Images
    Country
    Singapore

rescape 2 mth old tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

hi, my new tank is about 1 wk old. Intend to put ruccia? at the foregrd.
    During the cycling period, wonder if it is advisable to put some algae eaters like oto [how many would be needed for a 2ft tank?]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: newly setup tank

[quote:badc06ac0d="hpeter"]

hi, my new tank is about 1 wk old. Intend to put ruccia? at the foregrd.
    During the cycling period, wonder if it is advisable to put some algae eaters like oto [how many would be needed for a 2ft tank?][/quote:badc06ac0d]

Hi Bro,

It will be good to add in your algae eaters crew before your algae booms.

Can consider 5otos, 5 yamatos, 2SAE as SAE could grows to quite a large size.

Can add in some platys to cycle your water. No feeding is require.

Good luck.
    Cheers
    CFP

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Put algae crew after NO2 and NH4 = 0. Don't feed your swordfish as they will actively seek algae and eat
    Cheerio,
    Sleepy_lancs
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    An afternoon trimming my watery garden is better
    then an afternoon with a therapist
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks for advices, really appreciated.
    Platies already in.

i hv put in 3 otos the other day and 2 died the next day . Quickly transfer the other one to an older tank. Guess the tank is not safe yet, with all the NH+++......

should hv read this thread first before the adding in

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

rescape 2 mths old tank

before

after

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    You should place the red plant at the background, emerging from a bush. The red is not intense enough IMO.
    The driftwood arrangement is good but the line between the riccia-on-wood and vallisneria? at the back is too obvious. Try putting some stemmed plants behind the riccia-on-wood in a layered manner. short in front and taller behind. this can be done by trimming.
    Also you have all stem plants on the left and broad-leaved plants on the right which resulted in a too asymetrical layout. Mix some on either side so it's more Yin-Yang, a little stem plants among the broad-leaved ones and vice versa.
    The Riccia foreground should extent all the way to both sides or if you are trying to acheive a concave look put in some mid-ground plants to fill the space. Echinodorus tenellus is a good one.
    The long slender leaves of the background plant does not fit the rest I think, too many of different forms upsets a composition.
    The overall weight distribution is too symetrical, same amount of plants on left and right promotes no visual interest. The bright riccia brings the focal point too close to the center.
    I believe the layout will mature and improve as the plants grow.
    Nice job overall.

BTW, are those P. axelrodi or P. simulans?? if they're simulans where did you get them?
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Thanks for the valuable critics.
    I also find it a bit messy too. Maybe initially too excited and get too many plants. Maybe i should simplify and find a main focus [more on the amano style].

No, those are the cardinals bought from Y618.
    Will slowly increase to about 30+. Think need to simplify the tank layout so as to enhance their brillance. Is there any recommended layout for cardinals? saw some at NA, which are quite simple but nice, with the fishes and plants complementing each other quite well.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    NA's are pretty good but as calm as they seem, I think they somehow lack depth. But the tank that have drifttwigs and moss is the best in there.

What I have learn, cardinals will compliment small leave plants well so the overall composition will look bigger and wider.

Amano uses many different styles. Driftwood + lush plant growth, rocks + minimal planting, etc... I personally think cardinals suit the fantasy / ideal interpretion of nature theme more. While simple colored fishes will suit a shakkei styled tank more. But there're no limits our minds can take us so experiment.

The main focus also should not be too focus but instead lead the viewers eyes around so the focal point is strong but blurred.

I try to follow Amano's Golden ratio technique which I also practise in graphics and art. Maybe you can search on Google for the 1.618:1 Golden Ratio or get Nature Aquarium World Book 1 and Aqua Journal (eng) Vol. 33 which discusses the topic.
    I'm back!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Better than before once the plant grows in. The Hygrophila on the right foreground can grow tall. Better to place it at the background.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:de315d6d07="Aeon"]NA's are pretty good but as calm as they seem, I think they somehow lack depth. But the tank that have drifttwigs and moss is the best in there.

What I have learn, cardinals will compliment small leave plants well so the overall composition will look bigger and wider.

Amano uses many different styles. Driftwood + lush plant growth, rocks + minimal planting, etc... I personally think cardinals suit the fantasy / ideal interpretion of nature theme more. While simple colored fishes will suit a shakkei styled tank more. But there're no limits our minds can take us so experiment.

The main focus also should not be too focus but instead lead the viewers eyes around so the focal point is strong but blurred.

I try to follow Amano's Golden ratio technique which I also practise in graphics and art. Maybe you can search on Google for the 1.618:1 Golden Ratio or get Nature Aquarium World Book 1 and Aqua Journal (eng) Vol. 33 which discusses the topic.[/quote:de315d6d07]

After the first try using many plants, i sort of realise that my skill is still not good enough to achieve the Golden ratio effect with more plants. May be easier to achieve thru lesser variaties.
    I hv come to know about this Golden ratio concept in Photography [the so-called one third rule] and hv been practicing it ever since i realised its powerful effect in photography.

What i intend to do is to put Vallisneria spiralis as the backdrop against which the glow of the cardinal is enhanced. Put a nice colored Bogwood at the "sweet spot" golden ratio location as the main focal pt with 1 or 2 different size java fern to soften [maybe a few mid-grd to smooth the transition], riccia as the carpet, the left/right side[ ????], 30+ cardinals....

what do you think?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think this tank would looks good. IMO move the red further back, push that driftwood further back and have the riccia cover that sector, and more plants in the left mid area.

I would also trim back/remove the Hygrophila, it's getting a bit too big to be there, perhaps you can move these to the left mid/back area... hope that helps

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    agree with Fei Miao.

The Left side can be entirely replaced with riccia to give it a more complete lawn look. Remove the vals, hygrophlia, ferns and replace with a big group of rotala green or red will be nice. The vals, placed in the center, takes away your depth.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功