Images
    Country
    Singapore

what fish is this?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    i know this is some kind of panchax, would like to know if it is the common golden panchax found in lfs?
    i'm thinking it isn't because of the vertical bands on its body.

it looked dull when i got it, but the irids appeared when i put him in my tank.

can any one help?

THanks in advance!

Ben

View the pics here:

http://www.arofanatics.com/members/o.../watsthisfish/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    i think the golden panchax in the market are man-made(the famrs might crossed the fish already)..i do spot specimens with vertical stripes sometimes too..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the response!

so would those with the vertical bands be man-made as well?
    or would those with the vertical bands be the 'natural' colour/form of the fish?

Ben

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    China
    some reference say it's from A. lineatus

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    the fish is A. lineatus, and the stripey form is the wild variety (the gold type found in many shops is a colour variety).

Apart from Genetically modified fish, there are NO real man-made fish. Man can only take what occurs naturally and propagate the trait. In every wild fish population, there will occassionally arise individuals who are differently coloured, e.g. gold form of the lineatus/gouramis/tetras, gold colour form of wild goldfish (which are actually gray), longer fins, short tubby bodies (rams, mollies and some other cichlids). Because such traits are unfavourable for wild fish (short bodied fish and gold forms can't escape predators so well), they do not spread into the population. But such forms appear in the aquarium trade because of breeders who spot such traits and select these individuals for further breeding.

There are differences in opinion, but I think there are both aesthetic as well as environmental and ethical reasons why "natural" forms of species should be preferred to varieties where unfavourable traits are propagated. Unfavourable meaning things like short, tubby bodies, excessively long finnage (lyre-tail swordtails can't even breed naturally). I don't see much harm in colour variations (fancy discus, guppies, swordtails, gouramis, goldfish etc), but can't figure out why in the world do people want to keep bland "colourless" varieties of discus, black tetras, neons etc... when the natural or other colour forms have so much more complex patterns.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the info!

will do more reading up of it on my own....

Ben