Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Help ID this killifish

Hi! I think it might be a Fundulopanchax gardneri. Can't really see the picture seem to be quite small. :\
    Cheers!
    griffinkid

Keeping | Nannostomus Eques, Pseudomugil furcatus, Sphaerichthys osphromenoides, Pseudepiplatys annulatus and Corydoras hastatus |

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

Yes, it's way too small to determine species. Possibly a form of F. Gardneri of which there a 'gazzilion' races but it could be a number of other fundulopanchax species as well. (BTW: this is my first post on the forum, got to get rolling!)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the help anyway. Sorry about the picture.

Anyway I am concentrating on the A.australe (orange) now. Hopefully i am able to breed it.

Iain.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by viejo View Post
    Possibly a form of F. Gardneri of which there a 'gazzilion' races...
    Definitely a Fundulopanchax but since there wasn't any collection codes appended to the trio that Iain acquired, it's best to leave it as "AS" (aquarium strain) to minimize confusion. Very hardy species nonetheless.

BTW, "viejo", perhaps you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself and the types of fishes you're keeping/maintaining?

Iain, the AUS Orange are attractive, hardy to water parameter shifts, etc, but if you plan to breed them, place the tank somewhere cool, with lots of plants and a spawning mop. IMHE, best breeding period for well conditioned killies are almost always during the monsoon season. For them, a 3-week water-incubation works better than peat incubation.
    I'm back & keeping 'em fingers wet,
    Ronnie Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    United States

"BTW, "viejo", perhaps you'd like to tell us a little more about yourself and the types of fishes you're keeping/maintaining?"
    Well Ronnie, I really don't care for the 'look at me' game but basically, I have been keeping & working with fish & other animals since the mid- 1940's with a few dry periods in between. I have been involved with aquaculture, collecting, importing, etc. on both a hobbyist & professional level. I presently reside in the Western USA in an apartment which limits my tankspace drastically (not really a bad thing, to be truthful). Presently I am keeping fresh water fishes, mostly some dwarf & medium cichlids - Geophagus sp. 'Tapajos', Microgeophagus altispinosa & Ramirezi, some apistogrammas & 3 species of hemichromis.

L.M. BROWN
    Last edited by Shi Xuan; 25th Jul 2012 at 20:34. Reason: Quotation