Country
    Singapore

Pls recommend a sponge filter for 14 litre aquarium

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a new sponge filter to bring my old fish tank back to life.

I have stopped rearing fish for more than a decade and am planning to start this hobby again.

I am going to a local fish shop later to get a new filter. My preference is this type of sponge filter. I am not sure if there is a model that is suitable for a 14 litre aquarium though.

Sponge-fish-tank-filter-300x300.jpg

Does anyone have any recommedation to go for which brand of sponge filter (for a small sized aquarium)?

Thank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pls recommend a sponge filter for 14 litre aquarium

managed to find this thread after searching in this forum.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...=sponge+filter

it is close to what I want. looks like I need a separate pump to go with the sponge filter. I have thought a pump is integrated with the filter.

can we easily DIY such sponge filter (with a pump) or it's easier to buy from the shop?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

just came across this youtube video showing how to make the sponge filter with the air pump or powerhead.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=02LukH-muZs

I still have an old air pump. looks like I just need to get a sponge filter with the necessary tubes to hook it up.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    For a small tank like yours, that piece of sponge at the botton will occupy a lot of space.
    In all my nano tanks, I always use Hang-On filters.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    Hi,
    For a small tank like yours, that piece of sponge at the botton will occupy a lot of space.
    In all my nano tanks, I always use Hang-On filters.
    That's a good point and many thanks for the feedback.

Actually I have been using those hang-on filters in the past, and nvr tried a sponge filter before.

I have been researching on filters for the past few days and came to know such sponge filter and thought of giving it a try.

I will take note of your point and will compare the size with a hang over filter when I visit the aquarium shop later.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

by the way, what is a nano tank?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

These days, there are micro tanks and nano tanks, which are all small or miniature versions of huge aquariums.

But for tiny tanks, it is better to get proportionately tiny fish to keep in them. I am still on the lookout for such tiny fish. Hope someone here can recommend some.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14litre View Post
    by the way, what is a nano tank?
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tetrakid View Post
    These days, there are micro tanks and nano tanks, which are all small or miniature versions of huge aquariums.

But for tiny tanks, it is better to get proportionately tiny fish to keep in them. I am still on the lookout for such tiny fish. Hope someone here can recommend some.
    I see. Tiny tanks are interesting ideas, can put it on my office desk also. but weekend feeding will be a prob. I would like to know such tiny fishes also, can introduce it to my small tank to avoid over crowding.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I managed to find a small sponge filter last night and after much struggle in deciding to go for a hang-on filter or not, I have decided to give this sponge filter a try.

This is my current setup, a very simple one, one which can keep my son excited and kept still for a few moments.

34nnrx1.jpg

Initially it was very plain, so I took out my old artificial plant to enhance the look.
    but hor, still very dull leh.

In the aquarium shop, I also see them selling live crayfish, something that I have not tried before.
    So I thought of getting soil and a crayfish next. I will jump to the Freshwater Fauna section to ask some questions on this.