Country
    Singapore

Re: DIY LED light for 3 ft tank

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by Erctheanda View Post
    Noted on the good advice! Usually we should not go for parrallels when connecting diodes (unless we are using a don't know what device as advised by my colleague). But in my case, i am using this as a learning opportunity.
    Hi. I think you need to read up a little on how LEDs are driven before plunging into buying your equipment. Be wary of 'simple circuits' especially those indicating just a battery/power source with a few LEDs.. what you're setting up here (string of 10 high power LEDs) CAN be simple if you do not try to change too much without understanding the consequences - ie putting 2 strings of LEDS in parallel without some load (current) balancing circuitry is just asking for trouble.

As Forummer 32103940 has pointed out, I think it's best you keep to using 1 driver for 1 string of LEDs. The major consideration is the CURRENT which determines the amount of light output and hence the related circuitry/components required.

FYI, I've used 21 XP-Gs driven at 700mA for a 3fter (45cm tall, with lights ~60cm from substrate) and the growth of all the plants have been phenomenal (except those on the sides where the light is lesser). I believe there are a lot more data available from scapers around to learn from their experiences so you can decide what to actually embark on.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by neverwalkalone View Post
    Hi. I think you need to read up a little on how LEDs are driven before plunging into buying your equipment. Be wary of 'simple circuits' especially those indicating just a battery/power source with a few LEDs.. what you're setting up here (string of 10 high power LEDs) CAN be simple if you do not try to change too much without understanding the consequences - ie putting 2 strings of LEDS in parallel without some load (current) balancing circuitry is just asking for trouble.

As Forummer 32103940 has pointed out, I think it's best you keep to using 1 driver for 1 string of LEDs. The major consideration is the CURRENT which determines the amount of light output and hence the related circuitry/components required.

FYI, I've used 21 XP-Gs driven at 700mA for a 3fter (45cm tall, with lights ~60cm from substrate) and the growth of all the plants have been phenomenal (except those on the sides where the light is lesser). I believe there are a lot more data available from scapers around to learn from their experiences so you can decide what to actually embark on.

Thanks for the advice! I have ordered the parts. Engaging my colleague's help to come up with the circuitry advice...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by neverwalkalone View Post

Hi bro neverwalkalone, could you give me some direction or website to read on how driver and led works and be connected.
    I'm also very interested in making led lights for my planted tanks.

One side question. Does DIY led lights save more on electrical bills than normal lighting we use like FL lights or PL lights?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Go search on marine (local or oversea) forum, plenty on diy led lighting.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Stradic View Post
    Hi bro neverwalkalone, could you give me some direction or website to read on how driver and led works and be connected.

One side question. Does DIY led lights save more on electrical bills than normal lighting we use like FL lights or PL lights?
    Hi Stradic, guess I'm slower than other forummers - the sites listed by smyee is typical of many available, but notice that it's all in the Reef/saltwater forumss. LEDs have been use there much longer than FW. But this has changed over the last 2-3 years. Visit those sites listed for 'general idea' and circuitry informatio - there's a GREAT (monster) thread on Reefcentral site on DIY which I've referenced in my own DIY LED build post.

for FW (growing plants) sites, you can read the following: (though I haven't been following them lately since a, I've already done my project, (b) NO TIME! )
    - Tom Barr's build MKII: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-Luminare-MkII
    - Planted Central: Red Plants and LEDs : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184629
    etc etc. you'll find tonnes of material from google serach.

Happy reading!

- btw: YES: LEDs are more energy efficient: ie I replace my 3x39W T5HOs (108W) with 21x3W (63W) LEDs, but I'm sure it is not calculated this way as there are lots of other related circuitry that will consume power (ie my current drivers and bias PWM circuits etc).. overall, the cost from energy saved is not signficant given the (relatively) high(er) cost of LED systems.. but it's getting better! (but it's the right thing to do - less energy consumed, less heat etc etc).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Stradic View Post

Hi Stradic, guess I'm slower than other forummers - the sites listed by smyee is typical of many available, but notice that it's all in the Reef/saltwater forums. LEDs have been used in that space much longer than FW. But this has changed over the last 2-3 years. Visit those sites listed for 'general idea' and circuitry information - there's a GREAT (monster) thread on Reefcentral site on DIY which I've referenced in my own DIY LED build post.

for FW (growing plants) sites, you can read the following: (though I haven't been following them lately since 9a), I've already done my project, (b) NO TIME! )
    - Tom Barr's build MKII: http://www.barrreport.com/showthread...-Luminare-MkII
    - Planted Central: Red Plants and LEDs : http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184629
    etc etc. you'll find tonnes of material from google serach.

Happy reading!

- btw: YES: LEDs are more energy efficient: ie I replace my 3x39W T5HOs (108W) with 21x3W (63W) LEDs, but I'm sure it is not calculated this way as there are lots of other related circuitry that will consume power (ie my current drivers and bias PWM circuits etc).. overall, the cost from energy saved is not signficant given the (relatively) high(er) cost of LED systems.. but it's getting better! (but it's the right thing to do - less energy consumed, less heat etc etc).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

For those who keen on diy, can buy the LED drivers locally at company below, last time i bought from them, their salesmen deliver to your door step.

http://www.smsystem.com.sg/products/...ewr-Supply.pdf

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500030

Light Box

From http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499982

Upgraded to This

Plant Box. Growing using Specific Spectrum.

Achieving 120 PAR at 1m

http://arofanatics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500636

LED strips are available in RED, White, Blue, Green.
    Specific 12000K in White
    Specific Far Red and Blue also available.
    For Engineers, By Engineers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12