Images
    Country
    Singapore

Dun be disheartened - Treatise for a slow midweek

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Many a times one hears a hobbyist sigh and wonder why this species just doesn't seem to grow or thrive in his tank. It's a common event with most of us, although the exact details may differ. Sometimes, one may have success with a supposedly "tough" species, but fail with species regarded as "simple".

How does one deal with these aquatic failures? What causes them and how could they be remedied?

Certainly, understanding the specific requirements of a species (e.g. lighting, pH, fish compatibility, CO2 level, temperature, planting position, substrate, fertilisation) is a key requirement that should help in checklisting whether one's setup meets the needs of a particular plant. AQ's database and those at www.tropica.com and www.dennerle.de are probably more than adequate for most species available in Singapore and elsewhere.

The onus then falls onto the hobbyist whether he/she wants (or can) make the change required for the plant. Often it's a matter of investment cost, e.g. buying a chiller to be able to grow Taiwan plants and lace plant, or replacing those dinky light fixtures that come with many tanks for proper setups that can accomodate the necessary number of tubes.

Of course, investing in a CO2 is one major consideration. Certainly I wouldn't say that it's an Absolute necessity, but it sure does wonders. Nowadays, a decent CO2 system with solenoid and Taiwanese regulator goes for about $200-$250, lower if you have the right lobang or can get 2nd hand. Why not save up and work towards one? I am not trying to enrich the LFS, but if one wants to keep many of the plants that bubble without trouble in the showrooms (riccia, MMs, Rotalas, hairgrass etc), CO2 injection is prerequisite.

One can of course have planted setups without CO2 injection, subject to a more limited plant selection. My own observation is that in reality, such setups are more prone to algae (since the higher plants cannot outcompete the algae so easily) and can turn out to be more high maintenance (which is why my 2 footer is going CO2 once I have spare $$$).

Tank mates are also another consideration. I gave up keeping Rotala wallichi (a favourite) since my yamatoes and SAEs will strip the stems clean. Heck, even my chocolate gouramis will rip bits out of the leaves. Dun discount the possibility of allelochemicals as well - plants actually conduct chemical warfare with each other.

But even in a fairly ideal setup, one should not discount other exegeneous factors. Plant source is one. Glossostigma from Aquamart seems to grow fine in my tank (with 2.3 W per gallon) but those I get from a popular farm dun make it. Another case is java/christmas moss. Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that those from certain shops do well even without chilled water. So why not try a different source if the plants from your usual shop keep on dying? Plants are grown under a range of conditions in farms and end up in LFS at somewhat different stages (emmersed, submersed, and in-between), so it could just be that those you usually get are reacting badly to the shift.

Speaking of reaction, a common response to new plants that "melt" and die off is to throw the remnants away in disgust. I do believe that unless a plant has melted into nothingness, there ought to be some hope left. Plant tissue, even a tiny bit, has the potential to regenerate under ideal conditions, and melting is simply a response to shock or non-ideal conditions. Let the remnant stem or rhizome float around, and it could be possibly regrow. I got a stalk of Gratiola (an Eustralis stellata-like plant) from Aquamart middle last year, which initially died off into near vapour, but I left the bare stalks floating on top. After a while, when new buds and roots appeared, I replanted them and now I am desperate to find takers for them. The same goes for MMs. They used to melt with certainty after I planted them (even though there's ample light and CO2). So I decided to let the survivors float around and develop new roots and stems. Now they are taking over a third of my tank.

I stil

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LOL.. very longwinded ya, E. Red flame cant grow in my 6ft (oredi tried 3 times)

yar my vallisneria tried twice also cannot, float until rot..heh... but still kudos to budak for a really good piece of advice!!

Feedback Score
    a very encouraging piece of comment for newbies like me.

Still struggling to get my riccia to bubble.

perhaps i'll switch to CO2 cylinder.

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    yah lor.. so inspiring.. [] never knew there could be so much difference in plants reactions..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Chicken soup for the aquarist's soul....
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled" - Richard Feynman, 1986. Rogers commission into the Challenger disaster

Southern tip of S.E.A and possibly blowing bubbles underwater
    Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    chicken soup??? with echindorus?? hahaha..
    Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/6/2002 2:31:21 PM

LOL.. very longwinded ya, E. Red flame cant grow in my 6ft (oredi tried 3 times)
    ----------------
    Why leh? thought All the E. stuff should be quite easy to grow??

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dunno y, but the E. redflame never grow in my 6ft

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi,

Yea...me too. some plant just dun do well in my tank. Also some initially dun, until I have them snipped off (the top) then after some long time, they appear and grow well. Izit that they have adapted to the tank? Maybe it take some time to adapt. I read in the Tropical plant book, saying something about time to adapt. Tropical grow their plant emerse so that they store up energy for them to last in a new tank environment while trying to get adapt to it. Anyone can enlighten us?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 3/6/2002 11:23:45 PM

Hi,

Yea...me too. some plant just dun do well in my tank. Also some initially dun, until I have them snipped off (the top) then after some long time, they appear and grow well. Izit that they have adapted to the tank? Maybe it take some time to adapt. I read in the Tropical plant book, saying something about time to adapt. Tropical grow their plant emerse so that they store up energy for them to last in a new tank environment while trying to get adapt to it. Anyone can enlighten us?
    ----------------
    Perhaps this is what's happening to my Glosso:

The first batch of Glosso I got from Teo's were emersed. He pulled them out from the ground. The leaves were bigger. After I planted them in a new tank, they started to crawl in about 1 week.
    Then I got a 2nd batch from him which he gave me from one of his water tanks. The leaves seem smaller and seemed to be submersed form. Planted them in another new tank and after a week, all were growing - but standing -- not crawling at all. The leaves were also showing signs of yellowing. And I had more Watts/Gallon in this 2nd tank.

Queer.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks