Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Female fish are weaker than her male counterpart?

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Female fish are weaker than her male counterpart?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    This is purely for discussion and it is my personal observation also. I notice that most of the time, it is the female fish that will died first before their male counterpart. In my case, I just lost the female kribs last week, then last time, I lost the caca female, agassizi female, and most of the time, I will lose the ram female before the male. I do keep guppies too and it is also the same occurrence. Are the female more vulnerable and susceptible to water parameters fluctuation or is it due to the gene issue or it is just my house fengshui that the female fishes are weaker?
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Female fish are weaker than her male counterpart?

Did you condition your females well enough?
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Typically, females will die before males since they have to expend a lot of energy just to produce eggs. There are times where females are full of eggs but are unable to spawn due to a lack of males and thus end up being egg-bound, especially if the stimulation from the male is a necessity for the eggs to be expelled during spawning. This usually results in their untimely death.

Without adequate cover in the tank they are subjected to abuse from the males in the form of fights or squabbles over food and territory. This is why some females end up looking very thin.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

After breeding the females, the next few days of reconditioning is crucial. I would usually set her on a course of live food.
    Hey Fishy!!! Your So Fine; Your So Fine; You Blow My Mind

Ongoing Food Cultures: Vinegar Eels; Grindal Worms; Microworms; and hopefully more