Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: killifish

Feedback Score

killifish

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guy's anybody knows where can i get some nice killifish in S'pore. Not the boring common ones but the really nice flash ones. Thanks

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    must common = boring? A. australe is "common" but still a very lovely fish.... likewise Aplocheilus lineatus.... and I am still dying to find some Aplocheilus panchax (the "common" wild killie of Singapore) in LFS.....

anyway, you might have better luck asking in www.killies.com.... as long as you don't equate common with boring there.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:282dbebca2="budak"]must common = boring? A. australe is "common" but still a very lovely fish.... likewise Aplocheilus lineatus.... and I am still dying to find some Aplocheilus panchax (the "common" wild killie of Singapore) in LFS..... [/quote:282dbebca2]
    If the Aplocheilus panchax you have in mind looks like this, drop me an email and I'll see what I can cook up for you.

anyway, you might have better luck asking in www.killies.com.... as long as you don't equate common with boring there.....
    That would be a bitter pill I find hard to swallow!

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Ronnie, still trying to palm off your surplus Aplocheilus panchax anyway I want a pair or two but don't think I can successfully raise them from such a tender young age until "photo-ready".
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:bef224531e="hwchoy"]Ronnie, still trying to palm off your surplus Aplocheilus panchax [/quote:bef224531e]
    Hi Choy, I've cleared up quite alot it... gotta make room for more killie species coming in (I don't have to tell you what my 'addiction' is! )

... anyway I want a pair or two but don't think I can successfully raise them from such a tender young age until "photo-ready".
    If Yan can cook, so can you. These Blue Panchax are not demanding, that even a beginner can keep it alive. You? I have no doubts that you can raise them until their studio session.

Drop by one of these weekends to my 'little corner' and you can shoot my other killies as well (since you're much better at it than I am!)... and I can pack the panchax in those 'take-away' baggies!

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

sure thing ronnie, just put one sexy pair aside for me
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    saw some killis at Ben's 2 days ago.
    there were rachovii and some others (red/yellow body, orangey).
    sorry only know rachovii cos had one before

his new shop is at blk 22 havelock road (same blk as Keong seong)
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    [quote:9b08889a79="mordrake"]saw some killis at Ben's 2 days ago.
    there were rachovii and some others (red/yellow body, orangey).
    sorry only know rachovii cos had one before [/quote:9b08889a79]
    Melvin, perhaps this might help.

Choy, it's done. I've put aside a male and what I believe to be 2 females (not sure since I ain't no sexologist!)

Budak, I've also saved some young juvenile for you. Drop me a note for collection. I'm mostly home on Saturdays after 4pm.

...which reminds me... I didn't really answer the original question which goes, "Hey guy's anybody knows where can i get some nice killifish in S'pore. Not the boring common ones but the really nice flash ones."
    Hot (or whatever you choose to call yourself), there is a small but dedicated group of killie hobbyists who are maintaining quite a few species of killifish. Although it doesn't cover all 700+ known and described species, there is a small representation from the various genus including, nothobranchius, rivulus, aphyosemion, simpsonichthys, terranatos, plus a few more I can't recall.

I'm mostly a 'Aphyosemion person' but do have in maintenance, Rivulus xiphidius and Riv rectocaudatus. Have a look at the link provided and you'll see that even 'boring common' killies will make you a proud owner.... if you know how to care for it.

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    thanks Ronnie, picked up some tips on fish photography too
    Cheers,
    Melvin Lim

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys for the input, I was looking for more of F.gardneri,A.Lagos species. Something with a little more color. By the way the name is Terence Ho, therefore "Ho.t". Where exactly is Ben's? Besides Blk22 Havelock Rd.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:4754f21ec7="hot"]Thanks guys for the input, I was looking for more of F.gardneri,A.Lagos species. Something with a little more color. By the way the name is Terence Ho, therefore "Ho.t"[/quote:4754f21ec7]

well hello Terence, nice to have a real name that I can refer to!

Whatever you're looking for, here's more to wet your appetite!

These are Aplochelius kirchmayeri or commonly known as Goa Killies. Not the most colorful around, but their iridescent spots are very attractive. Larger pic here and if you want to know more, click on my 'Goa Page'.

This fish belongs to the Fundulopanchax genus and is a gardneri, from the "N'sukka" population. Hence the full name is Fundulopanchax gardneri N'sukka. IIRC, there's at least 80 such species!! Bigger pic here.

A recent purchase and a very young Fp. amieti. It'll grow up to 7cm and has just started to color up. Big pic here.

Another young fundulopanchax... this is also a young male, Fp filamentosus.

