4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Myriad of problems popping up

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Using aquaticfertilizer Macro Micro Mix daily with seachem phosphorus twice a week
    CO2 injection on solenoid with 2LED tubes for ~5 hours per day
    CO2 is a recent addition. Was previously using BW growth

Problems
    -Tiger Lotus just does not grow. Has been stunted and slowly melting for about 4 months, even with WonderGro tabs supplemented
    -frog bits turning slightly yellow and brown when previously they were always bright green
    -java fern windelov browning from base of leaves upwards. I have 2 and only one experienced these symptoms
    -huge mass of hair algae devastating my mini Xmas moss in the center of the tank. All other areas unaffected but the central mass is spreading

Suspected cause:
    As my dosage can be considered to be EI, with notably undemanding plants, I don't think it is a lack of nutrients, or would the current set of problems suggest otherwise?

I suspect my CO2 may not be atomizing all the time as the working pressure may not be optimal. Will a lack of CO2 be responsible for this?

Actions taken:
    Have increased CO2 bubble count to 1bps. Was formerly at .5 bps.

Anyone with any know how on how I might resolve this and restore equilibrium?
    Thank you so much in advance!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    What are the tank specs, led model?
    Lighting plays a big part in a planted tank besides the other elements.

Algae normally comes in when your tank is unbalanced.

Below is what normally is required, 70% of the time it is given one after another.

Tank size
    WC routine
    Light wattage
    Photoperiod
    Co2 + details
    Carbon supplement
    Most important Pictures
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Myriad of problems popping up

Tank size: 2 feet by 1 feet by 1 feet tank

WC routine: water change once a week. about 30 – 40%

Light wattage: 2 tubes of X bright (if i recall) from http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/78388-Eco-quarium-LED-light-tube-Better-Price-after-Labour-Day-2011!?highlight=light
    Photoperiod: 5 hours
    Co2 + details: Dennerle Tank and solenoid. using UP atomizer. 1 bps as of today
    Carbon supplement: nil. should i add excel?
    Most important Pictures: will upload when i get back home.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Fishkeeping is also all about problem-solving. As long as more problems are not created,
    the journey will be much smoother.
    LIFE IS UNBEARABLE WITHOUT A FISH TANK!!!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Mystikboy View Post
    Tank size: 2 feet by 1 feet by 1 feet tank

WC routine: water change once a week. about 30 – 40%

Light wattage: 2 tubes of X bright (if i recall) from http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/showthread.php/78388-Eco-quarium-LED-light-tube-Better-Price-after-Labour-Day-2011!?highlight=light
    Photoperiod: 5 hours
    Co2 + details: Dennerle Tank and solenoid. using UP atomizer. 1 bps as of today
    Carbon supplement: nil. should i add excel?
    Most important Pictures: will upload when i get back home.
    Basically, just quick comment before i make my way back home too.
    I do have my suspect eyeing the photo period, i've not tried anything lower then 6 hours in total.

Which UP atomizer your using? Same as mine, i mean the bazooka one? i am using 2-2.5 bps Co2 more is ok. Where as Carbon supplements are optional so you can leave them out.

Frogbits turning yellowish normally a trace or lighting problem. If they gone case, come by my place i can give you alot and i do mean ALOT...
    Lotus plant, this is what made me feel the light period was not sufficient their normally slow and steady . This goes the same for Java fern types. That slowly witter off when light is not sufficient.
    Xmas moss, i am sad to say you will need to remove the mass of hair algae as much as you can. Then you can choose the option of adding alage crew or just redo the whole moss section. Moss normally turns ugly browish when we dose excel.

About the bloom of algae, is it due to heat? 1 tank i have outside is having hair algae over my nice hairgrass/glosso combo lawn. normally it is minimum till almost cannot spot.

Btw, algae always is present. it's how we balance healthy plants that are natural defense..

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    I have up the lighting to 7hours.
    Here is the picture.
    Yeah it is the bazooka one. The first generation I believe? Can I ask, does it take time to kick in for you or is it instantaneous?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikboy View Post
    I have up the lighting to 7hours.
    Here is the picture.
    Yeah it is the bazooka one. The first generation I believe? Can I ask, does it take time to kick in for you or is it instantaneous?
    See how it goes with longer period.
    But of course, remove as much hair algae as you can.

Mine is greenish, believe there are 2 models. Plus alot of bros comment quite high failure rate.

Yeah, it's not as fast as normal diffusers. Slower then my boyu inline which takes a while to start.

Semi-Active currently

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Do you measure the water temperature ?

Presume you are not aircon the fish room. One thing I realized for us living in this tropical island we tend to forget of our "seasonal" climate. Although it is "almost" constantly hot all year round but there is notable changes of a few degree C.
    The mid year starting from mid June entering to July (probably until around mid Sept) is the hotest and driest of the year.
    Mid day can be peaked to 32C indoor in most case. And the plants in the tank will not grow well at this time even with fan blowing (the tank water would be around 29+C). Whereas when coming to year end the raining season many of the foreground plant will just spreading crazy.
    So one hypothesis I have in your case could be the summer spell that the weather just get hotter recent weeks and the temperature is crossing the comfort zone of your plants. Even 1-2 degree C can make a big different if crossing their threshold.

And when you do water change do you did it during the noon time or early dawn ? That is another way to "boil" the plant in summer if not careful, given our supply water tank typically on the roof receiving solar energy.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,
    My 2 cents.
    1. Photoperiod, leave the light on for 6-8 hours a day.
    2. lighting : i have not used the LED much. but my experience with the LED is that its often very good. Does your moss pearl at the top part of the tank?
    3. CO2, what do you have for your bubble counters and connectors to your CO2 tank? may want to check for leaks as the inline requires high pressure. Alternatively, for a 2 ft, you may want to change to a diffuser.

Frogbits turning yellow are mostly because of not enough lighting or lighting not in the right spectrum. I suspect for your case its the former. does the frogbits get enough "exposure" to light under the LED?
    Hope it helps.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok. I was worried mine might be defective. Shadow seems to recommend this model though; I purchased it based on his review of the product

Luckily I live very high up. My temperature with fan rarely, if ever, exceeds 28. Nights it drops to ~25
    My water supply is rarely warm too. And I normally change my water early morning

Alright, it's at 7hours as of today. Hopefully this will go well!

Yes the whole tree will be filled with pearling moss; really beautiful
    I bought the tubing from Petmart and my co2 equipment is all dennerle. When I left the filter outlet was discharging fine co2 bubbles so all should be fine. Will continue to monitor in the upcoming days.

I think your point about the frogbits requiring more light has validity as I recall reducing my lighting from 6 to 4hours when the hair algae kicked in. But this may have exacerbated the algae issue, come to think of it...