Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SERA chlorvec & aqutan

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I am presently using SERA aqutan, and I can't recall when did I start using it and when I first had GW. Blackout has solved my previous GW problem.

It appears that I'm getting GW again.

Was checking out SERA anti-chlorine products on the web and came across 2 products : chlorvec & aqutan

Product info for chlorvec and aquatan are at here

It appears that chlorvec takes care of chlorine and chloramine, whereas aqutan takes care of chlorine and heavy metal ions.

My concerns are that aqutan may not be getting rid of the chloramine in my tap water. I believe chloramine breaks down into chlorine and ammonia. And I further postulate that there was an ammonia spike (perhaps from chloramine breakdown and bioload) which caused GW previously (and now).

Can anybody shed any light on this ? Thanks.
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: SERA chlorvec & aqutan

[quote:67f7e8fce8="ckll"]I am presently using SERA aqutan, and I can't recall when did I start using it and when I first had GW. Blackout has solved my previous GW problem.

It appears that I'm getting GW again.

Was checking out SERA anti-chlorine products on the web and came across 2 products : chlorvec & aqutan

Product info for chlorvec and aquatan are at here

It appears that chlorvec takes care of chlorine and chloramine, whereas aqutan takes care of chlorine and heavy metal ions.

My concerns are that aqutan may not be getting rid of the chloramine in my tap water. I believe chloramine breaks down into chlorine and ammonia. And I further postulate that there was an ammonia spike (perhaps from chloramine breakdown and bioload) which caused GW previously (and now).

Can anybody shed any light on this ? Thanks.[/quote:67f7e8fce8]
    Aqutan does binds ammonia (according to their website "sera aqutan is effective against acute intoxications by metal ions and ammonia", so I believe it maybe as effective as Chlorvec in terms of neutralising Chloramine.

So far from what I know from PUB, they are using chloramine for only for 2 of our water works. You tap might be even free from chloramines. And the amount of chloramine used in tap is <3ppm, might be very little compared to what you get from wastes and substrates.

I think you should also look at your filter capacity and your substrate and your bioload.

BC

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi bclee, thanks for the reply.

I look closer that aqutan product info on the web and it says "In a 45 minute bath under threefold dosage, sera aqutan is effective against acute intoxications by metal ions and ammonia. "

I am thinking along the line (maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm paranoid) that it takes 3x the amount and 45 mins to act on the heavy metals ions and ammonia. If I dont dose that much, as in, I normally dose according to the recommended dosage, then I wouldn't be able to reap this ammonia-ridding benefit.

On the aqutan product label on bottle, it's stated that it's a 5-in-1 conditioner. The 5 being :
    - clears the water
    - immediately binds harmful heavy metal ions
    - neutralizes dissolved salts and aggressive chlorine.
    - protects the mucous membrane of the fish due to its valuable vitamin B complex and skin protecting colloids.
    - sera aqutan is ideal for reducing stress during transport and introduction of fish.

There's no mention of its effects on chloramine (perhaps this is not a concern since you indicated that PUB's input is that its levels are so little) and ammonia.

At the same time, I'm reducing my bioload and re-looking at my filter's bio-efficiency.
    ckchua

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Seachem Prime or Safe may be the product for you?