Country
    Singapore

Harvesting Killifish eggs

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Currently Keeping Fundulopanchax gardneri nigerianus "Innidere"
    and Aplocheilus lineatus. Eggs are mixed not sure are whose, so anxious to see which fries will they turn out to be?

Artificial breeding mop from GC

Manage to see eggs on the mop.

Harvested about 20+ eggs

The hatchery, as Stormhawk bro adviced, I've place some shrimplets inside.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Harvesting Killifish eggs

Now the waiting game begins, in the mean time, you got to either start culturing green water or prepare the live food for the fries.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I'm considering to feed live artemia or daphnia.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If these are either Fp. nigerianus fry or Aplocheilus fry, they will take BBS from birth given that fry of either species are somewhat large upon hatching, especially Aplocheilus. Typically, they should hatch within 2 weeks. Aplocheilus lineatus eggs are quite large and amber colored. I think you have a mix of both.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

They have hatched! It took about 1 week. Probably they were in the mob longer, but only realize later that the eggs were there.
    So far only spotted 2 fry, not sure the rest are fertilize?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Congratulations. Now the real fun begins. Please do regular updates of your fries' progress.

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

That's some good sized fry. From the head profile probably baby Fundulopanchax. Aplocheilus fry should have that shiny "spot" on the head when viewed from the top.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Wow congrats bro!

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks, shall slowly monitor their progress. Hopefully they will survive and grow faster.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What have you been feeding to your precious fries lately?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Zenith82, water-incubation for Fundulopanchax species is usually between 2-4 weeks @ 27ºC and non-viable eggs will either go white or become fuzz balls. Although shrimplets will help minimize fungus from spreading to other good eggs, your incubation container should be kept away from direct sun, somewhere cool with good ventilation.

If you inoculate the incubation water with infusoria and micro-organisms, the fry generally require little care or human intervention. However, it's good practice NOT to overfeed or allow water to go funky. Floating plants serve to maintain decent water quality and the fine roots will provide refuge from older fry's harassment and yes, sibling predation as well.

Sort and separate drastically different-sized juveniles for grow-out to larger tubs or mid-sized critter-keeper plastic tanks. When raised in groups, the feeding response will trigger them to consume crushed pellets or my favorite carnivore tablets. Easier to train them to dry feeds when young.

Small incremental water changes is good husbandry to avoid ammonia buildup and improve growth rate.

You're off to a good start. Congrats and do post updates when time allows.

...and ya... one more thing. The plural for fry is still FRY but you can up-size FRIES from McDonald's!!
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by RonWill View Post
    ...and ya... one more thing. The plural for fry is still FRY but you can up-size FRIES from McDonald's!!
    @RonWill: You may want to check it out on this link that I have attached. http://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the.../fish_fry.html. I am not going into a debate as to whether which term is more applicable. As long as the message is able to be conveyed without a second meaning, a tint of good humour into it would sounds just fine to me.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fry or fries it doesn't matter. I call them babies.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Fry or fries it doesn't matter. I call them babies.
    I am expecting my babies to hatch soon. Just received a parcel of killi eggs from overseas. Fingers crossed that I would have a bountiful harvest.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by SirBest View Post
    What have you been feeding to your precious fries lately?
    Yep, fed them with live artemia, can't finish I freeze them.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Zenith82, water-incubation for Fundulopanchax species is usually between 2-4 weeks @ 27ºC and non-viable eggs will either go white or become fuzz balls. Although shrimplets will help minimize fungus from spreading to other good eggs, your incubation container should be kept away from direct sun, somewhere cool with good ventilation.

If you inoculate the incubation water with infusoria and micro-organisms, the fry generally require little care or human intervention. However, it's good practice NOT to overfeed or allow water to go funky. Floating plants serve to maintain decent water quality and the fine roots will provide refuge from older fry's harassment and yes, sibling predation as well.

Sort and separate drastically different-sized juveniles for grow-out to larger tubs or mid-sized critter-keeper plastic tanks. When raised in groups, the feeding response will trigger them to consume crushed pellets or my favorite carnivore tablets. Easier to train them to dry feeds when young.

Small incremental water changes is good husbandry to avoid ammonia buildup and improve growth rate.

You're off to a good start. Congrats and do post updates when time allows.

Thanks for the informative write up! Thank you Uncle Ronnie! I want up-size my fish fry!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am not going into a debate as to whether which term is more applicable. As long as the message is able to be conveyed without a second meaning, a tint of good humour into it would sounds just fine to me.
    Constructive discussions pertaining to our hobby (even if it's very slightly off topic) but in this case, something that many of us like.... baby fishes!!! So yeah, it's still relevant.

I'm willing to stand corrected if current usage of the plural term for fry (baby fish) is FRY or FRIES. Time will change many things. Old geezers like me will just have to catch up. Take a lookie at this. It makes some sense to me and I suspect the reason for the confusion is whether fry is referred to as baby fish or fish as human food.

I am expecting my babies to hatch soon. Just received a parcel of killi eggs from overseas. Fingers crossed that I would have a bountiful harvest.
    So what's in the bag? How was it packed? Percentage or Viability of eggs received? If non-annuals, was there specifics regarding when to wet/dunk?
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So what's in the bag? How was it packed? Percentage or Viability of eggs received? If non-annuals, was there specifics regarding when to wet/dunk?
    I gotten myself the Elberti Strain from Kopongo. As for how it is packed, I find it rather interesting as he was using the sponge with scrubby pad which I assumed was soaked into some kind of peat extract since the color of the sponge is off brown coloration. As for the viability of the eggs and when it is to be wet, I just dumped the whole lot into green water as I saw how Green Chapter Uncle usually does when he is harvesting his killi eggs. What other things did I left out which you can surely enlightened me on? Should I introduce some shrimplets?