Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Setting up a new 4 ft tank

Feedback Score

Setting up a new 4 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone. I am new in AquaticQuotient.com Forum. I am planing to set up a new 4 ft tank soon. As I am very new to this, I need someone to help me to do the set up. Any members out there who is willing to take up the project, I will gladly pay him for his services. You can either email me at [email protected] OR sms me at 90021007 and we can discuss this further. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you need help because of lack of time (fairly understandable) or you feel at a loss?

A planted tank requires a fair amount of attention and care to maintain it beyond the initial setting up stage. I really think you would find it more rewarding and learn much more if you take some time to read about what is required to set up such tanks (the Aquatic FAQ section of the forum and the Articles section has some good info) instead of letting another person do everything for you.

Look through plant/fish catalogues (www.tropica.com/www.dennerle.de) and read some good books (Amano's Nature Aquarium series, and I esp. recommend the Barron's Series title called Aquarium Plants by Iners Schuermann, which is found in some bookstores, less than $20) to get an idea of what is possible, both technically and aesthetically.

Take your time to research and plan, and I wager you will find it a much more satisfying experience.

Feedback Score

Setting up a new 4 ft tank

Please dont get the wrong idea. I have been to this site for quite a month now. I have spent the last month, learning and buying from people that dont have much experience. I have obtain advice from LFS. But it seems to me, most give different advice, they just want my bussiness. In fact, I started my tank on 6/1/04. I have almost everything I need to have. I just want someone to help and guide me through, personaly.
    Coming to this site was a open eye experience for me. In fact, I learn quite a bit from here.
    Thanks for your concern.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Setting up a new 4 ft tank

No worries. Glad to hear you have been reading through before plunging in. You are right in that many LFS tend to plug what sells.

I don't really think you should have to actually pay someone (unless you want a professional aquarium setting up outfit) to set up your tank. Maybe someone here might have time to drop by and help a bit; that's nice but doesn't happen all the time.

Why don't you explain a bit what type of setup (plants, concept etc) you have in mind and the equipment you already have, as well as any questions not already covered by the FAQs, so that forummers can provide their feedback?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Will this help ?

The scale could be different considering you are doing a 4ft, but the basic idea is there.
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Many thanks to budak and ckll. I really appreciate the feedbacks.
    At present, I think I have everything I need.
    What I really need now is someone help to supply me with the plants and do the landscape. ( of course I will pay for the plants and transport and a maybe a reasonable fee in appreciation ). As for the landscape, he will have a free hand on it. And I need the advice on how to maintain the tank. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Welcome to the hobby Ben!

IMO, much of the fun part of planted tank is in aquascaping. The maintenance is not the enjoyable part whereas the viewing is the satisfying part.

Perhaps a good start is in selecting the type of plants that you like. Like what others have suggested, a look at Amano's tanks or AQ members tank may give you some inspiration on the kind of landscape you want.

If you wish to see tank in "person itself", I believe there are a fair number of hobbyists in CCK area who will have no qualms about inviting you to their home for viewing. Fyi, I stay CCK but my tank is ugly since I juz rescaped it. =)

If you want variety and helpful information(on maintenance and level of difficulty in keeping the plants), Teo's farm in Lim Chu Kang will be good.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Thanks to kadios for the info.
    This is the list of stuffs I have and done so far.

1) A 4 feet x2x2 Tank and cabinet
    2) CO2 5 liters cylinder and CO2 reactor
    3) Base fertiliser and sand
    4) Filter (external canister type)
    5) Surface skimmer
    6) Lights (4x30W FL lights)
    7) Liquid fertiliser ( bought from Jason at http://www.nature-aquarium.com )

The tank was set up on the 06 January 2004.
    Plants was added on the 12 Jan. ( from LFS- clementi, CCK )
    100 pieces Tetra was added on the 17 Jan ( Gan aquarium )-- 50% dead in 48 hours..LOL.
    Some of my plants just dont grow, but some grow like there is no tommorow.
    Get 100 more tetra from That's aquarium yesterday, so far so good.

Anyway, I like to thank the members here. I have receive lots of emails offering their help in getting me going. Thanks for writing in and of course thanks to the members posting their advices on this forum

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    4x30W of lights might not be enough for a 4x2x2 tank

i have 4 x 36 PL and 2 x36 FL, and i calculate it to be abt 2.4 W /Gallon...which is abt just enough

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info and advice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I've got a jungle of plants in my 4 footer. I stay in Jurong and I welcome you to cut what your eyes fancies (literally speaking that is). Anyway, hopefully you do come soon as I will start pruning my forest today or tomorrow. Give me a buzz at 94782865.

Cheers
    Vincent

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ben chua

The real fun of the hobby lies in doing the aquascaping yourself.

If you're hard-pressed for time, you might wish to consider a partially planted, low-maintenance tank such as mine. Go for the slow-growing, low to medium light plts so you won't have to prune that frequently. Your light is more than adequate to this end. Keep your bioload (no fish) low so you won't have to do water changes so often. Go for the hardier fish.

If you look at the pictures of my tank I posted under "Tank Gallery" you will see what I mean. There is only one fast-growing plt (H. difformis) to help battle algae growth. The centrepiece bogwood you see in there is part and parcel of my “partially planted theme”. It it fills up a big chunk of the space, which otherwise needs to be planted, without compromising on impressions of “nature”.

Going shopping for plts, fish, equipment, etc yourself can also be fun. I go to lfs around my home or near places that I frequent.

Take up the challenge, man

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    To add on to what Mike says, you can keep rosette plants for easy maintenance. Juz cut old and rotting leaves away! Unlike stem plants, there isn't the need to plant and replant the stalk when it grows tall.

Cheers!

Feedback Score
    Thanks. I will bare that in mind.