Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Question Cardinal tetras always hiding.

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys, I have a 2 feet planted tank with 25 cardinals and 1 otto but my cardinals, which are introduced about 3 weeks ago, likes to hide behind the rotala macrandra whenever the lights are on. They do not show any stress and display normal colours.My current lights are 1 watt LEDs 10K colour. My tank is cycled with CO2 injection only during lights on. Im thinking the cardinals do not like the 10K colour temp which could be too bright for them? Any thoughts Guys? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re: Cardinal tetras always hiding.

how about trying normal light bulbs for a few days and see what happens?

Tank1: 48in x 18in x 28in | filter: 2x2000LPH canister | substrate: DIY substrate | fertilizer: EI+pressurized CO2 | light: 2x54W+2x150W
    Tank2: 24in x 12in x 12in (blackwater and non-planted)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My tetras like to swim near plants too. It seems like it gives them a sense of security.

Feedback Score
    Images

Recently (2 weeks ago) brought 5 cardinals from C328... all hid behind the plants... even when feeding time.
    3 days ago brought another batch of 10... this time from Polyart... swimming all over the tank without any fear... and best of all... the 5 from the first batch also start schooling with them!

After some soul searching, I came to 2 possibilities
    1. The enviroment in the LFS... C328 is dim while polyart is always brght (24/7).
    2. They need more than a certain number to overcome the fear factor and start schooling.

Cheers
    The past is HISTORY... the future is MYSTERY

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

My first batch of 10 cardinals bought from green chapter, just before christmas, all like to hide behind plants in my 4'x2'x2 tank. A week later i added another 30 cardinals bought from C328..still the same. Another week later I add in 20 neon tetra bought from polyart. The neons seem to school better and some of the cardinals will follow. Now I have about 70 cardinals and 70 neons. They swim all over the tank but often see the neons swim in school and join by cardinals.

You may want to consider adding some neons to cardinals to lead them in schooling.