Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

land plants vs aquatic plants

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    just wondering if the plants from land and aquatic plants absorb nutrients the same way...
    anyone?
    -----------------------------
    Of all the things I had lost, I miss my mind the most...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    land plants have no choice but to absorb nutrients (except for light and CO2) through their roots (from the soil, from organic detritrius on trees/rocks/cliffs for epyphytic species). A few species, like airplants (Bromeliads) and orchids can obtain their nutrients almost directly from the air, as they live in extremely humid environments.

aquatic plants can absorb nutrients through both their roots and stem/leaves which are considerably more porous than those of land plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    so it is technically possible to put a land plant eg money plant and let the root dip into water to take in nitrates and phosphates?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be done but beware of dying leaves of the money plant. It could pollute your tank water with some chemical secretion that would kill all your fishes. Had picked up this tip from somewhere in the net.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:12c0a16f87="BFG"]It could be done but beware of dying leaves of the money plant. It could pollute your tank water with some chemical secretion that would kill all your fishes. Had picked up this tip from somewhere in the net.[/quote:12c0a16f87]

i just intend to let the roots of the money plants get into the water to take in nitrates and phosphates
    but money plant, being a land plant, i do not know the roots will root or the plant will die if i submerge the roots in water

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Earthworm,

It's actually possible, and if you have an open top aquarium, growing land plants like money plants on the tank perimeter is a nice accent.

Not all land plants can grow with their roots in water..... only certain species which tend to grow in wetter soils in nature...... plants like cacti and orchids will never survive...... plants like dumbcanes, draceanas (the Chinese new year bamboo plant), sagitarrias (the arrow-leaf shaped plant popular during CNY), pandans, money plants and their relatives the peace lilies (Spathyphyllum) are some possibilities.

But i won'd advise buying a land plant and sticking its roots in the water straightaway..... land plants need to develop a different type of root for water.... (thin and dense, instead of the thick and sparse land roots). For money plants, try keeping the plant in its pot while letting the new growing shoots skim the water so that water roots will develop.

You can also grow Anubias and Echinodorus as "Land plants". One way is to use a string or wire to tie the plant to the side of the aquarium, such that the roots are submerged but the leaf growth will rise above the water. Then emergent leaf forms will develop.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    by the way,will land plants take in ammonia or nitrate or phosphates?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    yes
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

Duh!

Some may not realise it, but crypts, anubias, money plants, yam, dumbcane, Monstera (swiss cheese plant), peace lily, the so-called jade plant (popular during CNY) and Anthuriums all belong to the same plant family, Araceae, or the aroids, owing to the general similarity of their inflorescenes.

To the same family also belongs the plant with the largest inflorescenes in the world (growing up to 3 m tall), the Amorphallus titanum (titanic large *****).

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do you wish to grow any aquatic plants in the tank? If not, go for a plant filter then...there's info on APD or you could simply bug Tom Barr...

Regards
    Peter Gwee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    e reason i ask about land plants with roots in the water is because i want to find a way to remove more nitrates

but i not too sure if land plants will absorb ammonia or nitrates or phosphates
    i thought of cultivating aerobic bacteria in my filter.

anyway, i do not have a planted tank at the moment. thanks for the replies. i always know the folks in here know their stuff about plants
    thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I think many here have repeatedly noted that plants in general need N, P, K and several trace elements to grow and propagate. That should answer your question, shouldn't it??

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Why worry...

most of us here (does it include me???) have nice wonderful planted without the present of these extra plants sucking up on the NO3 & PO4... So what the fuss is about???

Relax! Power up your CO2, On your lights, add fert according to the plants population and everything will work out well!
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:cb23b38556="limsteel"]Why worry...

most of us here (does it include me???) have nice wonderful planted without the present of these extra plants sucking up on the NO3 & PO4... So what the fuss is about???

Relax! Power up your CO2, On your lights, add fert according to the plants population and everything will work out well![/quote:cb23b38556]

i do not have a planted tank at the moment
    just planning to dip the roots of money plant into the water to take out the nitrates from an ordinary aquarium