Country
    Singapore

Re: Diy led strips: The way of doing it

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by jerome View Post
    something wrong with my post, keep getting deleted.
    any reason why?
    Jerome
    You may have posted URL links of other aquarium site in your post. May not be appropriate according to the forum rules. I may be wrong.
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I checked, it was deleted because of sms lingo like "you are" become "u r". This forum is open world wide, some may not understand local sms libgo.

As for links or pictures are fine as long as you acknowledge the source.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi shadow
    understand, thanks for explaining. sorry for the sms lingo i made

RGB light set
    very troublesome to solder -.-
    so many wires

pure white

alittle less green to make it pinkish

just for fun scary red light

Jerome

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by seudzar View Post
    Hi jerome, I was refering to jamesneo posting as he posted a link there where you can actually see the rating when you click it.
    Take me some time to search around for the adaptor. Found another smiliar adaptor from lck-leds (US$8.50) with this rating output 12V 5A which can support up to 4 to 5 LED strips.
    http://www.lck-led.com/110240v-power...html?cPath=147

With a output of DC 12V, the voltage is taken care of. Now for the current question, if i only intend to connect to 2 or 3 strips of LEDs in parallel, will the 5A output caused the LEDs to be burned?
    From my basic electrical knowledge, if one leds is shorted circuited, this will caused 5A of current to flow in that particular strip of LED which may burn the LEDs. I may be wrong. Can clarify? Thanks
    Happy Planting, Be Well & Prosper. An aquarium plants hobbyist for hobbyists.

Scaping Nature in a Cube
    SMS/Whatsapp: James | 9647 0392 | Tampines S(520273)

Latest available plants images in my profile's gallery --> http://www.aquaticquotient.com/galle...r&imageuser=66

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by jamesneo View Post
    Take me some time to search around for the adaptor. Found another smiliar adaptor from lck-leds (US$8.50) with this rating output 12V 5A which can support up to 4 to 5 LED strips.
    http://www.lck-led.com/110240v-power...html?cPath=147

With a output of DC 12V, the voltage is taken care of. Now for the current question, if i only intend to connect to 2 or 3 strips of LEDs in parallel, will the 5A output caused the LEDs to be burned?
    From my basic electrical knowledge, if one leds is shorted circuited, this will caused 5A of current to flow in that particular strip of LED which may burn the LEDs. I may be wrong. Can clarify? Thanks
    Hmmm... I am not very sure of connecting the strips in parallel, the LED strips are designed and connected in series, the longer the strips, the larger the current is needed to drive the LED.

Let say the LED strips that you want to connect requires only 12VDC, 3A and you use a 5A, 12VDC AC adaptor, the LED strips should work fine, not a problem. However, if you use a lower rating AC adaptor like 2A, the LED will not be as bright as it used to be.

Let me check what happen if i connect the strip in parallel and i will get back to you. haha

Apart from getting the 12VDC adaptor online, you can try to get it from UF technology on the 3rd floor of Sim Lim Square. The shop is pretty reliable, so not to worry to get from there.
    Last edited by seudzar; 16th Jul 2012 at 16:52.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

the picture in #11 is connected in parallel

also to add on, look at the led strip, the led circuit are made with 3 led diode.that is why you can cut the strip every 3 leds.
    so if ever 1 single led burn, it can cut off the small potion sacrificing the other 2 led. you can join up the rest back together.
    Last edited by jerome; 16th Jul 2012 at 17:05.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

do remember that led will get hot so sufficient heat dissipating such as heatsink is require to maintain the effectiveness of the led with getting overheat and burn.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, I have checked, the internal connection of the LED strips is connected in parallel, so if you solder the strips in parallel or in series, it is still connected in parallel internally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi all, agree with bro Jerome ie 1 meter led needs about 1 amp adaptor. If you want to run say 3 rows of led you can still use 1 adaptor but it must be more than 3amps say 3.5 or 4 amps. Of course the higher the amperage the more costly the adaptor will be. The sellers at sim lim will custom the length as required and make the connectors in between the rows of leds for you. You just have to give them time to do it. I have been running 2 rows of 1 meter leds using a 3amp adaptor for about a year with no problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12