, can swallow a shrimp?