Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Help!!! Tank leaked in many places

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, my matured planted 3 feet tank of 10yrs leaked from the side of silicone from numerous places. I had to drain out the tank to one fifth to stop the leaking. Looks like the silicone rubber has given way and more leakage appears as I was anxiously draining away the water. Is there any quick fix like "super glue" to seal up the leaks while I prepare my contigency tank? Really hates to see my Crypts like Costata, Nuriii, Tokinesis, parva and moss go down the drain. Currently water level too low for my external filter to run, live stocl of shrimps and fishes still inside. I can only install airstone and newspaper to cover over the plants to prevent drying up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Get silicone from home fix or something and stick it at the affected area and wait for it to cure. Usually take about 1 day to dry for those standard silicone. Is 1 day too long?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Remember to get those aquarium safe silicon.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help!!! Tank leaked in many places

Suggest you can use a typical storage tub for temporary shelter for your livestock. If with some hours of sunlight during the day the plants might still be ok in it as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Looks like the tank will be giving way soon.
    Don't recommend that you try to fix it (after all, it's been 10 years already), even after you mend the leaks with silicon, you probably won't have the confidence to fully fill up the tank (speaking from experience here)

Your crypts should survive the eventual transplant, reusing the substrate may prevent melts.
    Sorry to say this, but I will choose crypt melts over mopping the floor in the middle of the night.

All the best man!
    - eric

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I second what bossteck commented. Having a tank explosion in the middle of the night is no fun at all. I rather have damaged or dead plants then to see the whole setup wasted for just a silicon problem.

What's the thickness of the glass, if just normal glass I'll suggest you to faster get it replace. 3ft replacement is still manageable and easy to get.
    Fish keeping is not a good hobby unless you received support from your family to keep them.

Feedback Score
    48 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Wow bro...
    It's risky...even if you silicon back.
    The whole tank glass might collapse if the silicon give way...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Well, that is a really mature tank you have.

Temporary repair while you search for a new tank, just get the small tube of silicon. Around $5.

The tank is quite old already. Don't repair cos now a certain part is leaking, you patch here later another part leak..

Sent from my Dai Kor Dai using Tapatalk.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I won't even bother to try and have a quick fix cos the tank may fall apart anytime. I'd rather use that time to go look for a new tank and also remove all the inhabitants from the tank.
    Admiring my Fishes calm the Beast within me

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You have enjoyed the tank for a long time. You could either stripped out all the silicone and re-do it with a fresh batch of silicone or get a new tank. Either way, you are without a tank for a while. Been in your shoe before, tank leaked very early in the morning, done a clean up and still has to go to work at 9am.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, thanks so much for all the help. I have no choice but to restart the whole system. Just keep some of the plants and transfer to a smaller "holding" tank first. Meanwhile, still comtemplating to source for new tank or to stop the hobby for a while.

Cheers!