Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

My cardinals spawned!!!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Not only did they spawn, but I have a brand new 1 week old baby swimming in the plant cover! WOW!!!!

I am stunned! I have done so well with my newly cycled tank...water parameters were just measured for the second time at the aquarium shop and they said my tank was absolutely beautiful! and Now, we have a beautiful baby to prove it!

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: My cardinals spawned!!!

Congrats! Do you have some picture to show us? I suppose the baby must be very tiny given that Cardinals are not that big either.
    A Liverpool Fan In Singapore
    My 2 ft tank
    Flora: Anubias barteri var Nana, var "Gold" and "mini", Crypto Wendtii, C.parva, Marsilea Hirsuta, Flame Moss, Hygrophila Polysperma, H.Violacea & H.Corymbosa, US Fissiden
    Fauna: Guppy, Pelvicachromis Pulcher, Nannacara Anomala, Laetacara Araguaiae 'Buckelkopf'

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    So tiny and clear that it's hard to find in the plants. But will send photo as soon as I can get one for myself!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Wow! Well done and congrats! It's rare to hear successful breeding of them.

And if it becomes a regular occurence, you might want to breed more and sell them!! Haha.
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Please share your picture and your tank parameters for our learning.
    It will be so interesting to see it.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am going to park in this thread. interesting

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Good job there.

I'll be awaiting your pictures.
    This is something less seen
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Subscribed. Waiting for pictures!

Regards,
    Misery.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I know! Everything I have read and heard, especially from my local aquarium store says that this is absolutely one of the rarest happenings! And just last night I think I saw one of my cardinals laying another batch of eggs! My goodness!!! What shall I do!?! Ha! Guess my 20ga long might have to become a 40 ga long soon enough! And have a side hatching tank! Lol! Boy I'm not sure I am ready for this! )

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I am not sure what you mean completely by tank parameters...

Here's what I know...

20gal long...
    Ph 7.4
    When I got my water tested after change, the guy said it was absolutely perfect. Nothing showed up high...or low. I felt like a proud mom! I keep my tank at 76 degrees.

Very very well planted. I have lots of rock and trees for them to play and hide in.

I'm very new to the fish world. My son asked me to take care of his Betta fish at Easter and I have cycled up two tanks since then.

I keep guppies and Cardinal and Neon tetras and one very docile Betta which I have named Einstein because he hangs with the guppies like he is one of the girls.

I found multiples of eggs which hatched within 3 days a week ago.

I change my water every 5 days at 4 gallons per week and I use a product called Prime.

I always use the same temp water to refill the tank.

I use salt in my tank but not regular aquarium salt, rather salt that is for plants and is safe for fish. It is called brackish salt. It is much healthier for the fish. Has much more of their electrolytes in it.

I use double filters in the tank as I still haven't removed the one from when I cycled into this tank. Obviously they are really healthy this way!!!

I rinse filters once a week!

At night time I turn off the light, but I turn on an evening light before bed to emulate sunset. I know it sounds silly, but we all have circadian sleep cycles, and I feel that this helps calm the fish more before turning the light completely out.

That's it so far!

Tell me what you need about the chemicals and I will find out for you...I can call the aquarium shop today and ask! they are amazing help!

Oh! I feed dry flakes in the morning, and I try to feed frozen at night. I like to feed twice a day. Yes, I know this means I probably overfeed but we eat more than once daily yes?

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am certainly impress that you manage to breed cardinals! Its insane. I've had cardinals since forever but to get fries...amazing.

Actually twice a day is good enough. I feed mine twice a day too.

Ah, an all time favourite. Seachem prime. I prefer using this than anything else in the market.

Temperature of the water is expected but that salt you use. I'm not sure if that is a factor. I'll try to research more into that. Seriously, we can get cardinals in abundance here in Singapore just by purchasing them from our lfs but for me personally, i've never ever manage to get them to even lay eggs.

Got to ask my local lads whether cardinals are still taken from the wild or are they bred.
    Hmm.. The guppy looks preggo. I think you got enough plants for the fries to hide from the adult fishes.

Again, congratulations. If that tank is wht you did, many would think you've done this for years. Well done!
    VSGenesis
    "The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing we can ever truly control whether we are good or evil." - Oma Desala (Stargate - SG1)
    http://hisstoryimmortalised.blogspot.sg/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Congrats!! i ve seen my neons doing the mating dance but havent had any luck with egga or fries. May i know your livestock count in your tank? also do you have any snails? i ve heard sometimes fish or snails will eat the eggs.. Not sure if thats a factor

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    I do have snails but only from what came in on the plants. I have been assured that they won't hurt anything in my tank but I do remove what I can during water changes.

I have 7 cardinals, 8 guppies as one was hurt by another female guppy and one very docile Betta. I saw the bullying happen, and it was awful. It was by another very small female in the group and I'm not sure why it was happening. It happened in a matter of minutes. Very sad.

The baby cardinal has now developed its stripe, and is still hiding in the plants. A smart little thing!

I am very proud of my tank. Quite the landscape for my little fish! You can't see it but I do have an aerator as well.

nearby Wululand..a nice place northern part of Singkapoh..
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

congrats, they are hard to breed in aquarium...your tank must be very suitable and perfect for them... well done....

Check out my Blog on planted tank, good for newbies ( i am lazy to retype all the info i know, so please click and read below link... i hope you don't fall asleep while reading)
    Link to my Blog

I am not PERFECT but I am LIMITED EDITION !!! BIG Tank comes with BIG Responsibility...as they makan a lot of $$....lol

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340418850.128415.jpgthis is the best I can get for you all. The little guy is just now coming out and ready to explore the tank. Scary stuff! I'm afraid some other fish might eat him. Oh well. He's much too small and fast for me to catch. I can try to get a screen to separate I think. Meanwhile the second picture represents only a small fraction of the second batch of eggs! Yes. We have had a second spawning. And this time there are literally 100's of eggs!!! They are everywhere!!!!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340419469.871621.jpg

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

any updates on your fries? what is the survival rate?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Cool!! I want to see it live for myself if I can......

Sooo..errr.. turpentine, is viewing request entertain?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Last time i also excited when my tetra fish spawn.... One day while viewing the tank, saw a few tiny fishes in the tank..... It is always exciting...
    Congrats !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast