Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: just something to share about blue green algae.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: just something to share about blue green algae.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Yes, the classic pockets of smelly gases "pearling" away is a dead giveaway for BGA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

how much is a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and how should I inject to the affected area with plants ? Do i need to off the filter and do water change after putting in the h2o2 and is feeding as normal for fauna ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I suggest to siphon those area infected as much as possible, tun off the filter and do spot treatment on the area. Wait until no more bubble and top up that area with new soil. You can change water after that, the new soil should cloudy your water a bit.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

thanks shadow, it's hard to siphon the bga out as it stick to the jhg and it will pull out together. Someone earlier on this thread mentioned about the ocean free 0 zero algae remover and I saw it at polyart just now. I did a Google search and the reviews do give a positive comment. I am now thinking hard which method to use to get rid of these bga in my tank which are hydrogen peroxide direct dose to the affected area, ocean free 0 algae remover pour inside the water column or last resort is 3 days total blackout to the tank. Basing on the photos attached earlier, would appreciate some opinion.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Just remove the infected jhg. Since bga is bacteria, you can actually use antibiotic. I can't recall the antibiotic name, never use it. This hobby about growing plant noy killing algae . When the plant healthy, normally algae will stay away.

Also, sufficient water flow will help. What is you tank size and filter flowrate?
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

my tank is 322 with atman filter of flowrate of 1300 f/h and the rainbar is not long enough to reach the other end of my tank. is it better to add a powerhead at this side but will it affect the co2 dissolve in water.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

definitely BGA

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I sprayed mine with Hydrogen Peroxide & they (the algae) literally changed colour in front of my eyes:

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Unhappy Re: just something to share about blue green algae.

Quote Originally Posted by Navanod View Post
    Is there a feeling of satisfaction? Haha
    Huh? Not really. I still do not know the long term effect the H2O2 has on my topsoil & substrate, i.e. maybe next time no plants will grow on that region already?!

& to see the green tinge transform so rapidly into green blobs in front of my eyes, is a bit disturbing. I didn't remove them green blobs btw...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I've read that BGA comes as a result of lack of CO2 and nitrates. But i had been dosing nitrates almost everyday and blasting co2 as well, but BGA still occurs. Is there any other reasons?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Kuwait

Is the tank hit with any direct sunlight? Ammonia spikes can also cause BGA, are your parameters good?

Quote Originally Posted by Numbskull View Post
    I've read that BGA comes as a result of lack of CO2 and nitrates. But i had been dosing nitrates almost everyday and blasting co2 as well, but BGA still occurs. Is there any other reasons?
    Regards,
    Jalal K.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Water flow, need a good flow to distribute nitrate and CO2. Normally BGA grow in between glass and substrate/soil/sand because limited flow.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have read in another forum whereby beside using the blackout method and h202, someone dose the nitrogen solution inside and his bga were gone. Wonder if anyone here had tried this method.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Can you take a snap shot of your tank? I will & can have a better grasp of your situation

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi as requested. My hc used to cover the front nicely till invaded by hair algae and BGA. Now only clumps remain as i had removed most of it. I will replant other plants once i know the root cause. The photo is after i had done 80% Water change and remove most of the BGA. Spot treatments of hydrogen peroxide were done on the remaining spots. Some turns red while some turns white.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

ok bro.. i noticed that you should remove the algae after u dose h2o2 as leaving it to rot will result in more BGA..lol. anyway strange thing to note it I have another smaller tank in my room which is not on any form of CO2 and using just a random 15 watt energy saving bulb.. it used to have BGA in the substrate but after adding alot of hornworts and a small driftwood of flame moss i dun see it anymore.. didn;t do anything to the tank at all. btw its my endler/malay shrimp tank which is under very very very low maintenance and using one of those small external filters. water flow is also minimal..
    So i guess sometimes letting nature take its course may be the most effective method.. and just in case u guys are wondering. the tank with the BGA i mentioned has BGA again... ahahaha..
    What happened from what i noticed was, h202 dose.. kill off BGA, i filtered the water and did a water change, suddenly hair algae too over, manually removed that, change water, BGA appears.. fantastic..
    I will most probably strip it down and redo the whole thing again this weekend, all fauna have been moved to my other tank where they seem to be doing very well. half the plants have also been replanted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zerg66 View Post
    ok bro.. i noticed that you should remove the algae after u dose h2o2 as leaving it to rot will result in more BGA..lol. anyway strange thing to note it I have another smaller tank in my room which is not on any form of CO2 and using just a random 15 watt energy saving bulb.. it used to have BGA in the substrate but after adding alot of hornworts and a small driftwood of flame moss i dun see it anymore.. didn;t do anything to the tank at all. btw its my endler/malay shrimp tank which is under very very very low maintenance and using one of those small external filters. water flow is also minimal..
    So i guess sometimes letting nature take its course may be the most effective method.. and just in case u guys are wondering. the tank with the BGA i mentioned has BGA again... ahahaha..
    What happened from what i noticed was, h202 dose.. kill off BGA, i filtered the water and did a water change, suddenly hair algae too over, manually removed that, change water, BGA appears.. fantastic..
    I will most probably strip it down and redo the whole thing again this weekend, all fauna have been moved to my other tank where they seem to be doing very well. half the plants have also been replanted.
    Wah that means using h202 method is not so effective afterall since the bga come back again so fast, did you add in any powerhead to increase the water flow or tried the blackout method instead of stripping down and redo everything as the same bga may attack again anytime when the tank condition is not right.

I put in anti-algae solution over the weekends and guess what, I discovered some snails died and float on the water and some of my plants melted and some turn yellowish

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

All those chemical is only short term solution, unless you address what causing it, it will come back again.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BlessChwee View Post
    Wah that means using h202 method is not so effective afterall since the bga come back again so fast...as the same bga may attack again anytime when the tank condition is not right...
    In all fairness, all solutions will not be effective if balanced tank parameters are unable to be provided & sustained.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast