Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oryzias fry!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Finally, some fry from my Oryzias "woworae". I say "woworae" because I think the adults may not be true woworae. There are 2 woworae in the hobby, one of which is not yet described at the moment. In any case, here is the picture of 1 of 2 fry I found in my community tank:

It was a pain just to focus on this tiny fella with a regular digital camera. I think I got lucky with this shot.

The fry is about 8mm in length, but with a very small mouth. I left the 2 babies in a L size Satellite box with 2 cherry shrimp for company. So far so good. Not sure what they're eating but their bellies are always full. Hopefully they'll be able to take Moina or BBS soon.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Oryzias fry!

Congrats Stormhawk. I read that the parent is only about 2.5-3cm and the fry is even smaller.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Aqua. The adults are roughly 4 cm in length. The males turn a beautiful dark hue in a planted tank and constantly display to each other. Very difficult to take a picture because they are constantly on the move. Every day I see 1, 2 or all 3 females in my group of 6 adults carrying eggs. No wonder Ron and Shi Xuan says these guys breed like rabbits.

So far, these are the only 2 fry I spotted. One appeared in the Satellite by accident when moved some floaters from the main tank. It probably hatched when I placed the floaters in the box. I had to use a turkey baster to get the other one out of the tank, otherwise it would have been lunch for the other fish.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

JY, the fry are very tiny and refuse to take bbs right from the start. I simply put the whole lot of fry in a green water tub and leave them there until they are slight larger.
    They are easy to breed fishes. A pair can easily produce a lot of eggs if kept in good condition.

Anyway, where did you get them from?
    Currently keeping large predatory fish 🐟

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

From the group in GC's tanks. I bought a group of 6, 3M/3F. They're spawning literally every day but I never find eggs deposited in the mop. Probably in the plants because I caught 2 more fry earlier. They hug the water surface so it was easy to spot them. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more fry appearing over the next few days.

Lost one of the fry when it got trapped in the overflow from the Satellite box. Anyway, got 3 little babies in the box right now. They're obviously eating something in there. In any event, the growth is slow. I should be trying vinegar eels tomorrow to see if there's a reaction.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Jian Yang: I noticed that once you put in the floating plants like frog bits and water lettuce into your tank, the spawning mop would lose its use in the sense that there would be one alpha male guarding the mop and the rest of the males would be out of the proximity of the mop, hence when the females are about to deposit their eggs, the males outside the mop would guide the females to nearby floaters and do their lovey dovey there, ignoring the alpha male. Therefore I can draw conclusion as to why the eggs are found mostly on the roots than in the mop. Remove the floating plants and you can make your money worth for the mop.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The males are not even guarding the mop. The females ignore it altogether and go straight for the plants. The only way for me to see eggs on the mop is like what you said, remove every single plant. Actually I don't mind it. No point having so many fry. Seeing these few survive the early days in my community tank is already priceless by itself.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Create the numbers for their next generation. But I guess the only thing lacking in these fishes is the vibrancy of their coloration.

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JianYang, these buggers spawn as if the world ends tomorrow and I gave up trying to have them stop breeding. The "woworae" are growing-out with a small group of Pseudomugil ivantsoffi plus what I suspect to be Pseudomugil sp. 'Red Neon' fry (or maybe Ps. gertrudae... I really don't remember).

I observed that "woworae" growth rate is faster (of the three), so beware of peer predation (much like sibling predation in Pseudepiplatys annulatus). The largest woworae fry is almost 2cm... should be ready for the frying pan soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    From the group in GC's tanks. I bought a group of 6, 3M/3F. They're spawning literally every day
    hmm... since when did GC uncle sell breeding groups??
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

This species is more vibrant than their relatives. I like how the males put on a dusky color when in breeding mood. The bluish iridescence is not very obvious on this fish, only showing when a light is shining directly on them.

Ron, there's an auction for Oryzias matanensis on Aquabid that might interest you. It should give the "woworae" a run for their money!

I found some info on how to tell the true woworae apart from the other undescribed species from Kendari.

blue flank pigmentation highly reflective in males (versus less-reflective in O. woworae); red pigmentation in the rear half of the body often present in males (vs. always absent); darker, more purplish spawning colouration in males (vs. paler and less purplish); red pigmentation on the lower jaw poorly-defined or absent (vs. always noticeably present); red pigmentation on the breast always absent (vs. always present); red pigmentation above the anal fin always absent in females (vs. always present); eyes pale blue-coloured (vs. intensely blue-coloured); blue patterning in the unpaired fins occasionally present (vs. always absent).
    From http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/oryzias-woworae/

From the information given, it seems the ones at GC are of intermediate form. The males fit the description for sp. Kendari, but the females fit the description for true woworae.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 24th May 2012 at 05:35.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

@Jian Yang: That is an interesting piece of discovery.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

JianYang, I'll let you figure this one out. The Oryzias was a nice filler, keeping me occupied when nothing was happening in the other tanks.

Oryzias matanensis looks interesting but I'm out of tank space and I'd rather concentrate on the Ps. ivantsoffi or 'Red Neon'.
    Ronnie Lee

SH,

Great news and good job!

The 3 oryzias woworae that I bought from Selestar 3 wks ago have all decided to take the leap of freedom and landed on my living floor in the middle of the night.

Not sure what happened, but my guess is the male Microrasbora Erythromicron chased them out of the tank. I got a mean one in my tank.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Microrasbora erythromicron are nasty little buggers as compared to their cousins the CPD. That's a pity charcaradon. You should drop by at Green Chapter and get a new batch. The ones in my tank are able to hold their own against the other fish in there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    You should drop by at Green Chapter and get a new batch
    GC uncle said that most livestock will be dispatched to customers' tanks by this weekend. If anyone is keen to buy woworae and Corydoras species, do it real fast (and I mean FAST!!) before they're ALL gone.

He asked to relay this message in case fellow members don't read merchants' updates... Green Chapter is moving and will be closed for the entire month of June.
    Ronnie Lee

Actually my CPDs in the tank are holding their ground. I like the Microrasbora Erythromicron but now I've kinda regretted because of their disposition. I am planning on adding few more CPD and brigittae to the tank. I'd love to get more OW, but I'll wait when I start a new tank. I am going to move pretty soon so I will wait until I am settled into the new place.

Anyone noticed the pricing of CPD going up? Is there anything in the fish trade that I don't know about and someone can shed a light on that? I was at Selestar 3 wks ago and the CPDs are going for $1.80 per piece. Six months ago, they were going for $0.60 - $1.00 depending on where you go. Anybody got any 411 on why the price for CPD rose dramatically?

Ron, where is GC moving to? Is the uncle offering discounts for dispatching? Haha...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by charcaradon megaldon View Post
    Anyone noticed the pricing of CPD going up?
    Supply and demand, my friend. I understand there's a shortage, seasonal perhaps, but many suppliers are unable to cope with orders. FWIW, when CPDs were first introduced into the hobby, prices were many time over what it cost these days.

Grapevine has it that GC is relocating to roomier premises but you really ought to check their site's updates. Didn't hear of any 'moving sale'.
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just discovered that the Oryzias do look exceptionally well in darker setups.