Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: just something to share about blue green algae.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: just something to share about blue green algae.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Numbskull, the tank is sparse. We cannot help you without planting sufficiently. I believe only the echinodorus tenellus/hairglass/? is growing. Unfortunately, they only cover 10% of your scape.

Is that Bolbitis in the rear? Bolbitis never 'grow'. :P

You've dosed nitrate and co2 almost everyday - but who eat? of course - the algae from all walks of life will come to life and help to consume : )

I love it when people post their tank picture. They are almost always lack of plants. So it become an anti-algae exercise when all forum friends talk about how to counter it. The solution is somewhat quite straightforward (get more plants)

This type of concept tank needs alot of compensation here and there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barmby View Post
    Numbskull, the tank is sparse. We cannot help you without planting sufficiently. I believe only the echinodorus tenellus/hairglass/? is growing. Unfortunately, they only cover 10% of your scape.

Is that Bolbitis in the rear? Bolbitis never 'grow'. :P

You've dosed nitrate and co2 almost everyday - but who eat? of course - the algae from all walks of life will come to life and help to consume : )

I love it when people post their tank picture. They are almost always lack of plants. So it become an anti-algae exercise when all forum friends talk about how to counter it. The solution is somewhat quite straightforward (get more plants)

This type of concept tank needs alot of compensation here and there.
    Yes I must agree with you and I planted only sparingly in the foreground with jhg instead of 1/2" apart as there are too much open substrate under the light that create all these unwanted algae problem. Additionally there is not enough waterflow at the other end of my tank and that is why the BGA are growing at this part

If I remembered correctly, the BGA started to take root after I dose the comprehensive flourish 3-4 times and probably I should have delayed in dosing until the foreground plants are spreaded.

But ... lesson learnt and gain some experience !

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BlessChwee View Post
    Wah that means using h202 method is not so effective afterall since the bga come back again so fast, did you add in any powerhead to increase the water flow or tried the blackout method instead of stripping down and redo everything as the same bga may attack again anytime when the tank condition is not right.

I put in anti-algae solution over the weekends and guess what, I discovered some snails died and float on the water and some of my plants melted and some turn yellowish
    hmm bro.. i think i can answer ur question in 2 parts... yes it is effective in killing the BGA u see.. but simply dosing h202 on the BGA we see and going back to happy mode where everything is nice and perfect in the world (something i am guilty of..hahaha) will not keep bga away for long..
    I suspect that even though I did water changes, i didn;t keep it up often enuf or remove all the dead/dying algae, plants. also didn;t clean my filter as advised by alot of threads here and elsewhere. currently have transplanted most plants to my other tank and this tank will be up for major renovation soon over the weekend.. thinking of converting it to a dwarf crayfish tank with little maintenance..lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

anyway just to share..this was what the tank looked like a just before stupid BGA suddenly set it.. damn sayang..kinda blame myself for not doing anything when i first saw some of the slime on the sand.. happened before but it used to go away on its own previously...guess not always lucky..we fall so we can learn to pick ourselves up again..hahaha....
    just in case anyone wondering, fauna consisted of 1 male GBR, 3 female wild rams and 1 SAE, with some malayan shrimps

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

well I am getting mad at all these bga and I bought a powerhead from seaview yesterday and place it on the otherside of my tank and outlet facing towards the side and it push the water from the glass. After dosing the anti algae and plants melted and rot, I pulled out all of them and replaced with cabomba. I noticed that the Japanese hairgrass seem to be stagnant and not like bright green as before. is it also due to the anti algae solution that caused it to be like this.

As there are still lots of open soil exposed to the light, I am thinking to get one more pot of jhg and cover up these vacant area. As there are still bga slimy sheets on the substrate, can I just force the jhg into the soil or must the bga be totally get rid of. I am very scare of using any more chemical into my tank and thinking to try out the blackout method soon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

by the way, there is a stinch of fishy smell in my tank past 2 days and I checked but there are no dead fish inside my tank. Could it be the bba was killed by the anti algae solution and now restarting a bb bloom ?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

quite possible..but i;m not too sure.. what happened to me was that i had a sudden onset of bba growing, scrapped it off my plants and suddenly noticed BGA.. it could be coincidental that it happened this way though. and yeah.. anti algae solution usually give some sort of funny after effect..i suggest u remove the bga problem first before replanting otherwise u will be sibei sian.. perhaps some more experience bros here wanna share?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi, come across this and I think it is not those anti-algae solution but sort of anti-bacteria that kills the bga, anyone had tried this or something similiar ?

http://www.petstore.com/ps_viewitem....ontent=UL10020

Feedback Score
    -1 (33%)
    Country
    Singapore

yesterday I dose OF "0" Algae solution for the first time after my water change. Some of my tretas start to move to the water surface to breathe despite I turn on the air pump. Guess something must be wrong with the water. So i re-do the WC again and things back to normal. Does anyone has the same experience?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by polyho View Post
    yesterday I dose OF "0" Algae solution for the first time after my water change. Some of my tretas start to move to the water surface to breathe despite I turn on the air pump. Guess something must be wrong with the water. So i re-do the WC again and things back to normal. Does anyone has the same experience?
    Hi, are you still using the OF O algae and any effects on the BGA as I read that some people got success in getting rid of this bacteria.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234