Images
    Country
    United_States

DIY fertiplant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Several folks here in the USA are a bit ticked at price gouging, fertiplant is roughly 50$+ plus shipping.
    It's mainly lignite, an organic deposit somewhere between peat and coal, sort of like compressed old peat.

I am going to be soaking it to see if it absorbs KNO3, PO4 etc and what rate is leeches these back out.

I honestly cannot say that this lignite(runs about 5-6$ for 25lbs) is better than adding peat but it seems it might have some properties that make it a little better. Leonardite is a more common name sometimes.

A cheap version of the Eco complete is MPV Turface Black, it's about the same thing chemically and is about the same density and size as EC, both are rich in iron/traces and porous, high CEC etc.

It runs about 8$ for a 50lb bag.

Not sure if you folks can get that over thjere, but it's worth a look. They add the MPV turface on Baseball diamonds etc. They make red and also a black color.

I've used the red for many years, a bit light weight for my taste but not much different than EC. Adding black silica sand etc to either EC or the Black turface would still lookn decent and not tacky and give it some weight if you decided it was not to your liking.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I had always associated lignite, which is in effect low grade coal fuel with high ash and sulfur content, with the smouldering ashes of the Iron Curtain East European mining and heavy industries. I think it sells for something like US$10 per ton in commodity markets.