Aside from the color variants of Aphyosemion australe you've seen in my 'photo page', here's one more... which I believe is called "Orange Spotless".

The colors are more orangey and intense than the 'Gold' variant. Big pic here.

Another aphyosemion, Ap. striatum.

An extremely active fellow... hard to get a sharp pic of him, but you get the idea. I expect him to color up even more as he matures. A bigger blur pic!

Before you head out and put these little jewels into your tank, try not to mix the fishes from the same species together because they can hybridize.

If you intend to breed them, please don't produce 'Qin Kang' killie. Serious killie hobbyists will frown and I'll be the first one to snap at you!

Enjoy... and keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,
    I think I have one or two Australe orange from you that is spotless also.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ce14005dfd="PohSan"]I think I have one or two Australe orange from you that is spotless also.[/quote:ce14005dfd]
    Hi Poh San,
    Color 'throw-backs' are harder to detect in younger frys that have not colored up and the australe is one of those species that has many morphs.

It's probably for this reason that I'll be bringing in another line of population coded AUS "Chocolate" and maybe discontinuing my other AUS lines. I breed and raise the fishes separately but 'accidents' can happen and I want to avoid that.

If 'spotless' is not your cup of tea, come over and swap for those with pokka-dots!

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi Ronnie,
    The answer is I love those "spotless" Orange. I actually wanted to ask you if I could hand on your Aplocheilus panchax. And also getting some of your new line of Chocolate later if possible.

I will see what I can offered in return during the egg ordering.

Regards,
    Ong Poh San

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi guys I'm here.

Just to share with you a few more photos on the killifish. They're simply beautiful.

Sorry for my poor photography...
    Anyone willing to give me a free lesson on that?

Click here for the very colourful Nothobranchius species

Please ignore the name on the image. It should be Aphyosemion bitaeniatum Lagos
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:ebbb9c9692="PohSan"]The answer is I love those "spotless" Orange.[/quote:ebbb9c9692]
    Ah! Love is a many splendored thing and it's different strokes for different folks!

Poh San,
    Personally, I prefer the AUS 'Chocolate' first and the 'Orange', a close second. I initially found the 'Gold' a tad boring... in that there isn't much patterns and variation. However, as the 'Gold' matures, I found the opalescent fringe between the caudal extension to be quite attractive. It's a milky iridescence that you find in an opal.

Fortunately, Stormhawk's sharp eagle eyes saved the day when he was helping to sort out a bunch of killies and persuaded me to retain this "Super-duper, ultra-Orange Spotless" for posterity.

I'm not good with 'selective breeding' but will attempt to see if I can get a line of this going.

I actually wanted to ask you if I could hand on your Aplocheilus panchax. And also getting some of your new line of Chocolate later if possible.
    I've distributed away most of the Aplocheilus and the remaining few are for Choy and 'Budak' (since he was looking for it too). If Budak opts out, I'll save it for you then.

The 'coded' AUS Chocolate's is still in the USA and it will be a while before I can get the next generation ready for distribution. I'll drop you a note when that happens.

I will see what I can offered in return during the egg ordering.
    Yeah, that's a very good idea and in the spirit of killie keepers. When the weather warms up and in favor of shipping, I'll see if I can organise a group order.

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Very nice fishes. Just a quick OT here, your text annotation for “copyright” should be using the © sign and not the ® sign, which means “Registered trademark”.

You can also use “(c)” as a replacement if you don't know how to get the character.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:2562d329="hwchoy"]Very nice fishes. Just a quick OT here, your text annotation for “copyright” should be using the © sign and not the ® sign, which means “Registered trademark”.[/quote:2562d329]

Point noted.

These pictures are taken quite a while back....I'm trying to save up for a decent camera and retake all the pictures for a new website on killifishes. Sad to say I have limited knowledge on photography, image editing softwares and webpage designing tools. I think I'll have to go for a crash course before I can embark on this project...
    Au SL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    just to let you know, very briefly, that it's not just the camera, you also need a lot of light (i.e. FLASH) so save money for that as well. In fact if you camera is "OK" then the priority is to get external flash.

check out the photography subforum where you can checkout some of the threads.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re:

[quote:708fe73bf8="budak"].... and I am still dying to find some Aplocheilus panchax (the "common" wild killie of Singapore) in LFS..... [/quote:708fe73bf8]
    Budak, in case you missed reading between the lines, there's a few juvenile Aplocheilus panchax waiting for you to bring them home.

Please let me know, otherwise you'd have to wrestle it away Poh San

Keep 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast